Gekko Garden

212traders

Thank you, self appointed moderator.

Maybe not everyone thinks like you do, thankfully.

It would seem appropriate to me to know the cutoff.

Kind of like how much to tip.

I don't expect you to understand.

It was an answer to a ridicules question. If you really want the truth (which I doubt you just want to bitch) It is up to you. Happy now

Your question was

What is the amount when you should wait for change? 20 baht? 50 baht? 100 baht? 500 baht?

Perhaps if you had given some reasonable figures you might not have got the answer I gave you. I noticed you failed to mention your question in your response to my answer.

Feeling a little ridicules with it?whistling.gif

I was there tonight and got my change I picked it up annd put a 20 baht bill in instead of the coins. I did that because thast is what I believe is rite not becouse some body on Thai Visa told me that was the correct change.

I repeat this thread has become a useless thread it started out very good and people turned it into a stupid debate over coins. being left or not and how much to tip.

The meal was enjoyed by all and we felt it was a good value for the price.

Why don't we start a thread on weather to untie are runners when we take them off or just tie them loose so we can just slip in and out of them.

beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAubeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAubeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAubeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAuburp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The international buffet on sunday was to die for.

I wish I had died the night before... (may have been a defamation issue though whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn )

I also like their Sunday buffet.

I think you've misinterpreted donniereait's post.

Here is a weird sign. I certainly won't eat there.

post-137105-0-36767800-1385044737_thumb.

I agree, Angel. Further, I would tell the person that change is not necessary in that case. Obviously there are some people that in their own minds consider themselves expert on Chiang Mai that seem to consider that rediculous (corrected spelling).

Returning change is always the right thing to do, regardless of the amount.

Tipping is up to each individual to decide how much.

If the staff is willfully stealing the change that would be bad, but I'm not so convinced that's what's going on in this case. All that's going on here is that people who walk around with the first nickel they ever earned wedged up between their butt cheeks are getting nervous when their 15 baht of change is out of their sight for 5 minutes.

• Like 1

I agree, Angel. Further, I would tell the person that change is not necessary in that case. Obviously there are some people that in their own minds consider themselves expert on Chiang Mai that seem to consider that rediculous (corrected spelling).

Returning change is always the right thing to do, regardless of the amount.

Tipping is up to each individual to decide how much.

If the staff is willfully stealing the change that would be bad, but I'm not so convinced that's what's going on in this case. All that's going on here is that people who walk around with the first nickel they ever earned wedged up between their butt cheeks are getting nervous when their 15 baht of change is out of their sight for 5 minutes.

I also think that is what is going on.

From reading this thread, Gekko seems to be enjoyed by those who come across as salt of the earth types and disliked by people I would object to sharing a beer with.

In my estimated 100 visits I've had one problem there. Not a bad return.

The food is good nosh, like I'd make myself. The price is probably lower than I could manage myself cooking at home. The atmosphere is pleasant without trying, Rudi is pleasant but doesn't try to be your new best friend.

Its no nonsense John Smiths, does exactly what it says on the tin Ronseal Quickdry Wood Varnish. If you want frills, head elsewhere. Frills are nice on occasion, but I don't want them all the time.

• Like 1

Sometimes, people wait for the change for a different reason... out of courtesy when the waitress returns wondering where the customer is; wants to put down a 20 and pick up the coins; wants a nice word with the waitress. There are many unimaginable reasons! Who's there to tell them to pick a cheap flight home?

For me, on 2 occasions, I had a special and a large Singha. I left B200 underneath the bottle and walked out!

• Like 1

Sometimes, people wait for the change for a different reason... out of courtesy when the waitress returns wondering where the customer is; wants to put down a 20 and pick up the coins; wants a nice word with the waitress. There are many unimaginable reasons! Who's there to tell them to pick a cheap flight home?

For me, on 2 occasions, I had a special and a large Singha. I left B200 underneath the bottle and walked out!

Perhaps, but in this thread specific allegations of theft have been made by people who feel that they have been cheated out of 10 or 15 baht. Just as it's true that there are many imaginable reasons that someone might wait for their change in such situations, there are many imaginable reasons that a person might not get their change. The burden of proof in this case is on the accusers, not on the staff of Gekko.

