Survey finds 16.3% Thai university students cheat in exams

webfact

Survey finds 16.3% university students cheat in exams
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- An online survey has learned that as many as 16.3 per cent of university students have cheated in exams. The survey covered 5,654 students from 23 higher educational institutes.

Assoc Prof Pachitjanut Siripanich, who works for the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA), said: "About 29.7 per cent of the respondents admitted that they helped their friends cheat. The figures are just shocking."

While releasing the findings at a seminar yesterday, she said that students thought nothing of plagiarising other academic work.

"Most of them know it is shameful, but they still do it," she said.

NIDA was commissioned by the Council of University Presidents of Thailand (CUUPT) to conduct the survey.

"We will use these findings to call on all universities to campaign against cheating," CUPT president Somkiat Lertpaitoon said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-23

Now I am certainly not in the Thai-bashing camp; far from it. However, that number seems way too low. According to friends who graduated from uni, cheating is epidemic across the board.

I think it depends on which university and who they're friends with. (Since students probably won't risk letting everyone know that they're cheating).

Every time I suggest that there is a lot of cheating at universities my gf tells me about how strict the supervisors were and how hardly anyone cheated when she was at uni.

But having seen how the students at my high school try to cheat, I know that they're not really morally adverse to cheating. Also seeing some university graduates who REALLY don't deserve to have graduated, I'm pretty sure that some universities are very relaxed in their scrutiny of examinees (or that some universities simply have very low standards).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"We will use these findings to call on all universities to campaign against cheating," CUPT president Somkiat Lertpaitoon said.

---These are the same "universities" that don't know who Hitler was, or why anyone gets upset by their uni grads sieg heil'ing the Fuehrer for graduation photos.

Cheating is an Asian thing. I've taught in Laos and am presently teaching in Korea. I have friends who teach in China. Asians cheat on everything. The SAT exams were recently cancelled country wide in Korea because the professor in charge of the Office of Education was selling the answers.

I wouldn't say that is is endemic in Asian society, I would say that it is the only facet of their society that allows them to keep pace with the West. What do Asians invent? Nothing. They take/steal Western inventions and innovations and tweak them and call them original.

Korean students who go to Canada or the USA to university have a huge failure/dropout rate because they can't handle doing work alone and being singularly responsible.

Several nuclear reactors are offline in Korea because the guy in charge of safety was falsifying the safety reports, claiming work was satisfactory that had never been done. On freaking nuke plants!!!

• Like 2

If you yourself have completed a University degree in a civilised country care to conduct your own "Mini Survey" amongst your so called Thai counterparts you will soon realise that "Things Just Ain't the Same". Either the Education Level is low in all respects or there is some "Funny Business" with many pass results.

PEP has spoken!!!!

My first thought was the number is way too low. Then it occurred to me that the society as a whole teaches lying, cheating, bribing, grabbing, tricking .... etc. And so the number really only indicates the % of students that have not learned to keep their mouth shut and not screw it up for the rest. In this case, the number is high! wai2.gif

Let's not be overly critical towards the Thai students? This takes place in many exams,and in many countries, the students spend more time on how to cheat than actually studying." Let's beat the system." They can be very creative and innovated in the cheating concept.

In Thailand, many professors do not cover exams, proctors will supervise it. Some are secretaries, assistants, etc. if a student has a question, forget it, the exams are delivered with instructions, and hope for the best! They will utilize their phones, SMS, etc. to find the appropriate answers.

What is the solution? Let the professor give the exam! He/she can discourage cheating if walking around and answering questions rather than drinking coffee at the desk.

Thank you,

Ph.D

Now I am certainly not in the Thai-bashing camp; far from it. However, that number seems way too low. According to friends who graduated from uni, cheating is epidemic across the board.

I think it depends on which university and who they're friends with. (Since students probably won't risk letting everyone know that they're cheating).

Every time I suggest that there is a lot of cheating at universities my gf tells me about how strict the supervisors were and how hardly anyone cheated when she was at uni.

But having seen how the students at my high school try to cheat, I know that they're not really morally adverse to cheating. Also seeing some university graduates who REALLY don't deserve to have graduated, I'm pretty sure that some universities are very relaxed in their scrutiny of examinees (or that some universities simply have very low standards).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Its a way of life for Thais... try to circumvent rules and regulations and try to get away with it... reflected in their behavior in society at large... driving, overcharging tourists, not complying with safety standards.. I am always amazed at the way the hordes of motorcyclists behave on the road...and their usage of the road... no helmets, no glasses, women holding small babies while navigating through traffic... it is a way of life... disregard for safety and complete and utter ignorance of the rules... how many tourists, unfortunately the majority seem to be Russian, have been killed in road accidents during the past year?

