Suthep calls for 'people's government'

webfact

PROTEST
Call for 'people's government'

The Nation

30220589-01_big.gif
Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban is greeted by protesters following their occupation of the Budget Bureau yesterday.

Protesters occupy three state offices in bid to paralyse the Yingluck government

BANGKOK: -- Suthep Thaugsuban, a key leader of the protest against the so-called Thaksin regime, announced a plan to form a "people's government" yesterday following a peaceful seizure of state power by the people.

In a symbolic gesture to paralyse the government, demonstrators began three sieges - at the Finance Ministry, the Public Relations Department (PRD) and the Foreign Ministry.

The latter incident saw about 100 protesters from the Network of Students and People for Thailand's Reform occupy a carpark at the Foreign Ministry in the early evening.

"A people's government will be established to amend the country's rules so that it is genuinely a democracy under constitutional monarchy," he said.

Suthep encouraged people who back the protesters' cause to seize state power "with their bare hands" by occupying government offices all across the country.

He spoke at a press conference held inside the Finance Ministry after a group of protesters that he led managed to occupy the Budget Bureau, which is located inside the ministry's complex. Suthep was surrounded and asked by an army of reporters, many from television stations accused by the protesters of failing to sufficiently cover the mass street demonstrations over recent days.

Suthep said the occupation of the Finance Ministry was an example made for people to occupy state offices in their areas. This was part of efforts to paralyse the "Thaksin regime".

A senior Democrat politician who recently resigned as an MP, Suthep denied he was rebelling against the government. He said the government lost its legitimacy to rule after it rejected the power of the Constitutional Court.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra expressed concern yesterday about protesters occupying the Finance Ministry compound. She said the government had not expected the protesters to trespass into a government office.

Yingluck said protesters could cause damage and hurt confidence in the government with intrusions into state offices. However, she said the Cabinet had no plan to declare a state of emergency.

She said the protesters had already expressed their wishes and should wait for a censure debate starting today instead of seizing government offices.

Yesterday's dramas came after thousands of demonstrators marched from their base at the Democracy Monument to various destinations in Bangkok. Among the targeted sites were the National Police Office, the Royal Thai Army, and TV stations including ThaiTV3.

The situation was tense at several spots, prompting relevant authorities to consider extending the Internal Security Act (ISA) for 30 more days. The current invocation of the ISA is set to expire this Saturday.

Insiders said many Democrats insist that they were not involved in Suthep's movement and did not know about his plan.

Suthep and eight colleagues resigned as Democrat MPs on November 11 to lead the battle against the blanket amnesty bill, which was later upgraded into a fight against what they called the "Thaksin regime".

The protest gained significant momentum Sunday, when a huge crowd of demonstrators massed at Democracy Monument and nearby roads.

Last night, Suthep's supporters stayed overnight inside the Finance Ministry. He said a new protest site would be set up at the ministry. At press time, anti-government demonstrators also occupied the PRD and the Foreign Ministry carpark.

Some protesters managed to cut off the main power line to the Budget Bureau.

The Centre for Administration of Peace and Order, meanwhile, threatened to press charges against Suthep and the demonstrators for besieging the Finance Ministry and forcing officials out.

"A convicted mastermind is liable to a jail term or a fine, or both," the centre's spokesman Maj General Piya Uthayo said

Former Democrat MP Panit Wikritset, who joined Suthep's protest, said his group decided to besiege the Finance Ministry's Budget Bureau because it was a source of funding for the government under the Thaksin regime. Panit led the siege at the Public Relations Department.

"We have besieged the PRD as a symbolic gesture. The PRD should speak for people," he said.

Suthep said he intended to beat down the current government, because it was a puppet of Thaksin, within three days.

He said if the government did not listen to demonstrators' voice, they would besiege more ministries today.

In response to the protest, the Secretariat of the House of Representatives ordered its officials to leave early because of concern for their safety. The secretariat said officials with urgent tasks to tend to may move to work in other places instead.

Anti-riot police also asked officials at Government House to urgently leave yesterday afternoon as they were preparing to erect concrete barriers at all gates.

