It.....What An Insult?

theblether

How do you say "it" in Thai? Is it "man"?

Is it true that it's used to refer to animals in the way explained to me? I think if I heard that I'd explode. I think most of us would.

Man (it) is the rude address when they are talking about you.

Mung (you) is the rude version when speaking directly to you.

Goo (I) is the rude form of address when speaking about yourself.

Aii is the rude version of mister. (so if your name is Tony, Aii Tony is an insult)

Eee is the rude version of miss/mrs. (so if your name is Charlotte, Eee Charlotte is an insult)

Wa is the rude ending of a sentence, replacing Ka or Kap (Krap)

All accurate - However an exception I've witnessed is with close friends in a pub environment, particularly the Aii and Eee and Wa, not so much the Man, Mung and Goo which is perhaps a step more crass or insulting.

Total crap.

Thai men who are close friends often use the personal pronouns, "goo" and "meung" amongst themselves.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite funny.

Foreigners getting worked up about a language they don't understand fully.

Some probably freak out in the vegetable ailse in Tesco and a Thai near them points out the potatoes. rolleyes.gif

It's easy to feel insulted when you aren't proficient at the language- it's easy to misenterpret too- but at some point, you have to ask yourself, would they disprespect a middle class Thai businessman while he listened? Hell no! There might be repurcussions- and many of us here, are middle class businessmen! So ask yourself, would you stand there and grin like a dumb idiot and let some clowns make sport of you? Would you just walk away and laugh? Or would you take measures to avoid that crap in the future? Depending on the situation, I know what I would do!

My wife says 'mun keeow' often to me. This means something like I could just eat you up.

I say it to babies too.

thats different though, i always thought of it as a phrase, dont know the spelling, but seems to be pronounced differently

You are correct. That is an entirely different "mun/man".

Blether mate, this is something that has nearly driven me to homicide in the past.

I've heard it countless times in tourist areas in restaurants and bars and not always with bar girls.

I have been referred to as 'mun' many times.

But be careful it can be used 'politely'- it is often used affectionately with younger family members and used between friends implying a good friendship.

Here's what Thai people say - they refer to the third person as mun (มัน) when they are a lower status. Of course as foreigners we have no status. It usually implies that that they don't like the person.

Students call teachers mun because they don't like them.

However, it is still used in a very disrespectful/offensive/cowardly way too. It is understandable in some cases as there are lots of bloody stupid and sad cases of "farang" here.

Differentiation, attitude, and acceptance are the keys to happiness regarding this word, and indeed the "faarang" word for myself. smile.png

I'd say that all Thais refer to 'farang' as mun when talking about farang in general. Example "farang mun chawp poo ying peu dam" (like dark skinned girls.)

Got ya, so it's "mun", I won't forget that. I understand what you mean though about proper usage of the word.

I bet your glad you went to mediation too and that stopped you from carrying out your homicidal thoughts biggrin.png

Actually, I've heard it a couple of times by monks - not sure what to make of that.

Some monks use'rude' pronouns to refer to themselves. It's something to do with getting rid of the 'self'.

Yup, the nun last week explained that it's necessary to lose attachment to your ego, so I could see why Monks would self denigrate themselves using that word.

I pointed out to the Nun that I don't have an ego. I don't think she believed me. xmellow.png.pagespeed.ic.vv3GCG8Loc.webp

They're not necessarily denigrating themselves. Of course I'm conjecturing as to the actual content of the conversation but they could simply referring to their physical vehicles / egos as 'it', as indeed one would refer to any object (whether it be physical, abstract or whatever), the same as in English.

Edited by Trembly

Blether mate, this is something that has nearly driven me to homicide in the past.

I've heard it countless times in tourist areas in restaurants and bars and not always with bar girls.

I have been referred to as 'mun' many times.

But be careful it can be used 'politely'- it is often used affectionately with younger family members and used between friends implying a good friendship.

Here's what Thai people say - they refer to the third person as mun (มัน) when they are a lower status. Of course as foreigners we have no status. It usually implies that that they don't like the person.

Students call teachers mun because they don't like them.

