Allegations of physical abuse by Computer Teacher at East Pattaya School

webfact

Allegations of physical abuse by Computer Teacher at East Pattaya School

school-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A Computer Teacher at an East Pattaya Temple School is currently under investigation following allegations he struck four students with a cane after they were caught being unruly in a classroom.

Parents of the four students aged between 10 and 12 years, who study at the Nong Get Noi Temple School, later confronted the teacher, Khun Orashoon, after they spotted injuries across the backsides of their children, which are consistent with repeated strikes with a solid object.

The teacher, who appeared unconcerned about the allegations, told the parents to report the incident to Police if they wanted to.

Each of the children were allegedly struck 4 times across their buttocks with a cane by the teacher after he found them misbehaving in the classroom.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/110643/allegations-of-physical-abuse-by-computer-teacher-at-east-pattaya-school/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-11-30

"Teachers and parents ought to be instilling a deserved respect for authority and for education, not instilling a fear of authority based on pain and humiliation. The latter simply drives bad behavior "under ground" and out of sight and it creates resentment that will find expression in further bad behavior or antisocial behavior, sooner or later."

So tell me where it's fallen down. All the time we hear about how teachers are on a pedestal and highly respected by Thai society.

So, these kids have disrespected their teacher - who is to blame? The teacher clearly went too far, judging by those marks on their bums. There are myriad ways to punish miscreant kids - but such brutal caning is not one of them. Forced to do a menial job in front of the other kids during play time was one used at my school - but I doubt that will happen here. Can't let a boy lose face.

• Like 1

Kids now days do not respect the rules in their school because of their parents are too protective. When you did something wrong and get the punishment, it is fair. Teacher doing that is because they care and want the child to learn to be responsible of their action. If teacher that don't love or care for the child, he or she can just ignore what they did wrong and let them continue to do it. I'm a parent of two boys myself and I never stop their teacher punishing them if they did wrong. This is part of the parents fault on how naughty they are, if the parents can't teach them the right ways lets someone else do it for them.

I was caned at least three times when I was at school and I deserved it.

Nothing else works for teaching the little buggers how to behave and obey the rules.

If caning truly teaches a child how to behave, as you assert, how come you needed two more canings?

I'm 75, and assumed I was fairly reactionary, but the Neanderthal remarks of some of you guys on the merits of physical abuse for schoolkids makes my old jaw drop in sheer disbelief.

I love it when people say that being physically abused and humiliated by an adult didn't do them any harm, and then go on to write something which demonstrates the opposite!

Apart from any other consideration, caning and other physical punishment without parental consent

is against the law in Thailand and has been for years.

I learned this after my oldest stepson complained he had been caned (for something he hadn't done, as it happens).

The little bully of a teacher was unrepentant until I showed him and the headmaster a copy of the law. Then, grudgingly, my wife and I got an apology and an assurance of no further abuse.

There's enough violence in the world already, and particularly in a macho society like Thailand. The last thing we need is lessons in sadism at school.

• Like 2

I was caned at least three times when I was at school and I deserved it.

Nothing else works for teaching the little buggers how to behave and obey the rules.

If caning truly teaches a child how to behave, as you assert, how come you needed two more canings?

I'm 75, and assumed I was fairly reactionary, but the Neanderthal remarks of some of you guys on the merits of physical abuse for schoolkids makes my old jaw drop in sheer disbelief.

I love it when people say that being physically abused and humiliated by an adult didn't do them any harm, and then go on to write something which demonstrates the opposite!

Apart from any other consideration, caning and other physical punishment without parental consent

is against the law in Thailand and has been for years.

I learned this after my oldest stepson complained he had been caned (for something he hadn't done, as it happens).

The little bully of a teacher was unrepentant until I showed him and the headmaster a copy of the law. Then, grudgingly, my wife and I got an apology and an assurance of no further abuse.

There's enough violence in the world already, and particularly in a macho society like Thailand. The last thing we need is lessons in sadism at school.

