It.....What An Insult?

theblether

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your wife is referring to the use of the word ****Thai language removed**** - while it is to a degree insulting when used with one's partner, if she uses it with everyone then she's just from an unsophisticated background.

Edited by metisdead
This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.

How do you say "it" in Thai? Is it "man"?

Is it true that it's used to refer to animals in the way explained to me? I think if I heard that I'd explode. I think most of us would.

Man (it) is the rude address when they are talking about you.

Mung (you) is the rude version when speaking directly to you.

Goo (I) is the rude form of address when speaking about yourself.

Aii is the rude version of mister. (so if your name is Tony, Aii Tony is an insult)

Eee is the rude version of miss/mrs. (so if your name is Charlotte, Eee Charlotte is an insult)

Wa is the rude ending of a sentence, replacing Ka or Kap (Krap)

All accurate - However an exception I've witnessed is with close friends in a pub environment, particularly the Aii and Eee and Wa, not so much the Man, Mung and Goo which is perhaps a step more crass or insulting.

What about the word eee laan. That's not rude to call a young girl that. Like calling a youg boy buk hum noi.

How do you say "it" in Thai? Is it "man"?

Is it true that it's used to refer to animals in the way explained to me? I think if I heard that I'd explode. I think most of us would.

Man (it) is the rude address when they are talking about you.

Mung (you) is the rude version when speaking directly to you.

Goo (I) is the rude form of address when speaking about yourself.

Aii is the rude version of mister. (so if your name is Tony, Aii Tony is an insult)

Eee is the rude version of miss/mrs. (so if your name is Charlotte, Eee Charlotte is an insult)

Wa is the rude ending of a sentence, replacing Ka or Kap (Krap)

All accurate - However an exception I've witnessed is with close friends in a pub environment, particularly the Aii and Eee and Wa, not so much the Man, Mung and Goo which is perhaps a step more crass or insulting.

Yes, quite true, with my close (irreverant) Thai friends this is often the case. We are not all unlike each other. The same banter is to be heard in any Australian pub, BBQ etc. when good mates gather for a cool drink.

Thais look down on Thai women who have farang boyfriends or husbands old enough to be their fathers or grandfathers.

Note to BJ.

Thais look down on any Thai girl with a non-Asian man.

(age of man not relevant)

(Sorry David)

Edited by FiftyTwo

Thais look down on Thai women who have farang boyfriends or husbands old enough to be their fathers or grandfathers.

Note to BJ.

Thais look down on any Thai girl with a non-Asian man.

(age of man not relevant)

(Sorry David)

That's OK ... we all have different opinions ... my experiences are nothing special.

I relish being challenged ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Here are a few facts that some of you may not be aware of:

Thais look down on Thai women who have farang boyfriends or husbands old enough to be their father’s or grandfather’s.

They look down on the farang vest wearing, short wearing and flip flop wearing slobs seen walking about in public places, other than on a beach.

They frown upon the slutty Thai women types seen walking Hand in hand with some tattooed, hair shaven, stubble growthed wife beater vest wearing farang low life.

They frown upon elderly white haired, pony tailed, white bearded, tattooed, fat bellied farangs who believe that once they arrive in Thailand, they suddenly become and appear 30 years younger and dress like 20 year olds.

If you fit into any of the categories above, then you should expect criticisms and the Thais to have a low opinion of you, otherwise, yes, they are being rude and insulting.

Awesome post.

• Like 1

Thais look down on Thai women who have farang boyfriends or husbands ...

Awesome post.

Awesomely good or Awesomely bad?

Awesomely awesome.

EDIT: Just noticed that David has modified the post I originally quoted. Tut tut!

Edited by Darren McKenzie
  • Like 1

Here are a few facts that some of you may not be aware of: Thais look down on Thai women who have farang boyfriends or husbands <snip>

Absolute BS of the highest order. Sorry ... and I rarely apologise.

It comes down to individual relationships.

Please don't assume that one rule applies equivalently across all.

David, behave yourself. Take Beetlejucie to task on what he actually said rather than clipping it to avoid a significant factor in his comment.

"Thais look down on Thai women who have farang boyfriends or husbands old enough to be their father’s or grandfather’s."

Your edit completely changes the meaning of what BJ said and with it the applicabilty of your response .

I've got to agree with that David, that wasn't a snip, that was a guillotine to the entire sentence.