But I do agree that it's not fair to tell people who obsess over 10 or 15 baht to get out of Thailand. If all the farang kii nok suddenly vanished from Chiang Mai it would be a much different place, and not entirely in positive ways.

Edited by AngelsLariat

Perhaps, but in this thread specific allegations of theft have been made by people who feel that they have been cheated out of 10 or 15 baht. Just as it's true that there are many imaginable reasons that someone might wait for their change in such situations, there are many imaginable reasons that a person might not get their change. The burden of proof in this case is on the accusers, not on the staff of Gekko.

But I do agree that it's not fair to tell people who obsess over 10 or 15 baht to get out of Thailand. If all the farang kii nok suddenly vanished from Chiang Mai it would be a much different place, and not entirely in positive ways.

I didn't feel that way from perusing the thread! I, of course, could be wrong. But I feel that people should not be derogated to be told to take a cheap flight home just because of tipping!

I didn't feel that way from perusing the thread! I, of course, could be wrong. But I feel that people should not be derogated to be told to take a cheap flight home just because of tipping!

It's not about tipping, it's about accusing people of theft when you don't get your 10 baht of change. At some point being frugal becomes ridiculous.

• Like 1

Well with the cheap charlies it could be as little as two baht.

We had one thread where a fellow was asking where he could cash in all his cetongs 10 to a baht.

I agree that is no reason to tell them to lrsve the country. But it sounds like they might be happier back where they come from.

Well with the cheap charlies it could be as little as two baht.

We had one thread where a fellow was asking where he could cash in all his cetongs 10 to a baht.

I agree that is no reason to tell them to lrsve the country. But it sounds like they might be happier back where they come from.

Hellodolly, as usual you are missing the boat, and as usual it doesn't prevent you from posting something irrelevant and insulting.

I'm sure many of these "cheap charlies" make and spend considerably more than you in CM every month. They just don't like it when somebody steals money from them by assuming that any leftover change is something they can take home, rather than return to the customer.

These cheap charlies will wait for the one baht change too, and add their own 20/50/100 baht note to that one baht change, as a tip to the waiter. They will however ask for the one baht change if not returned by itself, and not leave any tip in that case.

Do you understand now?

I will agree to every thing you said if you can tell me how much these cheap charlies make and spend a month and how much I make and spend a month.

You will not be able to answer that becouse you are clueless and I notice you do not give any actual experience that you have had at Gekko. In short you are completely clueless.

Enjoy it.

To better understand it in the entire picture the thread started out as a compliment to the value for money and had a lot of reasonable comments and experience. It has degenerated into a bashing thread by a few people over less than 20 baht. It has been carried to the ridicules where one poster dosen't know how much to tip from 20 baht to 500 baht on a 100 baht meal. even your 100 baht is ridicules.

Gekko has a great value for money menu catering to foreigners and Thais. It is not what you would call a 5 star experience Nor a sanitary experience but it is close to a Thai experience. That is why I will drop in from time to time and have what I want even if it is not a daily special.

I am sorry to have offended you and others but that is how I feel about loosing a few coins once in a while.

• Like 1

Went there for lunch today.

Lamb burger and chips was really good (the mint sauce was pants so chucked it) for 105bht

The fish and chips was big (but a bit greasy for me) for 105bht.

Full tables (near enough) today.

Did they bring you your change?

Went there for lunch today.

Lamb burger and chips was really good (the mint sauce was pants so chucked it) for 105bht

The fish and chips was big (but a bit greasy for me) for 105bht.

Full tables (near enough) today.

Did they bring you your change?

Yes, I have always been given my change there.

Thinking problem staff member, not problem with Gekko.

I left a 10bht tip, as service was prompt.

Tips are up to me.

Edited by FiftyTwo

It's not about tipping, it's about accusing people of theft when you don't get your 10 baht of change. At some point being frugal becomes ridiculous.

Sorry short changing is short changing.. Doesnt matter if its 5b or 500 its the principle..

That said I have eaten there 10's of times and every time was given my change.. If I didnt I would ask for it.. Not a big deal but thats the way it is. It would also effect (reduce) my tipping and or desire to go there frankly, even if it was 10b. I would want to ask for something thats mine.. However its never happened to me.