So why don't you share with us exactly HOW you would get students to stop fighting or putting gum in girls hair or smoking in the bathroom or bullying another student.....exactly WHAT would YOU do if you have already tried keeping after school or doing clean up type tasks and NONE of it changes the behavior one bit? I understand that there is plenty of violence in the world already but frankly I really do not think getting a few whacks on the rear end when all else has failed is exactly sadism. When a few kids constantly disrupt a class they are depriving the other students who may WANT to actually learn. I suppose we could just expel the troublemakers rather than whack them but then you have probably made them even worse as they now are dropouts with no education.

Sure you could call in their parents and tell them that little somchai is a bully and that the parents have to control him.....that "might" work...or they might take little somchai home and beat the living crap out of him.

• Like 1

A few good whacks with the cane can do wonders IMHO. Yes, I was caned too at school, usually fingertips of the left hand so you could still write with your right hand. That has not turned me into a thug, a murderer or a bully. It did make me take more notice in the future though and behave better. My parents would have given me a second bout of discipline too if they found out. That does not make them bullies either because that is the way life was in those days.

Nicking apples, pears, strawberries in season was much a part of life as playing conkers. If we got caught, we knew what to expect, but nobody really classed it as stealing.

It seems to me also that discipline has broken down in very many schools and classrooms since all these goddy 2 shoes liberals have taken over. Send the kids home, give them detention etc. That does not seem to work at all, unlike a couple of quick whacks with a cane.

I remember reading 'The Bash Street Kids' in the ? Dandy / ?Beano comics. Where the kids had books stuffed down the back of their pants when off to see the teacher to be disciplined. It was part of life unlike now where they would not dare have a children's comic showing that sort of thing in these undisciplined days.

• Like 2

Thais are getting just as litigant as the USA , what next ? accident claims line?

the kids were being naughty, they got caned for it

used to happen every day to somebody in school when i was growing up

although i expect some on here would disagree, it did me no harm psychologically...

I assume you got whipped for being grammatically creative. Which begs the question....... :-)

for the sake of the TV grammar police i ran it though MS Word

Microsoft made this of it:

Thais are getting just as litigant as the USA, what next? Accident claims line?

The kids were being naughty, they got caned for it

Used to happen every day to somebody in school when I was growing up

Although I expect some on here would disagree, it did me no harm psychologically...

a few words capitalized,

so Card, what question is that supposed to beg?

i got whacked with a cane across the palms for beating up the school bully who was picking on little kids

it was worth it and reinforced my hatred of bullies for life

Edited by Rimmer
  • Like 1

Any teacher or parent who routinely resorts to corporal punishment is admitting that he/she has lost control and the children will realize that. Occasionally either a teacher or parent can lose patience and react out of frustration, which is totally understandable and a valuable lesson to children that there are limits to tolerance. That is not the same as using violence in a calm, methodical way in order to maintain control. There may be short term appearance of behavior modification but in the longer term the lesson taught is if you want something, use violence, and if you are going to behave badly, do it without being caught.

Any teacher who is drawn to exposing little boys' bums and is into flagellation (or casual passersby who pause to watch older boys getting whacked on their backsides) bears watching.

Teachers and parents ought to be instilling a deserved respect for authority and for education, not instilling a fear of authority based on pain and humiliation. The latter simply drives bad behavior "under ground" and out of sight and it creates resentment that will find expression in further bad behavior or antisocial behavior, sooner or later.

A good whack may make the whacker feel powerful and in charge and make the whackee stop doing something for the moment, but any teacher or parent who relies on violence to camouflage his/her inadequacies is deluding him/herself and any child who behaves only in the presence of possible physical abuse is simply a problem waiting to escalate.

Of course, most of us may have gotten a whack across the backside when we were young and may have richly earned it and been none the worse for it. Some of us wear it as a badge of honor and probably magnify the memory in the retelling to pump up our egos, but again there is a big difference between getting a reaction out of a frustrated parent or teacher because of some unusually provoking behavior as opposed to a child who lives in an environment at home or school where control is superficially maintained through the use of routine physical punishment. One of the attractions of being a gang member is that you get to join a "family" that empowers you rather than belittling you and that offers you the opportunity to use violence to repay others for the violence you experienced.

