It.....What An Insult?

theblether

This whole thread is more about Thai-bashing and disguised racism than anything else.

Once again, Thai is not a race, insulting them does not make you a racist.

A white male racist would not have sex, marry or reproduce with a Asian female, of any nationality.

Edited by FiftyTwo

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all when you use the word Farang in Thai it must be preceded by the classifier Khon, as in Khon Thai, Khon Asia, Khon Italy etc. Not using the classifier is ignorant and insulting; or are Caucasians not worthy of a simple classifier?

I do not believe this is correct, Farang is a generic term for caucasians and does not require Khon.

Khon Angkrit, Khon Ciin, Khon Iipon, Khon Frarangseet - Yes, Khon Farang - No

Khon Dtan Chaat.

Person from another country.

Foreigner !

Once referred by this from a thai. Happily surprised. Way more appropriate than farang !

My wife started this with my niece when she was very young in the basis that, she knew I didn't like the word farang being muttered all around me.

This whole thread is more about Thai-bashing and disguised racism than anything else.

no, it makes you a bigot

It might very well, but one would first have to examine the type of insult or complaint.

If I were to claim many Thai policemen and politicians are corrupt, that wouldn't make me anything apart from observant.

If I were to claim the Thai education system is a disgrace, that would not make me a bigot either.

If I were to claim all Thai men are unfaithful wife beaters, that would, in fact, make me a bigot.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

I read the OP again...

"She explained to me that's the way your refer to an animal, such as a dog"

hence the post 140: "I think most guys would get upset if they knew their wife was referring to them as a dog in public."

Why such as a "dog" its totally biased, why not better examples, like a cockroach or like a toadstool ?

whistling.gif

Then post 140 could have been: I think most guys would get upset if they knew their wife was referring to them as a cockroach in public."

Of course it could also have been "man" that's the way you refer to an animal such as a lion or an eagle rolleyes.gif

For the little story when I asked my wife I said: "man" is for sunak, meo yes? Yes!

Cannot use for people? Yes your friends like Martin like Denis, but for people cannot.

But for people people you dislike, feel distaste for? euuu... yes maybe!

So for me not sure at all of the "bad woman" meanings...did she mastered herself this word properly?

IMHO the mountain brought forth a mouse coffee1.gif

Not really. It's an ingrained will known slur.

Using it to describe your husband when he can't use it, is a pretty cast iron monstrous insult.

no, it makes you a bigot
It might very well, but one would first have to examine the type of insult or complaint.

If I were to claim many Thai policemen and politicians are corrupt, that wouldn't make me anything apart from observant.

If I were to claim the Thai education system is a disgrace, that would not make me a bigot either.

If I were to claim all Thai men are unfaithful wife beaters, that would, in fact, make me a bigot.

Fact is, many Thais consider themselves a separate race. Bizarre. The uber people of south east Asia.

• Like 1

Here is a quote from that "Pimp in Pattaya" thread.

As for expats, you should own a hotel in Pattaya and see the "quality" coming over, Some, make dog $hit look good, so really Sharky is in no danger of over doing it.wink.png

Tell me, Mr Guesthouse -- when was the last time you heard a Thai compare farangs to dog $hit?

Whether you like it or not, farangs are far more likely to insult other farangs than Thais. Western women, in particular, can be especially scathing.

I don't know 'Lemoncake', though I might perhaps make a judgement of the kind of person s/he is on the basis of the lanaguage s/he uses, I hope you'll accept my right to do so privately.

Nevertheless, I'm lost as to what your point is. I certainly regard the langauge used in the post you have quoted as offensive but what does that have to do with anyone Thai or non Thai using offensive terms against other people?

Or are you arguing that because Lemoncake uses offensive terms against his/her fellow foreigners then it is acceptable for everyone else to do likewise?

My God, the realization that one isn't held in the highest respect or even liked very much.

The shock.

Don't they know what you Westerners have done for us little brown people!

Don't think white people have done much bad stuff to Thais.

Now the Japanese, that is a different matter entirely.

• Like 2

A ex Thai gf used to refer to me as "pee bar" and I thought she just joking meant older man. I would call her "Nong ****"

I was telling another Thai this recently and she laughed and said bar means man who wears shabby clothes or a bit of a down and outer. hmmmm. Or was she using 'bar' in an affectionate way?

As i understand it Pee Ba means crazy. Don't think it is a reference to a man who wears shabby clothes. Sometimes it is used in an affectionate way, an ex of mine sometimes said it when i made her laugh by saying or doing something that amused her. Sometimes i called her pee ba too, but always in an affectionate way, and it was always accepted as such. But of course if it is said in anger it would be taken as an insult.

• Like 1

the word mun (man) is very offensive to anybody. Thai or a foreigner.

My gf everytime when she is angry at me and complains to her mother about me she uses MUN. in my presence. she knows i understand it so she says it in front of me just to further aggreviate me and show her anger.

i hate it.

i also hate it when they call foreigners A FARANG.

it is very offensive word, as in thai there is a word for a foreigner which translates as KHON TANG PRATHET/ TANG CHAAT.