The fact that it's still possible to cheat at university level exams says a lot about the standards of education in this country. In my engineering school, during most exams we were allowed to use as many documentation as we wanted. The questions were made in a way that they tested the student's ability to solve a problem without making most form of cheating impossible.

Foreign language test? Write an essay

Math? Solve an equation or a problem

Mechanical design? Draw it and calculate the acceptable size of each elements on the side

Manufacture? Each questions required a mini essay.

etc...

Each question was usually a few lines long and required pages of calculus or logical reasonning. Unless you slipped your complete exam sheets to your neighbour it was basically impossible to cheat.

If cheating is still prevalent at university then there is a problem. Is the teacher dedicated enough to spend at least 20 minutes grading each paper? Is an english student even able to write an essay? Has the university gone past the rote learning model and multiple choice questionnaires? probably not.

• Like 1

I thought the guy who did the final checking was the biggest cheat, passing folk who failed. sad.png

Gotta love such posts,as you can buy a Doctorate degree for 500 k. Ever thought about having a title before transam?

Dr. Trans ,or Dr. Am sounds much better to me. But that's not called cheating. 55555555555555555555555555555555555555

Our Thai English teachers with their Masters in English can explain the procedure to you. But you'll have to come with your wife and speak Thai with them.

Said information comes from a lawyer who's not a liar in Ubon. -wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

I thought the guy who did the final checking was the biggest cheat, passing folk who failed. sad.png

Gotta love such posts,as you can buy a Doctorate degree for 500 k. Ever thought about having a title before transam?

Dr. Trans ,or Dr. Am sounds much better to me. But that's not called cheating. 55555555555555555555555555555555555555

Said information comes from a lawyer who's not a liar in Ubon. -

I like the sound of Sir Trans..........giggle.gif ..................laugh.png

• Like 2

Okay you got me on that.biggrin.png What about Sir Dr. Transi?-w00t.gif

Cheating is an Asian thing. I've taught in Laos and am presently teaching in Korea. I have friends who teach in China. Asians cheat on everything. The SAT exams were recently cancelled country wide in Korea because the professor in charge of the Office of Education was selling the answers.

I wouldn't say that is is endemic in Asian society, I would say that it is the only facet of their society that allows them to keep pace with the West. What do Asians invent? Nothing. They take/steal Western inventions and innovations and tweak them and call them original.

Korean students who go to Canada or the USA to university have a huge failure/dropout rate because they can't handle doing work alone and being singularly responsible.

Several nuclear reactors are offline in Korea because the guy in charge of safety was falsifying the safety reports, claiming work was satisfactory that had never been done. On freaking nuke plants!!!

Never heard of gunpowder? We would still be hitting each other with rocks if we hadn't stolen this invention off the Asians.

Okay you got me on that.biggrin.png What about Sir Dr. Transi?-w00t.gif

Or, Sir Lord Dr. Trans............I am feeling very important now.............giggle.gif .........smile.png

Can someone please lend me 500,000 bht...........laugh.png

Edited by transam

Totally unrealistic to survey something like this in this way, in Thailand, so the findings are way off. From my experience as a teacher I get papers back that are photo copies of other students work, they don't even try to hide the fact that they copy others. Little wonder they think it's OK to cheat in exams.

• Like 2

Yep not a racist and completely ignorant post at all! Did you come from the 1850"s? Are you here to complete the 'white man's burden'?

Yep not a racist and completely ignorant post at all! Did you come from the 1850"s? Are you here to complete the 'white man's burden'?

You don't like the truth ?

• Like 1

I don't think the facts on cheating are racist. Generally, in Asia, exam scores are much more important than they are in many other countries. This starts when they are quite young. Where I work, KG students must sit for a written exam and they will get a % score and we have parents who will come in an argue about the % score. That's a lot of pressure that starts pretty early.

• Like 1

If they didnt cheat, they wouldnt pass .. failure is not an option.

If students were made to retake years from the age of elementary school because they didnt pass their exams there would be kids who never make it out of Pratom school. I have taught Mathayom students who couldnt read or write their name in English and have difficulty in their own language, why? because all they have done is copy from the board for duration of their academic career.

Coursework .. waste of time, they copy from their friends, they copy word for word from Wikipedia. Why would they think that cheating is wrong in exams, they have been cheated / cheating all their lives in one way or another, it comes to a point where the kids are so unaware they are cheating, that cheating becomes the norm.

We had a saying when i was a kid, "if you cheat, you only cheat yourself" .. and thats what Thailand has been doing for years, cheating itself out of progress.

• Like 1

Thais are taught not to value individuality, so the results are not surprising. I'm surprised it's this low. I think the figures are higher than this. based on what I see happening in schools. Until teachers and academics stop condoning the practice, it will continue. We are very strict in my school - anyone caught cheating in an exam automatically gets 0 for that exam with no retest,