It.....What An Insult?

theblether

We just gotta put up with comments uttered about us here in a disparaging way as it is no different to what happens in other countries towards foreigners.

In Australia the Chinese copped it 150 years ago, the Italians and Greeks 60 years ago, Vietnamese 40 years ago and now the Africans. All these people lived through the snide remarks and innuendo and are now blended into society.

Australia is now a more multicultural country and racism is not as blatant as it once was.

Will Thailand ever become multicultural?

it already is: thai, lao, khmer. suay, hill tribes, chinese, indian, malay, burmese, vietnamese, etc

And are they all accepted, treated equally and without prejudices ?

name me ONE society in the world that can do that??

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't remember which page had a post talking about 'pee ba', but my friend uses it sometimes to mean 'crazy as a ghost' jokingly, but I would bet it could mean a variety of different things.

As one post said, in English slang it is often said when talking about a person "This one did ___", which is effectively the same thing, but is used in a friendly, joking way. I would also bet that 'mun' could be used in the same way.

I can't remember which page had a post talking about 'pee ba', but my friend uses it sometimes to mean 'crazy as a ghost' jokingly, but I would bet it could mean a variety of different things.

Sorry, but you are mixing up your vowel lengths and tones.

The Pee that refers to another individual of similar or slightly higher status or age does almost sound like the Pee that refers to a spirit (usually a bad one)

The Pee Ba, in this example is more than likely, crazy person.

• Like 1

A ex Thai gf used to refer to me as "pee bar" and I thought she just joking meant older man. I would call her "Nong ****"

I was telling another Thai this recently and she laughed and said bar means man who wears shabby clothes or a bit of a down and outer. hmmmm. Or was she using 'bar' in an affectionate way?

As i understand it Pee Ba means crazy. Don't think it is a reference to a man who wears shabby clothes. Sometimes it is used in an affectionate way, an ex of mine sometimes said it when i made her laugh by saying or doing something that amused her. Sometimes i called her pee ba too, but always in an affectionate way, and it was always accepted as such. But of course if it is said in anger it would be taken as an insult.

Totally agree with this , except you should be calling her 'Nong baa' in return in jest ( ' little one crazy') because 'baa' or 'bar' means crazy.

Whats the reason everyones so sensitive ?

Its just words , surely everyone understands 'intent' , anyone can say any word with malicious intent ... you all know that.

'Kow' is the proper way to say 'him/her' in Thai , 'mun' ( not 'man' unless you are Jamaican ) is the way to say 'it'. Calling a person 'It' is not polite at all and should be received as such , unless YOU KNOW the person or they know you , in which case and in jest anything goes.

Mueng is OLD Thai , and is now considered base , but in South Thai its not a bad way to speak at all , just the way they always have spoken.

Should I get all upset when I meet Grandma ( Tuat) again and she says , "Mueng sabaidee mai?" ( You fine no?)

• Like 1

So with meun or mun definitely on the dodgy at best list, what is the word(s) you want to hear someone refer to you as?

'Kow ' is the normally used word for 'he' or 'she' but 'ter' is more specific for 'her' and more definitive.

But you can call your daughter 'maa noi' ( dog little ) as well....

Does this mean you are an abusive father?

Well of course it doesnt , the Thai play with language just as you do 'ya tossers' ...sorry , just demonstrating ....

We just gotta put up with comments uttered about us here in a disparaging way as it is no different to what happens in other countries towards foreigners.

In Australia the Chinese copped it 150 years ago, the Italians and Greeks 60 years ago, Vietnamese 40 years ago and now the Africans. All these people lived through the snide remarks and innuendo and are now blended into society.

Australia is now a more multicultural country and racism is not as blatant as it once was.

it already is: thai, lao, khmer. suay, hill tribes, chinese, indian, malay, burmese, vietnamese, etc
And are they all accepted, treated equally and without prejudices ?

No. But since when did being multi cultural suggest that it meant that all cultures would be held in equal esteem?

In fact, it is the is desire to create this unifying Thainess that probably leads to this societal one upmanship.

• Like 1

The 'Man Khieow' quote means something like ... I want to bite it ...a term of endearment...often used to babies. In my early visits to Thailand my friend was betrothed to a girl from Phichit and we often went to visit her family there. His girl had a youger sister of about 10 years of age and on several occasions she saw me with my shirt off in the early morning when i had just got up. The mother used to say (in Thai) 'a red shirt is not beautiful' meaning that my bare chest should have a shirt on. The 10 year old would make as if to grab a nipple and twist it saying 'man khieow'. I was well respected in their family so I knew I wasn't being verbally abused even though my Thai was still fairly rudimentary then.

In the North of Thailand and Issan where much is from the Lao language the word 'men' means yes or right or correct....as in 'men' as an answer to 'men boh?' isn't it...... or 'boh men' meaning not so or not true.

The farang word I usually react to by saying...no I'm a pineapple this month...last month i was an orange and next I'll be a papaya....I'm bored with being a guava fruit all the time...all said in jest and with my usual smile so it gets a goos reception and smiles all around.

I didn't make this sort of remark about any of them, so they shouldn't make that sort of remark about me.

Or are you saying we have some sort of 'racial debt' taking place?

'Kow ' is the normally used word for 'he' or 'she' but 'ter' is more specific for 'her' and more definitive.