Meanwhile, a source said Army chief General Prayut Chan-ocha had decided to have five top Army officials work from the 11th Infantry Division, the Royal Guards, instead of Army headquarters on Rajdamnoen Avenue. They would be there for three days.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a high-ranking military officer said the RTA was closely monitoring the situation. "The RTA is worried about a possible clash between officials and demonstrators," he said, "But definitely, the RTA will not stage a coup because that will only cause damage to the country".

The 14 sites they visited

Places the protesters marched to:

1. Armed Forces Supreme Command

2. Royal Thai Air Force headquarters

3. Royal Thai Army headquarters

4. Royal Thai Navy headquarters

5. Royal Thai Police headquarters

6. Metropolitan Police Bureau

7. Channel 3

8. Channel 5

9. Channel 7

10. MCOT (Modernine)

11. NBT television station and Public

Relations Department

12. Interior Ministry

13. Budget Bureau

14. Foreign Affairs Ministry

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-26

• Like 2

A 'Peoples Govt' appointed by Suthep. Is that some kind of bad joke or at the very least an oxymoron?

I suppose it would have been a joke had it been said at all, rather than just manifested in your own head.

'A people's government will be established to amend the country's rules so that it is genuinely a democracy under constitutional monarchy," he said'

No mention of appointing anyone.

There is a difference between appointing officials and intention to establish a government under a fairer more democratic system which is obviously what is meant here.

Democracy means elections which is not what is meant here. Of course maybe I'm wrong. If so list the democratic governments that appoint rulers rather than elect them.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Suthep is 100% with regard to the ptp government who has decided it's above the courts .but it twas ever thus ,the puppet pms brother believes he is above the court ruling and his brainwashed lackies are now convinced they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

"A people's government will be established to amend the country's rules so that it is genuinely a democracy under constitutional monarchy," he said.

I commend this statement, as I consider a functioning version of Thailand's Constitutional Monarchy to be truly excellant, both for honouring an ancient and magnificent history, and for offering meritocratic progress in the future. I disagree on actions involving seizure of buildings. That is akin to terrorism, for the workers in those buildings who want a quiet normal life, their working lives are upheaved & they can become fearful, which is not a positive step.

As earlier posts mentioned, December 5 will offer a cessation of all this. My hope is that after the celebrations following this great day, people will find time for reflection, and return to protest in peaceful mass-demonstrations. Speeches should also be non-incendiary and focus on the encyclopedic list of PTP failings, rather than character assassinations. It is by words not weapons, that this situation can be resolved. Use of force has a long history of backfiring, whereas words have brought about some incredible changes in societies around the world.

Edited by Yunla

Suthep is 100% with regard to the ptp government who has decided it's above the courts .but it twas ever thus ,the puppet pms brother believes he is above the court ruling and his brainwashed lackies are now convinced they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK so you have a no confidence vote and call elections and get a new government. Also it would be nice to have an elected government rather than half appointed one and a constitution that lasts for a couple of hundred years.

Yes all the right wing TV members love this. DEATH PENALTY FOR YINGLUCK!!

Fact is, Suthep and his mob have proved themselves unlawful by breaking into govt facilities. Just like the airport...

Fact is, even if Yingluck steps down and the yellow shirts take over, at some point there'll be another election which Thaksin-backed party will win.

Fact is, most people in Thailand (not Bangkok) want Thaksin and his popular policies.

Fact is, Thaksin and whoever he supports/backs will win the next election and the elite/right wing can't accept it BUT IT IS DEMOCRACY.

I dont think Thaksin is as widely adored across the country as you might suggest and I think a lot of his one supporters would probably also think he is yesterdays's man, he has had his time now just retire with grace.

He cant seem to do that though can he, too much time on his hands perhaps? If he has an atome of anything between his ears he must realize that coming back here is not option to consider, too many people who hold a grudge and a gun.

