Thai amnesty bill would kill 25,355 graft cases: NACC

webfact

Amnesty bill would kill 25,355 graft cases: NACC
Piyanut Tumnukasetchai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) yesterday issued a statement opposing the amnesty bill on grounds that it would absolve thousands of graft violations, including hundreds against top politicians.

"The bill's Article 3 will impact on the fight against corruption, good governance, promotion of honesty and international obligations for anti-corruption," NACC member Vicha Mahakhun said.

The NACC would submit its report on the bill for the Senate to factor in during next week's amnesty debate, Vicha said.

Highlights of the report included the legal implications of graft cases. The bill, if enacted, would derail 24 cases initiated by the Assets Examination Committee and 25,331 cases launched by the NACC. Of the total graft cases being investigated, some 400 cases involved high-level politicians and another 666 cases were already at the indictment stage.

Should the amnesty come into effect, these graft investigations would be nullified. As Thailand is a member of the United Nations Convention against Corruption (UNCAC), the absolution for graft violations would go against the convention's provisions.

Presently the country is undergoing a review on compliance with the UNCAC. The NACC had planned to notify the UN it would renounce the graft amnesty, if enacted, in order to shore up the country's reputation in the international community.

NACC member Pakdee Pothisiri said the NACC, empowered to root out corruption, was obliged to notify the international community because the graft amnesty would breach the UNCAC.

NACC assistant secretary-general Thammanoon Ruengdit said cases to be nullified by the amnesty bill included five convictions. The five include the 'unusual wealth' involving former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, the Ratchadaphisek land deal involving Thaksin's ex-wife Khunying Pojaman na Pombejra and tax evasion involving Pojaman and her brother Bhanapot Damapong.

The remaining two cases are the firetruck purchase, and the rubber-sampling procurement.

Cases under judicial review, such as the two- and three-digit lottery, the Exim Bank loans, the conversion of telecom concession and the Krung Thai loans, would collapse.

Eight cases being investigated by the NACC would be closed.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-06

Remember the ex transport minister that got billions of baht stolen from his house when he was at his daughters wedding? He will be let off with this amnesty deal. They all will. It is several shades of wrong to even consider this nonsense amnesty bill. All for what? So a tin pot dictator can return with his face intact. Shame on the reds and PTP for this farce.

The Nation, Dec, 21st 2011:

"Part of the banknotes seized after last month's robbery at the suspended Transport permanent secretary's home were found to be linked to certain private companies that won bidding for Transport Ministry projects, according to the national anti-graft agency."

Just goes to show.

That was only 5 months of taking office and one minister already managed to channel billions out of the coffers and into his own pocket.

This guy would be doing life in prison in almost all countries and a lot of those countries would have executed him in a heartbeat.

Sorry to compare this with the UK, I know they are completely different countries. But even if a fraction of this level of corruption happened there, I could guarantee a revolution from the people. The majority of the people here just accept it.

I wonder how many billion baht is stolen each year by the government as a whole, and what that could do for the poor people. Instead, Thailand has its hand out to the UN's World Food Program because they reckon they can't feed their children here.

Shameless beggars.

• Like 2

Remember the ex transport minister that got billions of baht stolen from his house when he was at his daughters wedding? He will be let off with this amnesty deal.

Ironic thing is he probably doesn't even need to be let off. I mean, the fact that he was so blatantly caught with his pants down and the fact that all this time has passed without really anything happening, amnesty or not, would he ever be punished?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

This is so cool !!!! Of course I was fully aware the " amnesty" bill is set up to get absolution for Thaksin. And of course

throw a few other people into the amnesty to make it look like the bill is not only for Thaksin. But to kill the endless

graft cases at the same time is astonishing. This country may be far more bizarre that even I thought....

On the other hand, I guess removing these graft cases could be a money saver for the government. Since it seems

no one is ever actually prosecuted and sent to jail for corruption, these " corruption crackdown" dog and pony shows

make Thailand look sort of silly.... So maybe Thailand should just embrace corruption, and tell the other western

countries that keep talking about good governance, to just shut up.

Now confirmed, Thailand, the hub of corruption.

Hope the tourist authority is fully informed and up to date - should make for some good promotional info to be spread world-wide, certainly makes the tuk-tuk, jet-ski, taxi, police scams kiddies play in comparison.

Yingluck is an embarrassment to Thailand, evidently being controlled by her puppet master brother, Taksin. If this bill is passed then there is no rule of law nor is there apparently justice for those that have broken the law. The eyes of the world are apon Thailand and you will be judged by your actions.