• Like 1

Blether mate, this is something that has nearly driven me to homicide in the past.

I've heard it countless times in tourist areas in restaurants and bars and not always with bar girls.

I have been referred to as 'mun' many times.

But be careful it can be used 'politely'- it is often used affectionately with younger family members and used between friends implying a good friendship.

Here's what Thai people say - they refer to the third person as mun (มัน) when they are a lower status. Of course as foreigners we have no status. It usually implies that that they don't like the person.

Students call teachers mun because they don't like them.

However, it is still used in a very disrespectful/offensive/cowardly way too. It is understandable in some cases as there are lots of bloody stupid and sad cases of "farang" here.

Differentiation, attitude, and acceptance are the keys to happiness regarding this word, and indeed the "faarang" word for myself. smile.png

I'd say that all Thais refer to 'farang' as mun when talking about farang in general. Example "farang mun chawp poo ying peu dam" (like dark skinned girls.)

Got ya, so it's "mun", I won't forget that. I understand what you mean though about proper usage of the word.

I bet your glad you went to mediation too and that stopped you from carrying out your homicidal thoughts biggrin.png

It's neither mun or man, it's somewhere between the 2. We don't have an equivalent to the vowel used which as you have probably guessed by now is somewhere between an 'a' and a 'u'. the word can be used without thinking , but yes it can be used when you don't like someone.

My God, the realization that one isn't held in the highest respect or even liked very much.

The shock.

My God, the realization that some foreigners understand the insulting langauge some Thais are addressing them with.

A ex Thai gf used to refer to me as "pee bar" and I thought she just joking meant older man. I would call her "Nong ****"

I was telling another Thai this recently and she laughed and said bar means man who wears shabby clothes or a bit of a down and outer. hmmmm. Or was she using 'bar' in an affectionate way?

As i understand it Pee Ba means crazy. Don't think it is a reference to a man who wears shabby clothes. Sometimes it is used in an affectionate way, an ex of mine sometimes said it when i made her laugh by saying or doing something that amused her. Sometimes i called her pee ba too, but always in an affectionate way, and it was always accepted as such. But of course if it is said in anger it would be taken as an insult.

Thanks for explaining that. I thought it was some fetish pub.

• Like 1

A white male racist would not have sex, marry or reproduce with a Asian female, of any nationality.

Have you never been to an farang bar ?

honestly who cares what Thai's think or say

as usually it is about them being tired, cold, hot, hungry, bored

there is no subtance to much of what they say

so why worry is some low class gold digging Thai refers to you as it?

Nonsense. What a racist thing to say.

I asked my one and only hi-so friend and she said that she hears farang referred to as :mun" at the RBSC(Royal Bkk Sports Club). SHe said she had to restrain herself many times as 'muns' were said about her husband, who incidentally was an American diplomat.

• Like 2

The shock.

My God, the realization that some foreigners understand the insulting langauge some Thais are addressing them with.

Yet still they're here, paying Thais a salary to live with them. They must have very deep self-esteem issues.

The shock.

Yet still they're here, paying Thais a salary to live with them. They must have very deep self-esteem issues.

The purpose of the thread is to make people aware of this derogatory term. HeijoShincool has just stated that he heard it said in front of him today and addressed it.

The self esteem issue would kick in if a partner knew they were being so deeply insulted and did nothing about it.

• Like 2

I asked my one and only hi-so friend and she said that she hears farang referred to as :mun" at the RBSC(Royal Bkk Sports Club). SHe said she had to restrain herself many times as 'muns' were said about her husband, who incidentally was an American diplomat.

sorry i studied and graduated in anti discrimination law and what i said is not racist

next

I have actually made this mistake just in everyday speaking. Since I often AM talking about objects, I will say "man." But I can remember a few times I said "man" referring to a person (seriously, just a brain fart....my Thai is far from perfect) and people really react. Just by judging from people's reactions when I mess up, it seems like a pretty bad way of talking about someone.

sorry i studied and graduated in anti discrimination law and what i said is not racist

next

its not racist, its silly

We just gotta put up with comments uttered about us here in a disparaging way as it is no different to what happens in other countries towards foreigners.

In Australia the Chinese copped it 150 years ago, the Italians and Greeks 60 years ago, Vietnamese 40 years ago and now the Africans. All these people lived through the snide remarks and innuendo and are now blended into society.

Australia is now a more multicultural country and racism is not as blatant as it once was.

Will Thailand ever become multicultural?

• Like 1

We just gotta put up with comments uttered about us here in a disparaging way as it is no different to what happens in other countries towards foreigners.

In Australia the Chinese copped it 150 years ago, the Italians and Greeks 60 years ago, Vietnamese 40 years ago and now the Africans. All these people lived through the snide remarks and innuendo and are now blended into society.

Australia is now a more multicultural country and racism is not as blatant as it once was.

it already is: thai, lao, khmer. suay, hill tribes, chinese, indian, malay, burmese, vietnamese, etc

• Like 2

it already is: thai, lao, khmer. suay, hill tribes, chinese, indian, malay, burmese, vietnamese, etc

And are they all accepted, treated equally and without prejudices ?