Do you worry about another tsunami ?

MrWorldwide

I think this is a valid question for those living in coastal areas in LOS. It's easy to say 'We didnt get hit last time', but it all comes down to where the next earthquake's epicentre is located : watching YT vids from the Japanese tsunami in 2011 and the devastation wrought on Aceh in 2004, I dont know that living several kilometres inland is necessarily going to mean you won't be effected. Is Thailand any better prepared for a tsunami than it was in November, 2004 ?

<<< Link to forbidden site removed >>>

Inevitably, I'll be accused of scaremongering, but is this worse than predicting a civil war ? Politics has an ebb and flow - none of us can predict the future, but its not cast in stone that Thailand will erupt into violence at any stage between now an 2050. Geology, on the other hand, is a case of 'when', not 'if' - when, where and how big the next major quake in the Pacific Ring of Fire will be. For the sake of everyone in SE Asia, I hope its nothing like 2004, particularly on the scale of casualties in Indonesia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake_and_tsunami#Death_toll_and_casualties

Horrific footage from Aceh, which bore the brunt of the force generated by the quake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht_ZpSuJ6A4

Edited by metisdead

better prepared? yes

Indian Ocean (ICG/IOTWS)[edit]
220px-Tsunami-warning-centre_hikkaduwa_s
magnify-clip.png
Tsunami Early Warning Tower board in Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka

After the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami which killed almost 230,000 people, a United Nations conference was held in January 2005 in Kobe, Japan, and decided that as an initial step towards an International Early Warning Programme, the UN should establish an Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning System. This then resulted in a system of warnings in Indonesia and other affected areas.

The OP has been edited to remove a link in violation of this forum rule:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed as well. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

There was a warning sent from Hawaii to the affected regions in 2004 (pacific tsunami warning center) it was either ignored or the local civil defence agencies had no system for conveying the warnings to the population.

that warning was given for the pacific and it was an hour later that they realized that the indian ocean might be involved

Only if it's more then 80 mtrs high , our elevation ... more frightened of a Typhoon / Cyclone ripping over the gulf... Wave surge PLUS wind damage ..nasty combination ...EG. Phillipines .. Saying that ... The Missus is still frightened of a tsunami , hence we had to build with some elevation .... Good view, Happy !! smile.png

I think it is only natural to have concern. Worry everyday? nah. maybe around boxing day? sure. I worry about avalanches when hiking in snow, but it doesn't scare me enough to stop that activity. IF you think you are a little more concerned than normal, take a radio with you and even let your friends know to text you if they hear something. I am one of those people who thinks, likely ridiculously, that my time will end when it's time. maybe tomorrow crossing the street, or a tsumani while on the beach and my phone and radio are left in my room. coffee1.gif

I think it is only natural to have concern. Worry everyday? nah. maybe around boxing day? sure. I worry about avalanches when hiking in snow, but it doesn't scare me enough to stop that activity. IF you think you are a little more concerned than normal, take a radio with you and even let your friends know to text you if they hear something. I am one of those people who thinks, likely ridiculously, that my time will end when it's time. maybe tomorrow crossing the street, or a tsumani while on the beach and my phone and radio are left in my room. coffee1.gif

My concern isnt around dying - it's living long enough to see a disaster like the 2004 tsunami unfold in front of me. I expect that there are still folk who are traumatised by that event, and the alarms in April must have caused outright panic in many of the locals.

Edit: the worst thing would to be in a position where one had to watch another human being swept away by the deluge and know there is nothing you can do. Particularly horrific if it was a child - I expect that I wouldnt want to survive that experience.

Edited by MrWorldwide
  • Like 1

I have lived in Phuket before and after the tsunami - just near to the airport. I don't worry at all about another tsunami - it could happen tomorrow or in 1,000 years.

For me personally, I live on a small hill, so should not have any problems. I have little confidence in any early warning system. Either the batteries have failed on the satellite/buoy system in the Indian Ocean, or someone has stolen the copper cables that power the tsunami warning towers...

Simon

Warning systems will often alert you hours in advance, depending on distance from the source of the waves, most times when the tsunami actually arrives it is smaller than the normal waves that day. Any strong local earthquake should send you to higher ground as the tsunami can arrive in minutes (as in japan) the tragedy in the 04 event in Thailand was that there was enough time for warnings and evac to happen, just a breakdown in communication. 10 or 15 min. warning can be the difference between life and death.

Only fools worry about things that they have no control over. coffee1.gif

Only fools make comments like that !!!....

Regarding a Tsunami recurrence... Yes, I have and do consider recurrence when I visit a coastal areas, but knowing the chances of recurrence at the the time I am visiting are so small my worry or concern is minimal, however, I do pay attention to any signage and escape routes - Perhaps more out of consideration for what developments have taken place since 2004...

So, in direct answer to the question: Do I worry? by the simple fact that my consciousness is drawn to the attention of the possibility of another Tsunami then Yes, I worry, but not to the degree that I'm in fear.

Much in the same way, I can't control whether or not another car wants to drive into me, but I'll thinking about it and through a little worry make sure I'll use my seatbelt.

