BNH Hospital

alaina

Went to BNH yesterday for a spider bite (I think) that swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. My taxi door was opened by a man in white gloves and I was greeted by smiling, wai-ing women at reception. The wait was less than ten minutes in a lovely white Mies Van Der Rhoe chair (but it was a holiday weekend.)

I filled out the forms and indicated that I am allergic to bees and other medications. The nurse (or the woman in the uniform) showed me to the dermatologist. During my five minutes in the dermatologist's office, he asked if I had a history of allergies to insects. I told him that I did; bees. He prescribed me a medication that I was allergic to as well and I had to straighten that out later, through the pharmacist. Considering this was my first visit, there is not a lengthy chart he has to go through to get this information.

I asked him about some bad reactions I have had to mosquito bites and how I could treat the old bites and scars. He told me to use the same ointment on both the old bites and the scars that are over a year old. I politely reminded him that some of these were scars, not just bites and he insisted that I use the same cream. I was going to ask him about laser scar removal, but at that point he told me my visit was over, with no one else waiting outside no less.

I know that my experience with BNH is based on only one visit, but it seems like style over substance is their motto. My five minutes was 500 baht. Can anyone recommend a good dermatologist in BKK?

lopburi , if its not too personal , could you give some details of your experiences at bumrungrad and vejthani re. your laser skin treatments.

were you recommended to the doctor at vejthani.

i have some freckles and a couple of moles that i have been meaning to get checked.

A year earlier I visited Latphao General hospital and used the resident doctor who also worked at Bumrungrad one day a week. Latphao did not have equipment for CO2 treatment so it was done by him at Bumrungrad. Just a hand held unit like an oil can and got the huge swelling that I remember my father got 20 years ago. Hurt and looked bad for a long time and main spot never did heal - others including several warts regrew. Two treatments and 100% failure six months later. Vejthani is also close to me and they have been renovating and targeting foreign patients so decided to give them a try. Asked who was the best and used the recommendation. Had my doubts at first as it is up on top floor and like a spa center but doctor gave choice of shot or cream (none was used at Bumrungrad) and treatment was done on table in treatment room with doctor and two nurses and a portable unit with a very fine tip that she went over each for a minute or more. No swelling or pain after and healing was rapid. After six months can not even see the areas, more than a dozen, she treated (and one was larger than a US quarter).