Rogue croc discovered drifting off Mai Khao Beach proving to be tough catch for Phuket authorities

Lite Beer

Rogue croc discovered drifting off Mai Khao Beach proving to be tough catch for Phuket authorities
Eakkapop Thongtub

1383545159_1.jpg

PHUKET: A rogue crocodile swimming off Mai Khao Beach attracted the attention of locals yesterday (November 3), when it was found drifting around 500 metres offshore.

Fisherman, villagers and staff at the Mai Khao Dream hotel first spotted the roaming croc around 8.30am, and alerted local authorities.

The croc is believed to be around 3 metres in length, and it is proving a bit a problem for authorities and the local Kusoldharm to catch because it keeps disappearing.

At the moment, locals are at the beach warning people not to swim, and Phuket Governor Maitree Intusut is on his way to the area to try and work out what to do with the animal.

Yesterday, locals took a boat out to see the giant croc. But when they got close, it disappeared and they spent about three hours circling around looking for it, before abandoning their mission.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/rogue-croc-discovered-drifting-off-mai-khao-beach-proving-to-be-tough-catch-for-phuket-authorities-42693.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-11-04

From the locked thread:

It will end up on a BBQ by this evening. I've seen them pluck the turtles from the beach up there and BBQ them

Please if you ever see a turtle nesting there, notify the Mai Khao Turtle Foundation immediately and guard the nest until they arrive. If you see locals poaching the eggs, call the police immediately.

The Mai Khao Turtle Foundation: 076 338 000

The Police: 191

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

Several offerings of KFC chicken will help

To kill it!

No, Why not let it live. Think of how the Croc could improve the local economy by enticing the creature to stay in area. The locals could eventually charge tourists say a 100baht a piece to have their photo taken with a real live reptile at feeding time! Then people like Rihanna will have something real to text and tweet about. Besides, local people can now breathe a sigh of relief at night knowing there’s a hungry beast patrolling their beaches at night time for ‘free’. cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Do crocodiles have rules they're supposed to follow? Does breaking the rules make them rogues?

I was thinking the same thing. He may just be paddling to the beat of a different drummer.

I thought the crocodiles here were the fresh water variety. I'm assuming "off the Mai Khao Beach" implies salt water??

Do crocodiles have rules they're supposed to follow? Does breaking the rules make them rogues?

I was thinking the same thing. He may just be paddling to the beat of a different drummer.

I thought the crocodiles here were the fresh water variety. I'm assuming "off the Mai Khao Beach" implies salt water??

Well if he is a fresh water croc, he will have to take extra care that the salt water does not make his skin wrinkly....

• Like 1

Several offerings of KFC chicken will help

To kill it!

No, Why not let it live. Think of how the Croc could improve the local economy by enticing the creature to stay in area. The locals could eventually charge tourists say a 100baht a piece to have their photo taken with a real live reptile at feeding time! Then people like Rihanna will have something real to text and tweet about. Besides, local people can now breathe a sigh of relief at night knowing there’s a hungry beast patrolling their beaches at night time for ‘free’. cheesy.gif

It would also give people like Rihanna something more...substantial...to cuddle with. Think of the photo ops.

Edited by marell
  • Like 1

If its a salty, 2.5 to 3 m does not make it a giant croc.

It does make swimming in the area an interesting sport.

Think of the advertising for a new business venture

Race the croc and win upmarket accommadation, ( in hospital ) whistling.gif

Now all the nutters will be out with guns looking for the croc

• Like 1

Mai Khao beach is now closed :)

From: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-beach-closed-after-croc-scare-22718.html

Officers believe that the reptile is a freshwater crocodile that came from Pru Jae Son Lake (map here).

“This is the first time that we have spotted a crocodile swimming in the sea near Mai Khao Beach,” Mr Tanet said.

“Though tourists might be scared, this animal is not normally aggressive and a great number of them can be found in the right habitat,” he said.

That sounds like an open invitation to come to see the crocs on that area.

Maybe it's not a crocodile. It is about this time of year that the Loch ness monster snake visits from Scotch land!