Advice

saab

You can come and park it in my condo in Silom. 24 hr security. My parking space is free right now. Only 1500 baht per month rental.

Serious offer. PM me if interested.

First I need to know what type and model. The u could possibly let me drive it until u get back. I have a California DL since 45 yrs.

I like "burn a fuse and put it in place of the fuel pump fuse". However, if Somchai decides to drive it, now he is going to kill your battery trying to start it. So perhaps there us another fuse for 'starter relay' or some such. If so, put a bad one in there also. Take the good fuses with you.

The check the odometer and logger ideas do not make sense. The OP is trying to prevent the car from being used, not catch somebody doing wrong.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If it's a gasoline powered car, take out the rotor in the distributor.

I didn't realise that it was a vintage car. Most late models are electronic fuel injection with an electronic engine management system,
The OP stated it is a diesel. The post you quoted says "If it's a gasoline powered car..."

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Removing the battery is next to useless. You can just jump it using whatever vehicle the perp arrived in.

2 things you can do in the interest of simplicity are:

1. Unclipping the distributor cap and pulling off the rotor inside the distributor (easily pops off into your pocket). Then clipping the cap back on (they probably won't know why the car is not starting and you don't want to give it away).

2. You can also remove a distributor wire. Easily pull off from the spark plug and distributor, fits in your pocket (they may see this and go buy a replacement, return, and find it still does not start, time to give up LOL).

3. My car has a spring that attaches the gas pedal to the carb that can easily be removed. Many things you can disconnect, the likelyhood of them finding what it is very unlikely, esp I you do two things.

Edited by donniereadit
  • Like 1

Removing the battery is next to useless. You can just jump it using whatever vehicle the perp arrived in.

2 things you can do in the interest of simplicity are:

1. Unclipping the distributor cap and pulling off the rotor inside the distributor (easily pops off into your pocket). Then clipping the cap back on (they probably won't know why the car is not starting and you don't want to give it away).

2. You can also remove a distributor wire. Easily pull off from the spark plug and distributor, fits in your pocket (they may see this and go buy a replacement, return, and find it still does not start, time to give up LOL).

3. My car has a spring that attaches the gas pedal to the carb that can easily be removed. Many things you can disconnect, the likelyhood of them finding what it is very unlikely, esp I you do two things.

It must be one of those special diesel engines with the optional distributor and carburetor.

if your gone 6mnths thats plenty of time for them to find whats missing and fix it but if its got the latch release cpu than you could just pull it out its about the size of a car stereo and take it with you cant see them paying 400 odd dollars just to drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If you can...

• Remove the spark plugs. That would mean that they would have to buy new ones... you know spend money!
  • Put barrel lock for the ignition to cut it off.
  • Remove the electrical leads to the plugs.
  • Take out the fuses or at least a few.
  • Get an alarm system installed that cuts the power from the electrics that only you have the 'fob/s' for with you.

Other than that? I have no idea if you want to be "discreet". But do remember to use as much of the fuel as you can as after 6-months it can go 'bad' and get a good oil service for the same reason before you go. But really, you should allow them to use the car from time to time if to just keep the fluids circulating and the tires in good order and round! But I do hear you. It is a concern someone else using your car... in any country.

Good luck and have a safe trip home.

One more thing ... Unclipping the distributor cap and pulling off the rotor inside the distributor will render the car useless and they will not figure that out I have a feeling. That is if the car has one. Just like one had to do in the UK during WW2.

Have you left the car unused for such a long time before? It does pay to have it started and run up to operating temperature at least once a month, if not protecting the engine. Also if the fuel tank is not full, it can have water accumulating in the fuel. I know that happens with petrol, not sure about diesel. Good idea to keep battery charged too.

However, to disable the engine, I'd insert a tap into the fuel line. That can be used at any time, when parked as a thief will only get so far before the engine stops. Of course the tap should not be in an obvious place.

OR, unbolt the muffler and insert a metal blanking plate to prevent the exhaust working.

• Like 1

OP:

...."Car is a diesel engine"

I guess OP's question concerns an ordinary pickup truck like a D-max or such.

Some TVF-Mechanics might associate with the famous crawlers/bulldozers of Caterpillars' D-series. These tractors with high compression diesel engines make use of a two cylinder donkey petrol engine for starting which range in power from 10hp on the D2 to 24hp on the mighty D8.

And yes, to avoid unsolicited starting, when leaving these big machines unattended overnight, the mechanics could tamper with the ignition (starter switch, distributer, cables & spark plugs) at the 'donkey' petrol unit.

(Of course not at the diesel engine that lacks such ignition as a good mechanic knows.)!

Have mechanic come by and remove the drive line, and put that in some storage facility you have the key for. Have the family start and run the engine for a bit every month as advised. Or if you have a friend you trust, have them come by and do it.

on the other hand....if it's a SAAB you just might want to allow the in laws to take it for a ride; the worst that could happen is that they fail to wreck it, but you might be able to get rid of it for free...

Just sayin'...

If it is like my SAAB 9000 they may scratch it by flattening some Toyota. The old saabs are more tanks than cars.