Aluminium or stainless steel mesh for a faraday cage

lewisr90

Hahaha about as much thats in the video that got posted. I building it so that a person can easily stand in it with about a 2 ft gap either side of them.

Where/when will the "experiment" take place? w00t.gif

Prior to placing the victim inside the cage, make sure that you earth (and test) it well with some thick earthing cable attached to deep copper earth spikes.

@OP: I always thought a faraday cage should be made of conducting material.

AFAIK aluminium doesn't conduct electricity very well.

Why do you need such a thing? Is your tin foil hat too small?

Or do you have a moskito problem?

Edited by manarak

don't try and phone out when you're inside :-)

I worked for a place once where the instruments had to be inside such cages, as the air force radar was throwing everything off scale.

aluminium doesnt conduct electricity very well?? course it does, it aint the best for sure but it does the trick. i cant afford, brass, silver or gold unfortunately.

you are right, I just read up on it, aluminium conducts much better than steel !

Tywais could have the answer for you when he reads this.

I have designed large Faraday shields for ultra sensitive measurements in physics experiments but I used fine mesh copper for it and copper tape to seal it as an access door was involved. Copper is the 3rd best choice behind silver & gold but even so it is probably difficult to get and expensive.

WiFi operates at a microwave frequency of 2.45 GHz which has a wavelength of 122 mm. A Faraday mesh should be 1/4 wavelength or less for around 30mm grid spacing or smaller. Possibilities include finding chicken wire with that small of a mesh or similar caging material. More difficult and not useful if you are claustrophobic and that is heavy aluminum foil over a frame with holes punched in it for light and air. Neither material choices are great but should attenuate the signal a fair amount. If you look at the door of a microwave oven, which operates at 2.45GHz also, you can see it has a Faraday shield and the spacing is probably around 5 or 6 mm.

Perhaps browse around Home Pro and Global House and see if something looks suitable.

As for Tesla Coils, I've built several of them but never got around to putting my hand in the discharge path. biggrin.png

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. yes, its a real pain in the arse, i cannot sleep, my body feels like its getting hit with pins and my heart skips. as soon as the wifi is off im totally fine. ive only just realise this recently, and it looks like ive had this issue for quite sometime. im so sick of the sleepness nights recently i dont mind covering my cage in tin foil just to get a peaceful nights sleep haha!!

on a side note, id urge others to maybe look into this aswell it seems to be quite common especially if you find it hard to sleep. i turn off my wifi but the neighbours comes in at full strength.

Anyways cheers

youtube> beings of resonance

so do you think steel would do a decent job?

It will work, just not as efficiently. Just thought of even a better choice and that is metal window screen which may be aluminum and readily available in fine mesh at global house. They come in large rolls as I've bought some before to replace the screens on our front door that our dog destroyed. The smaller the grid spacing the better.

There is some difference between high frequency and low frequency electromagnetic radiation. Look up "Mu Metal" for more insight. They sell solid sheet boxes of the alloy for super sensitive electronics and shielding against whatever radiation. (Solar flares, microwaves, power lines nearby, etc.) I would think fine mesh copper would be real good for what you want. At first I thought you were going to set up to observe lightning first hand. Ouch! You would need large guage wire with some really good grounds!

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. yes, its a real pain in the arse, i cannot sleep, my body feels like its getting hit with pins and my heart skips. as soon as the wifi is off im totally fine. ive only just realise this recently, and it looks like ive had this issue for quite sometime. im so sick of the sleepness nights recently i dont mind covering my cage in tin foil just to get a peaceful nights sleep haha!!

on a side note, id urge others to maybe look into this aswell it seems to be quite common especially if you find it hard to sleep. i turn off my wifi but the neighbours comes in at full strength.

Anyways cheers

my body feels like its getting hit with pins and my heart skips.

is that only when you try to sleep or all the time?

Here's an answer in BKK- with GPS coords in Chinatown. Sorry I don't have the same for Chiang Mai.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/659405-where-to-get-mosquito-net-out-of-metal/

Go to the metals market (every major town should have one) and scrounge around looking for hardware cloth. In BKK Chinatown, they even have stainless, copper and bronze in all kinds of mesh sizes.

If aluminum will work, you're in luck. Every shop that repairs window and door screens should be able to sell you aluminum screen material. I see dozens of shops that sell aluminum window screening every time I walk in BKK. Most of the tiny little hardware shops have a roll or two and sell it by the meter.

You may also consider a fine chicken wire, available in galvanized and plain steel at most farm supply shops. Steel may offer an additional advantage if you're also sensitive to magnetic resonance. I don't think aluminum would block that out, but I'm not an expert. It's also available in a lot of construction supply stores to reinforce poured concrete.