Here are a few facts that some of you may not be aware of: Thais look down on Thai women who have farang boyfriends or husbands <snip>

Absolute BS of the highest order. Sorry ... and I rarely apologise.

It comes down to individual relationships.

Please don't assume that one rule applies equivalently across all.

David, behave yourself. Take Beetlejucie to task on what he actually said rather than clipping it to avoid a significant factor in his comment.

"Thais look down on Thai women who have farang boyfriends or husbands old enough to be their father’s or grandfather’s."

Your edit completely changes the meaning of what BJ said and with it the applicabilty of your response .

Fair point ... wai.gif

I did quote selectively.

That said, BJ's comment was a general slur on those visiting these fair shores and maybe it was also a disproportionate view or slice of the reality of the quality of the visitors who frequent the Kingdom.

GH ... your observation is valid ... no argument there ... but there are many Thais who are happy their their relationships ... what ever the differences.

Thus my humble opinion ... and open to scrutiny by any ship who sails these shores.

• Like 1

Thais look down on Thai women who have farang boyfriends or husbands old enough to be their father’s or grandfather’s.

They look down on the farang vest wearing, short wearing and flip flop wearing slobs seen walking about in public places, other than on a beach.

They frown upon the slutty Thai women types seen walking Hand in hand with some tattooed, hair shaven, stubble growthed wife beater vest wearing farang low life.

They frown upon elderly white haired, pony tailed, white bearded, tattooed, fat bellied farangs who believe that once they arrive in Thailand, they suddenly become and appear 30 years younger and dress like 20 year olds.

If you fit into any of the categories above, then you should expect criticisms and the Thais to have a low opinion of you, otherwise, yes, they are being rude and insulting.

Are expensive Crocs acceptable? I love my Crocs. Won't give up my Crocs.

• Like 1

****Thai language removed****

It is sometimes used of children, too!

And don't forget the charming Ee dork!

Edited by metisdead
This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.

However an exception I've witnessed is with close friends in a pub environment, particularly the Aii and Eee and Wa,

Yes similar to us using "&lt;deleted&gt;" etc between close friends.

I cracked up once when my wife's ex-colleague and close friend came to visit who she's known for about 20 years. She's now working for one of the international hotel chains as corporate HR or something. They were having a good old gossip about work and there was one acquaintance my wife wasn't sure who the person was so, in mock frustration at my wife's "stupidity", her friend declared "Eee Rat!" while laughing.

As usual it's down to the relationship between the speakers.

OK, I'll throw my tuppence in after consulting mrs mjj. She says that she uses that to describe me (aaaaarrrgghhh), but she uses to describe everyone that is a friend or family, except her mother and grandmother. Her analysis is that it is not an insult with those close to you - she uses it for other members of her family also. However, if you do not know the person or you are in a formal environment, it would not be a good word to use and it can be used as a slur.

From our discussion and trying to find an English equivalent, the closest I can think is using the word, 'she' or 'he' when that person is in the room - something my grandmother hated, ('she, who the cats mother. You know her name don't you!'.). It's not something endearing, but it is OK.

• Like 1

You could also refer to a pot of gold as 'it'. Maybe she meant that.

In any case i'm not surprised about getting insulted full frontal by Thais. You only need to see the body language and intonation and circumstances to know that without knowing Thai. They say the disadvantage of learning to speak Thai is being able to understand how much they insult you behind and in front of your back. But one thing is for sure - they only do it in groups of two or more.

• Like 1

People need to relax a little. This totally - totally - depends on context. The word 'man' - or ****Thai language removed**** - can be used very affectionately. But with anger, it is used as a derogatory term. For instance, mothers can use it - and do - to talk about their naughty two year olds while a drunken man about to enter a fight will also use it with another man he is about to punch. I have been here 16 years and I speak Thai pretty much fluent. I have never heard a woman use the term in a derogatory manner about their husband. I think the woman the OP is referring either doesn't understand the nuances of Thai or is exaggerating the issue. There.

Edited by metisdead

I think this underscores the essential need for farang to learn the local language if they are going to be here long term. And, in order to determine how your Thai GF's, wives, friends really think about you, do keep your mouth shut about knowing the Thai language well enough to know what they're saying about you.

Once that is accomplished and you kick to the curb those people whom you once held in high regard and trust, you can go about the pursuit of establishing genuine, mutual respectful relationships with the locals.