Russian Assault Suspects sentenced to 109 years in Prison at Pattaya Court

webfact

Russian Assault Suspects sentenced to 109 years in Prison at Pattaya Court

russia-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Three Thai Men accused of armed abduction and sexual assault of two Russian Tourists on Christmas Day 2012 have been sentenced to a total of 109 years behind bars by a Judge at the Pattaya Provincial Court.

On Wednesday we were granted rare access to a sentencing hearing at the Courthouse in South Pattaya as the presiding Judge Khun Gasichon read out the sentences for the three men.

They were found guilty of first committing an armed abduction of Miss Maria aged 30 and Miss Anastasia aged 31 in Pratamnuk Soi 4 in South Pattaya in the early hours of 25th December 2012. They were then taken to a remote location in the Huay Yai area and first robbed of their possessions and then sexually assaulted by the men.

The Judge sentenced the three men as follows:

• Khun Vichien aged 36 was sentenced to 41 years in Prison.

• Khun Tongchai aged 21 was sentenced to 21 years and 6 months in Prison.

• Khun Anuwat aged 33 was sentenced to 46 years and 6 months in Prison.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/109667/russian-assault-suspects-sentenced-109-years-prison-pattaya-court/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-11-21

• Like 1

This is the important part of this article;

On Wednesday we were granted rare access to a sentencing hearing at the Courthouse in South Pattaya as the presiding Judge Khun Gasichon read out the sentences for the three men.

Methinks the judge has more common sense than most as to what the tour vendors want to see. In light of the treats of boycotts by the Russian Tour Assn this sort of information will instil more confidence in the Thai system than a whole lot of decrees from Mr "90 days".

• Like 1

finally , real prison times as they should be but will they have their times cut in the near future as usual .

Bloody marvellous I say, and even if their sentences are reduced, there is now way they are going get changed to a THB 500 fine and a slap on the wrist.

This should be broadcast on TV and radio programmes so that the rest of the scumbags know what to look forward to if they don't mend their ways.

Thumbs up twice in one week for judges here in Thailand....!

• Like 2

The Thai woman in the photo they are pointing at, what has she got to do with it.

She is doing the enactment of the assault in the dis used guard hut in the Hue Yai area I think it was and comes from the original story and arrest.

• Like 2

The Thai woman in the photo they are pointing at, what has she got to do with it.

The photo is probably when they were to the crime reenactment thing after their arrest and she was standing in for one of the Russian victims.

Contrary to what appears to be e common view among the enlightened members of T-V, I feel the sentences are excessively harsh, and very much so. I don't know the details of the case except what I recall from the original press reports, which I do remember or if the perps have prior records. In any case, I feel that any sentence of more than 20 years, for any crime except first degree murder, is excessive.

I know rape is a crime of violence and a despicable act but prison is also a severe punishment and a sentence of 5-10 years would be sufficient IMO to serve to punish the offenders and deter such behavior by others. The fact the press was let in on this hearing lends credence to my suspicions that the court was grandstanding in its verdict because Of the notoriety of this case.

• Like 2

She is doing the enactment of the assault in the dis used guard hut in the Hue Yai area I think it was and comes from the original story and arrest.

Fair enough thanks.

Must have been before they purchased that big Teddy Bear.

The photo is probably when they were to the crime reenactment thing after their arrest and she was standing in for one of the Russian victims.

Contrary to what appears to be e common view among the enlightened members of T-V, I feel the sentences are excessively harsh, and very much so. I don't know the details of the case except what I recall from the original press reports, which I do remember or if the perps have prior records. In any case, I feel that any sentence of more than 20 years, for any crime except first degree murder, is excessive.

I know rape is a crime of violence and a despicable act but prison is also a severe punishment and a sentence of 5-10 years would be sufficient IMO to serve to punish the offenders and deter such behavior by others. The fact the press was let in on this hearing lends credence to my suspicions that the court was grandstanding in its verdict because Of the notoriety of this case.

Unfortunately what you do not take into account is that sentences here are halved if those accused plead guilty and then halved again or more once they are inside through a sort of parole, and royal pardon system. So sentencing has to be harsh in the first place or else there would hardly be punishment at all.

Something more behind these sentences. ???...., With all the other more horrific crimes being let off with a slap on the wrist or a small fine ... well ???? Positive side , a sentence WAS handed out ... must have been traumatising for the victims ....

I remember the Russian Embassy was putting pressure on the RTP. No idea on additional time when sentencing for abduction in Thailand, but the victims were taken off the street and transported to another place for the rapes. If memory serves me correctly one of the attackers had previously committed a major crime and jail time.

Yes this seems good, but Mr. Dumb and his Dumber team will be discharged with in maximum 4-5 yrs. Off course those time this won't be in news, so these poor Russian girls on their next visit can get very easy dejavu ......

By the time the dust settles and the sentence is halved for pleading guilty and reduced again for good

behaviour and the kings birthday pardon comes through they will do between 5-8 years which is probably

the correct sentence. Will we get a story when they are released no, we get the headlines now that satisfy

the Russian government.

• Like 2

I hate these misleading headlines sentenced to 109 years, divided through three and so on, that is typically boulevard low level journalism!

No we often get the same headline reporting here in the UK if there are many persons involved.

Great to see at last "Justice Inaction"

If this were the UK then they would normally serve only half that, less any time spent on remand, and probably the sentence would be reduced on appeal.

Still does look like a show trial and in all fairness (not knowing the full facts) does seem to be OTT, and yet we see others who do worse things evading justice.

P.S.

Has the reporting and harsh sentences anything to do with another story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683147-russian-tourism-group-threatens-thailand-boycott/

Edited by Basil B

So they get away with murders and maybe have to serve 4 years in prison and suddenly sexual assault is 41 years ?

Something is not right here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So they get away with murders and maybe have to serve 4 years in prison and suddenly sexual assault is 41 years ?

41 y is to much? if yes then Use your imagination and try to apply those case to yourself and then chose What would you like to be raped or kiled? and what is right and what is wrong. aha

Edited by Biting Elbows

my thoughts exactly - unless the judge expects the real and effective sentence after successive reductions to be around 5 years, I concur that it is ludicrous to sentence people harsher for sexual assault than for murder.

Edited by manarak