• Like 1

Been there a few times on Fridays for fish and chips I and will probably return as I like the athmosphere, the food and the reasonable prices. Change was always brought back when I paid with a large note. Whenever change to be returned is less than 20 baht I just walk out, don't even wait to see if it is being returned. Went there at lunch today and can confirm the place was full. Enjoyed my meal as usual.

Edited by Myshkin

Dolly,

You are wrong because of your own tunnel vision.

You made a statement and I agreed with you if you could answer the two questions I asked. We all know you couldn't because you are clueless.

I also mentioned you did not mention any personal experience.

I may have tunnel vision< It seems to help in spotting B S.

It is a bar for crying out loud. Do you expect them to all know exactly what was going on there. Do you expect them to say they did not give me my 5 baht so I staggered out of there to a bar where they would not cheat me out of 5 baht. I almost made it but I fell down and hurt myself.

Get some tunnel vision it will open your mind to new possibilities. By the way it probably has happened there and in every other bar in town. That does not make it the policy of the business. It just means that some one forgot and some one else was doing it. But not on the scale you and some of the other posters here would have us believe.

I repeat it is value for money even if you don't get your 2 baht change.tongue.png

Sorry short changing is short changing.. Doesnt matter if its 5b or 500 its the principle..

That said I have eaten there 10's of times and every time was given my change.. If I didnt I would ask for it.. Not a big deal but thats the way it is. It would also effect (reduce) my tipping and or desire to go there frankly, even if it was 10b. I would want to ask for something thats mine.. However its never happened to me.

It has never happened to me either, and I have also eaten at Gekko Garden plenty of times. Both the owner, who I have barely exchanged a handful of words with over the year, and the waitresses, have always seemed friendly enough.

That said I see no reason to doubt the OP. Hopefully other customers noticed the same and after a few of them told the owner, the problem was resolved.

If I was the owner, I'd be more happy for some of my regular customers telling me about the problem, rather than the problem causing me to lose customers before I could find the problem myself.

Edited by Awk

It has never happened to me either, and I have also eaten at Gekko Garden plenty of times. Both the owner, who I have barely exchanged a handful of words with over the year, and the waitresses, have always seemed friendly enough.

That said I see no reason to doubt the OP. Hopefully other customers noticed the same and after a few of them told the owner, the problem was resolved.

If I was the owner, I'd be more happy for some of my regular customers telling me about the problem, rather than the problem causing me to lose customers before I could find the problem myself.

People prefer not to have a quiet word with the owner, but prefer instead to moan on the internet about it. It's not as if the readers can sort it out is it, so what's the point? My guess is Revenge, but I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

Walked past a million times - never tried it. Usually eat at Daddy's or in the Ansuan market area (that every growing NZ place - used to be one shop, now dwarfs the Irish pub in the corner !) - folks coming in a couple of week will make the effort to try it out for myself based on the comments here.

//EDIT: As to change. I would feel a bit pissed if someone didn't at least attempt to bring my change (although I'd shrug it off - probably joke about it with whoever was with me). Usually though, if I know it is only going to be shrapnel, I just tell them to keep it when I give them the money - or more often than not, I give a note too many so they know it is a tip - e.g. for 495 baht, I might leave 520. I rarely leave big tips as I feel it is simply not needed here - and sometimes the staff (especially in Thai places) are shocked when I give them a tip at all. Case in point, took my visiting sister to Doi Suithep and parked in the new car park off the road - ate at one of those small and empty Thai places around the car park - 5 of us, total bill around 200 baht! Gave the waitress (who looked as miserable as h3ll) a 20b note - and she was gobsmacked (like totally confused that I was giving her any money).

Edited by wolf5370

I just tell them to keep it when I give them the money - or more often than not, I give a note too many so they know it is a tip - e.g. for 495 baht, I might leave 520.

I do that too, and it's amazing how often they bring it back with the change!

biggrin.png

• Like 1

The thread's got a little lost, the OP didn't say anything about change. biggrin.png

"Came across Gekko Garden by accident on a Sunday. Saw their Sunday buffet banner. Went in and was pleasantly surprised by their food and prices. It has become one of my favorite restaurants in Chiang Mai".