Well of course it doesnt , the Thai play with language just as you do 'ya tossers' ...sorry , just demonstrating ....

ter is the familiar version of you (khun), not gender specific, not he/she.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Yes ter is you familiar or with subordinate, but it is "also" gender specific for she (literary)

Yes ter is you familiar or with subordinate, but it is "also" gender specific for she (literary)

ter is not totally gender specific. It is used between intermites as a personal pronoun. Wives often call their husband ter. It is falling out of use these days but is still used. Children often use it. It is also uese in the formal titles of royal personages.

Pot calling the kettle black?

This forum is littered with people insulting Thais.

Has it not occurred to the OP that respect is something you EARN and the attitude expressed by their respective spouses may be well deserved?

No, that is what is called 'Conditional Respect'

Real respect - and this is a challenge for every single one of us - is what we start with.

Example - You meet someone you have never met before - you start by respecting that person regardless of their race, age, gender, sexual orientation, the way they are dressed, their accent - you name it - get the preconceptions out of the way - and YOU have respect for this other person.

The argument that 'Respect is something you earn' is the gate by which we all exclude others from opportunity in life.

I'm sure we can all recall occasions when we have seen people treat others with disrespect on the very first time they met - we may if we are honest admit to having done so ourselves.

I'm sure too we can all recall occasions when we have witnessed someone see through the dross of assumption and treat a total stranger with respect - most of us have done that at least some time in our life - if we are honest we might admit how difficult it can be sometimes.

But we surely also understand what a different it makes.

That's called prejudice

Here are a few facts that some of you may not be aware of:

Thais look down on Thai women who have farang boyfriends or husbands old enough to be their fathers or grandfathers.

They look down on the farang vest wearing, short wearing and flip flop wearing slobs seen walking about in public places, other than on a beach.

They frown upon the slutty Thai women types seen walking Hand in hand with some tattooed, hair shaven, stubble growthed wife beater vest wearing farang low life.

They frown upon elderly white haired, pony tailed, white bearded, tattooed, fat bellied farangs who believe that once they arrive in Thailand, they suddenly become and appear 30 years younger and dress like 20 year olds.

If you fit into any of the categories above, then you should expect criticisms and the Thais to have a low opinion of you, otherwise, yes, they are being rude and insulting.

Are expensive Crocs acceptable? I love my Crocs. Won't give up my Crocs.

Expensive crocs, they are actually made from real croc skin right?

Bj, you worry to much about others relationships. Can I ask what category do you fit into since you have listed nearly every descriptive possibility for every guy over the age of about 40? Hell I'm 38 and I could be squeezed in there somewhere.

My point is, who gives a crap about others relationships as long as they're happy. No one forces her with him or him with her.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 2

No sir,real respect can only be earned

Has it not occurred to the OP that respect is something you EARN and the attitude expressed by their respective spouses may be well deserved?

Real respect - and this is a challenge for every single one of us - is what we start with.

Example - You meet someone you have never met before - you start by respecting that person regardless of their race, age, gender, sexual orientation, the way they are dressed, their accent - you name it - get the preconceptions out of the way - and YOU have respect for this other person.

The argument that 'Respect is something you earn' is the gate by which we all exclude others from opportunity in life.

I'm sure we can all recall occasions when we have seen people treat others with disrespect on the very first time they met - we may if we are honest admit to having done so ourselves.

I'm sure too we can all recall occasions when we have witnessed someone see through the dross of assumption and treat a total stranger with respect - most of us have done that at least some time in our life - if we are honest we might admit how difficult it can be sometimes.

No sir,real respect can only be earned

Yes, Sirs.

You are both right.

Respect has to be earned and more importantly it should be given.

ter is not totally gender specific. It is used between intermites as a personal pronoun. Wives often call their husband ter. It is falling out of use these days but is still used. Children often use it. It is also uese in the formal titles of royal personages.
True ^^ It's most common use in in song lyrics. Nearly all Thai songs have either 'chan rak ter'( I love her/you) in them , or 'hua jai'(heart), 'kee mao' (drunk) and 'thoraman' (torture).

wow, 263 posts about what other people say about you.personally i couldnt give a monkeys what others say about me.

my wife, my daughters and my family know who and what i am. all the rest im not interested in.

i just walk on and dont let idiots ruin my day or my life with idiotic comments.

if i understand them or not makes no difference.i just rise above it and keep enjoying my time here.

• Like 1

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but in Issan, young boys are often refered to as 'Buckam noi', or literally 'little dick' ! It's a term of endearment used within families and is not considered rude.

Simon

I'll try it on a grown man after he's had a bottle of scotch and see what happens.

Is the op a small child?

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but in Issan, young boys are often refered to as 'Buckam noi', or literally 'little dick' ! It's a term of endearment used within families and is not considered rude.

Simon

My wife calls me "Buckam" all the time, should I be worried?

Here are a few facts that some of you may not be aware of:

Thais look down on Thai women who have farang boyfriends or husbands old enough to be their father’s or grandfather’s.

They look down on the farang vest wearing, short wearing and flip flop wearing slobs seen walking about in public places, other than on a beach.

They frown upon the slutty Thai women types seen walking Hand in hand with some tattooed, hair shaven, stubble growthed wife beater vest wearing farang low life.

They frown upon elderly white haired, pony tailed, white bearded, tattooed, fat bellied farangs who believe that once they arrive in Thailand, they suddenly become and appear 30 years younger and dress like 20 year olds.

If you fit into any of the categories above, then you should expect criticisms and the Thais to have a low opinion of you, otherwise, yes, they are being rude and insulting.

Awesome post.

Of awesome banality and non-relevance to the topic.