The same goes for flights, I can't control turbulence, but I'll sleep with my seatbelt on loosely..

In a night club I'll keep an eye open for a fire exit or two (and once refused to enter a club in Bkk when I saw the Fire exit chained shut).

So.. in contradiction to the above statement: Yes, Worry about events, because regardless of the fact that you can't control some events or prevent them from happening you can mitigate the effects some events will have on you (and those around you). Just don't let these worries take over and control your life.

As with anything apply intelligent and informed balance.

Edited by richard_smith237

OP (mrworldwide) I would suggest that you get your facts correct, Thailand did not experience a tsunami in November 2004. No country in SE Asia experienced a tsunami in November 2004.

How come you thought that it did.

I wasn't here that day but I wasn't in 'lah-lah land either"

OP (mrworldwide) I would suggest that you get your facts correct, Thailand did not experience a tsunami in November 2004. No country in SE Asia experienced a tsunami in November 2004.

How come you thought that it did.

I wasn't here that day but I wasn't in 'lah-lah land either"

The op never states that the Tsunami struck in Nov. it asks if they are now prepared better than in Nov. 04. which is prior to the event, get it?

Edited by daoyai

I have lived in Phuket before and after the tsunami - just near to the airport. I don't worry at all about another tsunami - it could happen tomorrow or in 1,000 years.

For me personally, I live on a small hill, so should not have any problems. I have little confidence in any early warning system. Either the batteries have failed on the satellite/buoy system in the Indian Ocean, or someone has stolen the copper cables that power the tsunami warning towers...

Simon

Don't be too complacent my friend. Geologist have discovered that in previous times a tsunami hit land with a wave that was generated to about 1,000 foot high. But, as you say, why worry, it could be a bus, car, motor bike rabid dog (or person) that could end this long and glorious run. When the end comes, make sure you have a good bottle of wine and something accommodating to hold your hand until you meet your maker, if indeed you are heading that way.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Regarding a Tsunami recurrence... Yes, I have and do consider recurrence when I visit a coastal areas, but knowing the chances of recurrence at the the time I am visiting are so small my worry or concern is minimal, however, I do pay attention to any signage and escape routes - Perhaps more out of consideration for what developments have taken place since 2004...

So, in direct answer to the question: Do I worry? by the simple fact that my consciousness is drawn to the attention of the possibility of another Tsunami then Yes, I worry, but not to the degree that I'm in fear.

Much in the same way, I can't control whether or not another car wants to drive into me, but I'll thinking about it and through a little worry make sure I'll use my seatbelt.

The same goes for flights, I can't control turbulence, but I'll sleep with my seatbelt on loosely..

In a night club I'll keep an eye open for a fire exit or two (and once refused to enter a club in Bkk when I saw the Fire exit chained shut).

So.. in contradiction to the above statement: Yes, Worry about events, because regardless of the fact that you can't control some events or prevent them from happening you can mitigate the effects some events will have on you (and those around you). Just don't let these worries take over and control your life.

You appear to be one of the worriers I was referring to.

I promise you your shadow will never catch you.!! giggle.gifthumbsup.gif

Not at all - just balance risks to ensure myself and those I care about are safe...

I can't control acts of nature and the mere risk of a Tsunami would never prevent me from taking beach front accommodation, however, I wouldn't blindly ignore the possibility of recurrence and would take note of any options to mitigate potential ill effect.

In this case common sense is about balancing possible risk, not completely ignoring it.

Not at all - just balance risks to ensure myself and those I care about are safe...

I can't control acts of nature and the mere risk of a Tsunami would never prevent me from taking beach front accommodation, however, I wouldn't blindly ignore the possibility of recurrence and would take note of any options to mitigate potential ill effect.

In this case common sense is about balancing possible risk, not completely ignoring it.

The thread is about WORRY not "common sense" or "possible risk", biggrin.png

Which is all very well if the OP was about "common sense" or "possible risk" but it is not it is about worry,

you seem to be adept at trying to hi-jack threads in an effort to make yourself look clever in some way, it

doesn't work here mate you are just another poster, teacher I am guessing by your condescending way

of posting but that is only IMHO. gooday Richard_smith. sadly they do not have an emocion for plonker

Cheers.

Well if you are familiar with teachers speaking to you in a condescending manner its quite understandable.... whistling.gif

But push your insults else where, I'm only interested in the topic and not bickering with people who get upset on an anonymous forum: offtopic.gif

----------

Common Sense, Risk, Worry.. For me at least are all part of the same framework...

People worry about things and through common sense evaluate the real risk...

Thus: When considering a Tsunami recurrence is something someone may worry about.

The Tsunami occurred with such deviating and tragic results its only natural that the memory and images would be fixed in peoples minds.

Those images are fixed in my mind and I have found myself wondering 'what if'... What if I had been at the beach on that day at that time...

I think its natural to sometimes think that when witnessing a tragic event.

Thus: To consider could it happen again? what are the chances? what is the risk? is common sense... Or for others would seem like we 'worry too much'...