25,331 cases pending for corruption is appauling, and you should all be ashamed of what you are doing to the country.

So that could you sweep asside the wrong-doings of your peers and those who have stolen from the country.

What explanation will you give your people when they have no money, no food on the table ?

Already embassies are already issuing warnings to advise their citizens that Thailand is yet again not a safe place to go to. Possible riots on the streets of Bangkok. Is this the legacy of the shinawatras? Dragging Thailand into a civil war will result in no tourists, your economy will go to the wall, and every type of investor will pull out, and for what ?

For his family., on the backs of the working class following models of feudalism. Come back, plunder...if there is collapse, exit by going abroad. He really needs stopped by drastic force, along with the entire criminal family.

• Like 2

The sad indictment on the state of this country is that when I came to live here over 10 years ago I would estimate that 75 + % of the respondents to an article and comments such as these would be screaming ..... "Well if you don't like it here then bugger off!" Thailand the Cradle of Corruption. All that changes are bigger carpets and brushes are bought.

Edited by Nip

I doubt any big fish would ever be prosecuted anyway. Look at the killers who get away literally with murder/manslaughter. If they are tried and convicted its a telling off and token community service. Then all blows over.

This bill was intended to whitewash one criminal and his criminal cronies. Other criminals will also benefit and no doubt be expected to show their gratitude. And so the cycle goes on for the untouchables living off the backs of the majority.

That really is a staggering number

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What is really staggering me is;

'The bill, if enacted, would derail 24 cases initiated by the Assets Examination Committee and 25,331 cases launched by the NACC. Of the total graft cases being investigated, some 400 cases involved high-level politicians and another 666 cases were already at the indictment stage.'

No wonder PTP are keen to push it through.

• Like 1

Bender, on 06 Nov 2013 - 07:17, said:

completely hopeless country

these people can not manage themselves,

so better call U.N. soldier and set up a trial like in Nuremberg

Total FUBAR.. What they really need is a Robespierre and a guillotine..

• Like 1

I'm speechless.

25,331 cases of corruption. I knew it was rotten to the core, but this number is astounding.

Then to try to push this through while the country is already undergoing a review by the UN..... beyond words really.

Then when they talk of 'shoring up the country's reputation in the international community'...... who in their right mind would want to shore up this kind of reputation? Don't they mean 'improve the country's reputation'??

It has long passed the stage where corruption can be stopped here.... Unless they implemented a standard rule of 'IMMEDIATE SUSPENSION' pending investigation. With 20 year prison sentences for those found guilty and seizure of all assets (including spouse).

Maybe one day a prime minister will come along and really start clamping down on corruption, but then again. I doubt he would last 2 weeks before being assassinated.

25.331 and consider that is only the cases at court. Most cases aren't.

With immediate Suspension and 20 year prison.

You know what this means?

The country run by the village idiot (the only one who didn't figure out that he could pocket some money), empty streets and huge concentration camps guarded by foreigner.

The problem is...that there are too many to clamping down on them.

I doubt any big fish would ever be prosecuted anyway. Look at the killers who get away literally with murder/manslaughter. If they are tried and convicted its a telling off and token community service. Then all blows over.

This bill was intended to whitewash one criminal and his criminal cronies. Other criminals will also benefit and no doubt be expected to show their gratitude. And so the cycle goes on for the untouchables living off the backs of the majority.

A lot of little fish can eat the big fish... You heard it first from me. thumbsup.gif

Amnesty bill would kill 25,355 graft cases: NACC..........BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) yesterday issued a statement opposing the amnesty bill on grounds that it would absolve thousands of graft violations, including hundreds against top politicians.

Politicians voting themselves amnesty against corruption charges, wouldn't that be a conflict of interest?

I agree with you, for once. Unfortunately, those politicians will only point back at the amnesty awarded to themselves by the Military Junta - how big a conflict of interest was that?. And no-one apart from the "red side" complained about that when it happened.

A lot of little fish can eat the big fish... You heard it first from me. thumbsup.gif

Seh Daeng thought he was a big Rambo fish. Last 30 seconds of his twitching reminded him otherwise.

What you do unto others will reward you, or haunt & punish you.

Edited by gemini81

How many in Thailand are praying the bill passes, and in double quick time, so they can start again with a clean slate ?

Sounds like 25,355. wink.png

That's the amount of cases which means a presumption of only one suspect per case which is highly unlikely.