Thai opposition protesters storm foreign ministry

webfact

Hm, ran into a "redshirt" yesterday in our area in Bangkholaem. Simple worker from Isaan and not at the demonstrations because he had to work for a living. He had no weapons and/or matches with him. We chatted for a while had a laugh together and that was it. Well, typical situation for the Thais that I know and those are quite a lot and as per my experience this appears to hold also true for the majority independant from the colour of their shirts.

Now I ask myself, do I know the wrong people. xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p

Your "redshirt" sounds like a lovely fellow, hard to believe he associates with the type of lowlifes who did what they did in 2010, in Bangkok and all around the country, setting fire to tires, government buildings, shopping centers and anything else that would burn. Not to mention what happened at the hospital and their violent attacks on the Thai Army.

The redshirt who sticks in my mind is the one I saw attacking the ATM in front of the Bangkok Bank branch in Thapae Rd. Chiang Mai, while terrified bank staff ran from the bank fearing for their lives.

He was probably a simple worker from Isaan as well, who was giving Thaksin real value for his 500 baht a day.

Don't talk to me about rotten to the core terrorists, they are easily the lowest form of life on this planet, and anyone who supports them is not much better. bah.gif

Hey, hey, we are basically talking about a majority of simple people and not some hardcore terrorists in the South. All red shirts I know and there are plenty in my very typical Thai area are decent and sanuk loving people. I doubt that anyone of them was paid to participate in the past demonstrations but if you want me I can ask them directly. They just went to the demonstrations on the weekends because on regular days they had to work. The considered it more a sanuk thing, a party with fellow Thais.

Nevertheless, they just did not trust Khun Aphisit as they told me and considered him double-tongued. These were their own words to me as an reaction to a speech by Khun Aphisit in the radio back then. No, it was not in a political environment but at their place of work at a construnction material company or at the motorcycle taxi stand.

Most of the red shirts did not not engage into more violence than their different coloured counterparts. It eventually escalated because the red shirts felt betrayed while their yellow closed counterparts got their will. I wonder how it would have ended if there had not been the support of the court. Same question nowadays. What happens if the demonstrators can not achieve their goals and get ordered to return home? Will they turn to violende like the red shirts in the past? Do you have the answer? Does actually the colour of a shirt make a difference among human beings? I doubt it. However, desparation makes surely a difference. The feeling of being betrayed and powerless. Nevertheless, most people will most likely not advocate violence but in any crowd there are thugs that have their own agenda and will use the opportunity. For example to attack an ATM. blink.png

• Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Up until the end of the second world war Thailands goverment protected the rice farmer against the rice merchant.

Since this has stopped the rice farmer has been abused, with the merchant taking all the profit.

Thaksin could see an oppening to get votes, he started the rice pledging scheme to buy votes and at the same time help farmers.

The rice merchants are doing all they can to stop this, this includes the present protests against the goverment.

Instead of running off at the mouth repeating what some other Thaksin lover told you.

Could you kindly tell me about how much the merchants are making storing all that rice and how much the rice farmers are making after all their expenses are paid off. Be specific. You are making a definite statement about every merchant and rice grower now back it up with facts.

The question has often been posed as to what ultimate effect the foreign ministry will suffer for ignoring the ombudsmans orders for the boss's passport to be revoked as befits a convict on the run from his jail sentence.

Well now we know the answer. This will happen. Your ministry will be invaded by thousands of outraged citizens. I'll bet the foreign ministry bigwigs don't feel quite so untouchable any more.