However, it is still used in a very disrespectful/offensive/cowardly way too. It is understandable in some cases as there are lots of bloody stupid and sad cases of "farang" here.

Differentiation, attitude, and acceptance are the keys to happiness regarding this word, and indeed the "faarang" word for myself. smile.png

I'd say that all Thais refer to 'farang' as mun when talking about farang in general. Example "farang mun chawp poo ying peu dam" (farang they like dark skinned girls.)

It's horrible isn't it.

I frequently used to just stand in a shop while they insulted me, Waited until it was time to pay for my purchases and simply said kao jai Leaw Passathai, and walked out leaving whatever on the counter. The day after they would be tripping over themselves to say Hello and could they help me. Needless to say, i went elsewhere for my purchases.

Go figure lol

Quite funny.

Foreigners getting worked up about a language they don't understand fully.

Some probably freak out in the vegetable ailse in Tesco and a Thai near them points out the potatoes. rolleyes.gif

It's easy to feel insulted when you aren't proficient at the language- it's easy to misenterpret too- but at some point, you have to ask yourself, would they disprespect a middle class Thai businessman while he listened? Hell no! There might be repurcussions- and many of us here, are middle class businessmen! So ask yourself, would you stand there and grin like a dumb idiot and let some clowns make sport of you? Would you just walk away and laugh? Or would you take measures to avoid that crap in the future? Depending on the situation, I know what I would do!

Perhaps one isn't being insulted at all, it's just that one's ignorance and arrogance can make them think they are.

Stand next to the potatoes in Tesco and wait until a Thai say mun farang (It foreigner) while next to you, then go completly batshit insane over the disrespectful insult. rolleyes.gif

Edited by yingyo
  • Like 1

biggrin.png

well yes, but don't worry about the G Friend check out what other thais are saying. By the way this would never happen in my own country because if people were so rude and people understood .... somebody would pull out a gun and ventilate the speaker, oops.

Why do any of you really care what other people say, regardless of nationality or which language it's said in?

Rudeness only reflects badly on the person being rude. You can't control that, nor should you want to.

• Like 2

I'd say that all Thais refer to 'farang' as mun when talking about farang in general. Example "farang mun chawp poo ying peu dam" (farang they like dark skinned girls.)

What you write as "mun" and "dam" is the same short open A in Thai. I believe it should be "man" instead? The "u" sound like "cup" in english is no way near that open A sound, more like in "Chorp" or "Chawp" as you write it. I've seen it other places, but isn't it wrong?
I'm no expert in transliteration but then again I think the Royal Thai Transliteration is terribly misleading. k for gaw gai etc.

I prefer to use a transcription rather than transliteration.

I write it like I hear it. "Chorp" is alien to me. But I say farim for "farm" when those who speak 'proper' English say 'faam'.

Actually, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I say 'mun' for 'it'. I call it a 'closed short a' Then again I say 'man' for 'khao man gai' and the 'mun' is the same word, but obviously meaning 'oil' in the latter.

Dam is not the same vowel. Sadly it's not allowed to write Thai script here. But 'dam' has a sara ah( little circle folled by a curved line), not a sara a like 'mun' has( like a tadpole above it).

Free speech is only free until we start putting conditions on it. I can't control what people say and for the most part, I repay their hate and acidic remarks with a smile and my backside as I leave their wretched stench.

The world if full of hateful, ignorant and bigoted life forms. If we were to punch out all of them, it would take several lifetimes. Since I have only one lifetime, I choose to spend my days in happiness and not give them any of my precious time.

Live and let live.

• Like 2

Why do any of you really care what other people say, regardless of nationality or which language it's said in?

Rudeness only reflects badly on the person being rude. You can't control that, nor should you want to.

Cant control, but when 1 understand what is being said 1 can explain/tell the other about 1s thoughts on the matter. Learning and understanding can go a long way. Hopefully.

My wife says 'mun keeow' often to me. This means something like I could just eat you up.

I say it to babies too.

Ohhhhh noooooo.... the genie is well and truly out of the bottle now.

Apart from husbands and wives and women and babies, over the years, probably thousands of Thai slappers have said 'mun keeow' to millions of punters as a term of endearment.

