Will I lose 6 months if I renew passport early?

Thighlander

Not sure how it works in other countries but when I last renewed my uk passport I did it early and so my current passport runs for 10 years 7 months - the issue date is September 07 (when I renewed it) but the expiry date is April 18 (10 years after my previous passport was due to expire - April 08)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Each passport is good for 10yrs. so 10yrs from when the new passport is created

Renewed my U.S. Passport last month which did not expire until June 2014. I wanted to renew it before extending my current Visa and venturing off on some travel. The above info is correct. It is 10 years from the date of renewal. No credit for time left on the old passport. 10 years instead of 10 years and a few months really doesn't seem like much of a concern to me.

• Like 2

I renewed my uk passport 10days ago. the old one had expiry of 2020 but it was full.

The new one expires july 2024....so 10yr and 10month.

Really expiry longitude is of no consequence over here its the number of pages that's important, so I got the bumper edition this time.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

• Like 1

I renewed my uk passport 10days ago. the old one had expiry of 2020 but it was full.

Really expiry longitude is of no consequence over here its the number of pages that's important, so I got the bumper edition this time.

That was a good turn around 10 days if i don't mind saying so myself .. ? i have to do a renew passport in around 4 months time .. when it hits the six month mark and was kind of shitting myself but when i need to apply is around March .. was that sent to the embassy in CM or did you send it direct to HKG ...

That was a good turn around 10 days if i don't mind saying so myself .. ?   i have to do a renew passport  in around 4 months time .. when it hits the six month mark and was kind of shitting myself but when i need to apply is around  March .. was that sent to the embassy in CM or did you send it direct to HKG ... 

haha, the trick was that I was in england and I went to the passport office in liverpool, it was actually a 4hr turnaround.:rolleyes:

If less than six months remaining on the old UK passport, that time is added to the expiry date of the new passport.

Slightly wrong c m:

"Time left on an existing passport is added to your new one - up to a maximum of 9 months."

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

Thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

That was a good turn around 10 days if i don't mind saying so myself .. ? i have to do a renew passport in around 4 months time .. when it hits the six month mark and was kind of shitting myself but when i need to apply is around March .. was that sent to the embassy in CM or did you send it direct to HKG ...

haha, the trick was that I was in england and I went to the passport office in liverpool, it was actually a 4hr turnaround.rolleyes.gif

Oh understand and thanks for the reply.. ? I also got mine done via Liverpool but taken around 3 weeks to do when i was there and did it via the post office ,, Just looking via the embassy website at a renew bloody not cheap to say the least but when you look at flights these days back to the UK at 45,000THB a pop for a return ticket and that's with advance booking seems still the easiest route by far ...

Edited by Notstupid30

Last time I added new pages to my U.S. passport, it cost ½ the price of a new passport. And the passport still expires at the same time. I kicked myself in the butt when it was time to renew - wasted time and money just to have room for a couple more stamps.

To me, worrying about losing a few months is silly thinking - and it is in your thinking that's the problem.

Got 2 new UK/EU passports with "chips"...(.but no fish) since the IRIS ID system has been chopped by Home Office and seems that the machine readable is now in use but I have not tried it yet.

Old PPs surrendered early and got the additional 9 Months (tot 10 years +)...end of 2024

Wrong!!

Any time unused on your old passport is added to your new one - not sure if there is an actual limit to how much time can be added.

Not sure about US passports, but UK passports can be renewed up to 9 months before the old one expires. The new passport then incorporates the extra time so that the new passport expires ten years after the old one was due to end.

Same here!! - seems that US citizens do not share the same fortune with theirs!!

You will lose a few months. My passport was due in March of 2014, no more pages left, so I

opted for a new passport at $110 instead of $82 for additional pages. I lost 5 months, but

I'm good for 10 years, You usually need at least 6 months on your passport for Visas to

some countries, so no real loss...........

Wrong!!

Any time unused on your old passport is added to your new one - not sure if there is an actual limit to how much time can be added.

Correct !! in Aus that is.

Wrong!!

Correct !! in Aus that is.

Seems that we Brits are more fortunate than you yanks and Austrians then!!rolleyes.gif.

If less than six months remaining on the old UK passport, that time is added to the expiry date of the new passport.

Slightly wrong c m:

"Time left on an existing passport is added to your new one - up to a maximum of 9 months."

I renewed my UK passport last year, as I was going to Malaysia and would not have had the necessary 6 months left when I entered. My passport was due to expire on the 18th November 2012, but when I received my new 50 page passport which had to be processed via Hongkong (and took about 2 weeks) it was renewed from 30th May 2012; so I LOST 6 months, which considering what they charge for it is a blxxdy cheek.

Renewed my U.S. Passport last month which did not expire until June 2014. I wanted to renew it before extending my current Visa and venturing off on some travel. The above info is correct. It is 10 years from the date of renewal. No credit for time left on the old passport. 10 years instead of 10 years and a few months really doesn't seem like much of a concern to me.

Maybe no concern but your govt,has ripped you off.Extra time is added to Australian passports

Slightly wrong c m:

It is correct, I had a water damaged UK passport with almost 5 years "life" to replace,

# new one came back 10 years and 9 months.