Tons of places to get what you need if you're flexible on how the end result looks.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Anyways cheers

Yes i can feel it all the time really, it worsens when i use an ungrounded computer, but obviously at night when you start to be more aware it really really annoying, and scary because i know im just getting fried. this effects millions of people but they just dont know about it. When i first figured out it was the wifi and computers i switched them all off and ive never slept that well in my life. My body started to feel like it was coming down from stress. really unbelievable. A quick search on the subject and it seems like these things are starting to become big issues. Wifi in schools in france have been banned because the children were getting the same symptoms. I really good indicator for me was if wifi is on and i take a shower afterwards my skin feels really itchy and i get a feeling a pins hitting it..... on the other hand, no wiifi no feeling. Btw if you do get these feelings a shower will give your immediate symtom release. If only for 10 minutes afterwards when the symptoms start rising again its a good indicator.

Here's an answer in BKK- with GPS coords in Chinatown. Sorry I don't have the same for Chiang Mai.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/659405-where-to-get-mosquito-net-out-of-metal/

Go to the metals market (every major town should have one) and scrounge around looking for hardware cloth. In BKK Chinatown, they even have stainless, copper and bronze in all kinds of mesh sizes.

If aluminum will work, you're in luck. Every shop that repairs window and door screens should be able to sell you aluminum screen material. I see dozens of shops that sell aluminum window screening every time I walk in BKK. Most of the tiny little hardware shops have a roll or two and sell it by the meter.

You may also consider a fine chicken wire, available in galvanized and plain steel at most farm supply shops. Steel may offer an additional advantage if you're also sensitive to magnetic resonance. I don't think aluminum would block that out, but I'm not an expert. It's also available in a lot of construction supply stores to reinforce poured concrete.

Tons of places to get what you need if you're flexible on how the end result looks.

thanks, seems like that guy was having health issues with this too. thus asking for conductivity and worrying about the alluminium toxicity.

thanks, seems like that guy was having health issues with this too. thus asking for conductivity and worrying about the alluminium toxicity.

I sent him the roll of SST mesh under my "don't ask, don't tell, it's none of my business" policy.

Edited by impulse

Anyways cheers

Yes i can feel it all the time really, it worsens when i use an ungrounded computer, but obviously at night when you start to be more aware it really really annoying, and scary because i know im just getting fried. this effects millions of people but they just dont know about it. When i first figured out it was the wifi and computers i switched them all off and ive never slept that well in my life. My body started to feel like it was coming down from stress. really unbelievable. A quick search on the subject and it seems like these things are starting to become big issues. Wifi in schools in france have been banned because the children were getting the same symptoms. I really good indicator for me was if wifi is on and i take a shower afterwards my skin feels really itchy and i get a feeling a pins hitting it..... on the other hand, no wiifi no feeling. Btw if you do get these feelings a shower will give your immediate symtom release. If only for 10 minutes afterwards when the symptoms start rising again its a good indicator.
Thank you for the explanation, very informative. I hope you get the cage you need or if not make a move outside of town where there is little or no wifi. I am not too far out and right now my computer detects no wifi signals, sometimes it detects one or two but people usually turn them off when not using them. Best of luck.

im electrosensitive which basically means i have a sixth sense which is feeling wifi signals. im building a faraday cage temporarily around my bed to stop the symptoms i get

The foil hat comment makes more sense after the last post.

You can buy 1cm X 2cm galvanized wire mesh at Montri shop fairly inexpensively in big rolls. Build a wood frame and staple the mesh to the frame (don't forget to cover the floor too), wiring any adjacent edges together and use the mesh as a hinge for the access door. This will form a very effective Faraday cage for wifi and just about every other imaginable frequency as well. As another poster mentioned it does not need to be connected to an earth ground to be effective. Drape mosquito net cloth over the outside and it will look OK and serve an even more effective purpose...

Good luck with your symptoms; you will know soon enough if they are caused by electromagnetic radiation.

Oh and one more thing in case you don't already know is that the strength of EM radiation falls off with the square of the distance. E.g my balls are currently about 1 meter from my wifi transmitter, and when I am 10 meters away they get only 1% of that dose.

Edited by cloudhopper

You can buy 1cm X 2cm galvanized wire mesh at Montri shop fairly inexpensively in big rolls. Build a wood frame and staple the mesh to the frame (don't forget to cover the floor too), wiring any adjacent edges together and use the mesh as a hinge for the access door. This will form a very effective Faraday cage for wifi and just about every other imaginable frequency as well. As another poster mentioned it does not need to be connected to an earth ground to be effective. Drape mosquito net cloth over the outside and it will look OK and serve an even more effective purpose...

Good luck with your symptoms; you will know soon enough if they are caused by electromagnetic radiation.

Oh and one more thing in case you don't already know is that the strength of EM radiation falls off with the square of the distance. E.g my balls are currently about 1 meter from my wifi transmitter, and when I am 10 meters away they get only 1% of that dose.

Not being familiar with Faraday cages, is that mesh fine enough to shield against hi frequency?

I'm interested enough I'll be doing some Googling later, but I'm just looking for the $0.05 explanation now.

And just out of curiosity, do they tingle when you get too close to the transmitter? Your balls, I mean.

Just as a result of this thread, I'll be moving my wifi router out of the bedroom. Good info.

Edited by impulse