Go bury your head in a hole. It's people like you that have caused so much trouble. See how many kids run amuck these "enlightened" days, compared to 40 years ago. So many teachers are now leaving the profession simply because there is no way to control kids, except to put their name on the board or expel them, which in many cases is rewarding them for doing something wrong. We are all animals, how does a dog discipline its pups, a lion discipline its kittens, an elephant its calf...all by some form or corporal punishment, humans are no different...actions and consequences.

Interesting. One post presents a reasoned and well posited argument against corporal punishment. The response starts with an aggressive insult and follows with a rant that supports the contrary view to all social science research.

No one says that disciplining children, or unruly adults is not necessary. It is the way society goes about it.

Birching, caning, slapping - all worked a treat .......... not!

• Like 1

My career was teaching emotionally disturbed high school students. My students were usually either members of the Crips or Bloods (two black gangs that were notorious in USA). There were a few times my students had guns in the classroom, usually lost one out of 15 each year due to murdering, being murdered or suicide. I have street cred, as they would say.

Physical violence does not instill respect. It instills fear or revenge. My students were much younger than me, in the prime of physical life. If I were stupid enough to assault them, I would fully expect (and deserve) to get a painful beating. The cretin who assaulted those students was no doubt larger than them. But the kids grow up: what then? And the beating they may get can be worn as a "red badge of courage". Physical violence at a minimum makes a bad situation worse. "Oh, I think I will go to school so I can be beaten. Sounds like such fun!" Beatings don't lead to a love of learning. Lead by example, show how to problem solve.

I didn't try to control my students. That was their job, as it should be. Present them with choices and consequences. Many control freaks are attracted to careers where they think they can control others: teaching and police come to mind. Schools should not be prisons, with a prison mentality. If my student's would get into attempted confrontations over rules, expectations, etc and try to bait me into some sort of fight, I would say "There is the door. If you can't or won't handle the rules here, I suggest you leave. The door is not locked. It is your choice." I ran a democratic classroom: the students and I set the rules and expectations once we agreed on why we were there (to get an education to hopefully have a better life). The rules they came up with essentially the same as what I would have, but the difference was they had a sense of ownership in those rules. It is not that difficult if you treat your students like intelligent people who have legit hopes and aspirations same as the rest of us.

Last point is that providing them with meaningful learning experiences (so lacking here!) does much to reduce acting out behavior. I think if I were stuck in a rote learning, ask no questions learning environment, I would misbehave too.

• Like 2

Probably because I did three entirely different wrong things at entirely different times and in entirely different schools. But I never repeated any of the mistakes for which I got the cane so each caning was effective.

Or maybe it's just because I'm thick.

Strange how for centuries us kids received a clout for doing something wrong which made us more aware of behaving, did all these centuries of kids all grow up odd. Don't think so. Only in the last few decades has stuff changed, and guess what, with it, the kids have changed, and not for their good.

Corporal punishment when I was at school was for the ''fear'' element, 99% of kids knew that and behaved, the odd few kids didn't give a toss and still played up, but enjoyed the bad boy image.

Now, folk try and ''buy'' their kids behaviour, bribery, from an early age. Usually a bag of chips or some plastic rubbish, and so it goes on up till now, the latest phone is the biggy.

Seems strange to me how violent kids of today are, considering they never endured the risk of a whack at school. Very strange that.

• Like 2

Thais are getting just as litigant as the USA , what next ? accident claims line?

the kids were being naughty, they got caned for it

used to happen every day to somebody in school when i was growing up

although i expect some on here would disagree, it did me no harm psychologically...

i was punished at school and realised that inflicting pain on someone seems to work later on in life i done that to people it was called being a bully these are children 12 years old they are naughty what he has done is cruelty and i think has a more perverted apeal to a man inflicting that sort of punishment he has not canned them but more then that as the marks shows do it to him see how he enjoys it

why do adults think slapping or hurting a child makes them a better person

Edited by mickyboy