It's interesting. The government could prosecute Suthep and the gang, bring them to justice in the court that this government refuse to obey... except only when they win? Or maybe just skip the court and shoot them down like there's no court in this country. It's dead end for Yingluck for now. The constitution does not allow dissolution during motion of no confidence debate, and her brother wouldn't approve her resignation. Her last night's announcement really sounded nervous... she does not deserve to go through all of this. Poor her. sad.png

• Like 1

I commend this statement, as I consider a functioning version of Thailand's Constitutional Monarchy to be truly excellant, both for honouring an ancient and magnificent history, and for offering meritocratic progress in the future. I disagree on actions involving seizure of buildings. That is akin to terrorism, for the workers in those buildings who want a quiet normal life, their working lives are upheaved & they can become fearful, which is not a positive step.

As earlier posts mentioned, December 5 will offer a cessation of all this. My hope is that after the celebrations following this great day, people will find time for reflection, and return to protest in peaceful mass-demonstrations. Speeches should also be non-incendiary and focus on the encyclopedic list of PTP failings, rather than character assassinations. It is by words not weapons, that this situation can be resolved. Use of force has a long history of backfiring, whereas words have brought about some incredible changes in societies around the world.

a very close person to me is in the finance ministry tells me people are going to work ..fearfull i dont think so do you.the ones that havnt gone in are happy for the time off.words have bought great changes i agree..but not when they fall on very deaf ears.try to remember this is all about 1 man his ego..rampant theft...words appear to be a non-starter.unfortunatly..i could go on .but anyone with a brain knows the score....

<deleted> Suthep is still walking around. Why nobody is going to arrest him. There are 90 dead Thais on his and Abhisits account.

Where is the justice in Thailand?

Thailand is not readz for democracy, there live 150 years behind the social and political evolution.

It seems that the old gets in the way of the "now". History has proven that might is right and if you want to gain attention, force, an action, is more effective than words, a non-action. But, without a clear goal and real organization nothing will change. It is wishful thinking that words alone effect change; History is written by the victor and that is where the words come from.

Yes all the right wing TV members love this. DEATH PENALTY FOR YINGLUCK!!

Fact is, Suthep and his mob have proved themselves unlawful by breaking into govt facilities. Just like the airport...

Fact is, even if Yingluck steps down and the yellow shirts take over, at some point there'll be another election which Thaksin-backed party will win.

Fact is, most people in Thailand (not Bangkok) want Thaksin and his popular policies.

Fact is, Thaksin and whoever he supports/backs will win the next election and the elite/right wing can't accept it BUT IT IS DEMOCRACY.

I dont think Thaksin is as widely adored across the country as you might suggest and I think a lot of his one supporters would probably also think he is yesterdays's man, he has had his time now just retire with grace.

He cant seem to do that though can he, too much time on his hands perhaps? If he has an atome of anything between his ears he must realize that coming back here is not option to consider, too many people who hold a grudge and a gun.

I agree with nong38.

*Thaksin doesnt have the support and reverie that he had a couple of years ago.

* Not all TV "right wingers" (not sure that's the correct label for anti Thaksin proponents) want the death penalty for Yingluck but at least would like to see her term in office and her govr with it die a death (metaphorically speaking).

* 6 months ago PTP or Thaksin backed party could and probably would have won a snap election but I think the tables have turned now making that unlikely.

* "Most" people (meaning "most uneducated and/or uninformed or with a pecuniary interest") do want Thaksin's popularist policies but there is a vastly growing number that definately dont want them and can see through them for what they are. I think people do want a good government and do want a postive change where the real best interests of the nation are pursued.

* Thaksin's support/backing of any party at any election CANNOT be perceived as democracy! He and his red thug goonies wouldn't have a clue what real democracy looks like. If he (Thaksin) can't spell "lose" then what chance has he got at being able to spell "democracy"?

Edited by falangadang
  • Like 1

A 'Peoples Govt' appointed by Suthep. Is that some kind of bad joke or at the very least an oxymoron?

Its a terrible joke. Anti-democracy demonstrations because they haven't won an actually election in decades. And I thought the system in Cambodia was bad.

Hun Sen is Thaksin's eternal friend. Waking up?

<deleted> Suthep is still walking around. Why nobody is going to arrest him. There are 90 dead Thais on his and Abhisits account.

Where is the justice in Thailand?

Thailand is not readz for democracy, there live 150 years behind the social and political evolution.

The amnesty bill almost brought justice back to Thailand.