Now we will have the 'farang is a racist term' advocates frothing at the mouth that mun keeow is some other vicious, racist Thai term and how utterly deplorable it is to be called a 'green thing'.

The keeow in 'mun keeow' doesn't mean green.

'Keeow' is the Thai word for 'chew'

It is not racist in any way.

Edited by Neeranam

biggrin.png

well yes, but don't worry about the G Friend check out what other thais are saying. By the way this would never happen in my own country because if people were so rude and people understood .... somebody would pull out a gun and ventilate the speaker, oops.

I wonder what country you are talking about? I've been around and have not experienced the auto-ventilation you speak of.

Free speech is only free until we start putting conditions on it. I can't control what people say and for the most part, I repay their hate and acidic remarks with a smile and my backside as I leave their wretched stench.

The world if full of hateful, ignorant and bigoted life forms. If we were to punch out all of them, it would take several lifetimes. Since I have only one lifetime, I choose to spend my days in happiness and not give them any of my precious time.

Live and let live.

Is where it's at . . .

Good post.

Cant control, but when 1 understand what is being said 1 can explain/tell the other about 1s thoughts on the matter. Learning and understanding can go a long way. Hopefully.

If the remarks are said because of something the person is doing offends the person making the remark then yes, it's about learning to adapt to the culture we're living in.

If it's just another off the cuff rude comment for no reason then just leave be and put it down to where it comes from and move on. It really doesn't matter. Truly, it doesn't.

...I have see it with my own eyes...not only wives....this is nationwide......

...if you tell others (foreigners they say you are paranoid or negative....

...if you confront the Thais...they deny it and say you heard wrong.....

....'Vileland'........the lies, hatred, resentment...are palpable...nauseating....

...I am trying to stick it out for my daughters......besides, we have no options to leave right now...and may never if their psycho mother and her clan and assorted gangs get their way...

...it is some sick game for them to win...with all the odds stacked against us....

...my daughters are trophies...possessions....objects...'spoils'....to have...keep...control....

...and to eventually corrupt and turn them into one of their own......

....my burden is great...greatly outnumbered...all assets gone....(you know the story)....

Sorry to hear of your pain. If you believe in a high power, perhaps prayer will bring you some relief.

I think most guys would get upset if they knew their wife was referring to them as a dog in public.

Did you know that the King's dog, khun Tong Daeng is never referred to as 'mun'.
  • Like 1

...I have see it with my own eyes...not only wives....this is nationwide......

...if you tell others (foreigners they say you are paranoid or negative....

...if you confront the Thais...they deny it and say you heard wrong.....

....'Vileland'........the lies, hatred, resentment...are palpable...nauseating....

...I am trying to stick it out for my daughters......besides, we have no options to leave right now...and may never if their psycho mother and her clan and assorted gangs get their way...

...it is some sick game for them to win...with all the odds stacked against us....

...my daughters are trophies...possessions....objects...'spoils'....to have...keep...control....

...and to eventually corrupt and turn them into one of their own......

....my burden is great...greatly outnumbered...all assets gone....(you know the story)....

Sorry to hear of your pain. If you believe in a high power, perhaps prayer will bring you some relief.

May I add that silence and patience are your best weapons. Dont keep tearing at the wound. Set about rebuilding your own life and once you eventually get the kids back in your life be the father that every child would want.

Dont fall to pieces.

• Like 1

I think most guys would get upset if they knew their wife was referring to them as a dog in public.

I think most guys would want to know their marriage is a sham and take the hint to get out. No need to get upset, just very useful information upon which to make alternative arrangements. Again, always put it down to where it comes from.

• Like 2

Did you know that the King's dog, khun Tong Daeng is never referred to as 'mun'.

You learn something new.......

I think most guys would want to know their marriage is a sham and take the hint to get out. No need to get upset, just very useful information upon which to make alternative arrangements. Again, always put it down to where it comes from.

Yes. I was referring not to strangers but to the circle within before. We think same.

• Like 1

Hence the point of the thread......you can usually tell something is amiss through body language. people cant help giving themselves away at times.

This thread has been an education to me and I bet a few others too. A few folk would love to know whats really being said at family gatherings.