Living in Phuket

scubajunky

You will NEED a car ( rainy season) so figure that into ur budget 200,000-......up.

Absolutely. You will definitely need a car so start saving now. Unless you are married to a Thai bird you won't be able to buy one until you get your work permit (if you buy one new). Prices are about double that of the US when it comes to vehicles.

you do NOT need a work permit to buy a car or motorcycle Only a non immigrant visa

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will NEED a car ( rainy season) so figure that into ur budget 200,000-......up.

Absolutely. You will definitely need a car so start saving now. Unless you are married to a Thai bird you won't be able to buy one until you get your work permit (if you buy one new). Prices are about double that of the US when it comes to vehicles.

you do NOT need a work permit to buy a car or motorcycle Only a non immigrant visa

Even non-immigrant visa is not required.

• Like 1

IN PHUKET

to buy a car or motorcyle u require a certificate of residency, ( issued upstairs in the immigration office) which will ONLY be issued if you have a non imm visa.

Not sure the rest of Thailand

Certificate of residence will also be issued on tourist visa. In stead of certificate of residence also workpermit or yellow housebook can be used.

• Like 1

Certificate of residence will also be issued on tourist visa. In stead of certificate of residence also workpermit or yellow housebook can be used.

That's not strictly true Steven. If presenting a tourist visa then issue of a CoR is at the discretion of the Immigration Officer. Yes I know that it's often the case that many tourist's get the CoR, but I am just pointing out that it's not an automatic right.

That's not strictly true Steven. If presenting a tourist visa then issue of a CoR is at the discretion of the Immigration Officer. Yes I know that it's often the case that many tourist's get the CoR, but I am just pointing out that it's not an automatic right.

We're going a bit off topic here, but hey.

Normally a certificate will be issued, sometimes even on visa exempt. They might ask a copy of a rental contract or something, but people living here, even with a tourist visa, will normally be issued a certificate of residence. So yes, it will not always be the case, but on Phuket nearly always. Other provinces can be a pain for this I have heard.

The main point in this thread was the statement that a WP is required to buy a car, and that is simply not true. Also without workpermit a Phuket resident, whether on tourist visa or visa extension, will nearly always be able to register a car or motorbike in his/her name.

150K bat/$5000 a month you can live very well here and also save a lot of money

Live well in most countries with that amount of money to spend a month

Plenty of expats here who never go to the tourist areas to waste there money

$5,000 is below the average wage for a fully qualified teacher in many western countries.

I do not know the OP's personal circumstances, but any Thai baht saved during his/her "working holiday" here, will not really be enough for even a decent deposit on a house in farangland.

If, however, the OP is near retirement, or has other assets and/or income. Eg. house/rent, and plans to retire here, it's a good deal.

Thanks guys.

to the poster ranting about hanging out with expats I never once mentioned that that was all I wanted to do. I was just concenred about always being viewed as a tourist et.

Thanks again all, any onther tips and comments much appreciated.

• Like 2

Thanks guys.

to the poster ranting about hanging out with expats I never once mentioned that that was all I wanted to do. I was just concenred about always being viewed as a tourist et.

You will only ever be viewed as a tourist here by the majority of Thai's - you will just have to get used to that.

We are all just guests here and our "invitation" to be here can go at anytime, and I'm not talking about your employer.

• Like 1

Before I reply, 130k and 21k what. Baht?

Joe

Even if Baht, excellent salary for Phuket.

If your username gives any indication about the job though: not one divecompany will give a salary anywhere near that.

Why compare it to diving? This guy obviously has a degree and is well educated. Diving is considered semi skilled work and thus low paying. I have heard of salaries higher than this for British international.

But for that kind of wage you can live quite comfortably in Phuket.

Thanks guys.

You will only ever be viewed as a tourist here by the majority of Thai's - you will just have to get used to that.

We are all just guests here and our "invitation" to be here can go at anytime, and I'm not talking about your employer.

You live in Patong and hardly venture out so I can see how you feel like a tourist.

Your views of Phuket are so different to mine so I suggest you get out more.

• Like 2

ScubaJunky what you waiting for. You will be able to live well on that wage. When I was in Phuket town there was some decent serviced apartments for 25k a month. The diving is a lot better than the UK. There's no future in the UK. Its sinking get out while you can. The recovery just a smoke screen. Why pay into a system for another 30 years and then be told you will have to work until you are 80 years old to get a pension. Also the weather is crap for 8 months a year. The future is Asia!!!.

Before I reply, 130k and 21k what. Baht?

Joe

Even if Baht, excellent salary for Phuket.

If your username gives any indication about the job though: not one divecompany will give a salary anywhere near that.

Why compare it to diving? This guy obviously has a degree and is well educated. Diving is considered semi skilled work and thus low paying. I have heard of salaries higher than this for British international.

But for that kind of wage you can live quite comfortably in Phuket.

Because when I wrote that teaching was not yet mentioned, and his nick indicates diving.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks guys.

You live in Patong and hardly venture out so I can see how you feel like a tourist.

By day, I get out and about, around the whole island. By night, my experiences and opinions of Phuket nightlife are mainly based on Patong, as I refuse to pay tuk-tuk drivers and will not ride whilst intoxicated.

I was refering more about EVERY foreigner needing a visa here and the fact that gaining residency is extremely difficult, boardering on impossible. Not to mention a foreigner can not own land here,

I'm happy for you that you feel so "secure" here on your little sticker in your passport. I, however, have accepted I will ALWAYS be just a "farang" in Thailand.

Each to their own.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

By day, I get out and about, around the whole island.  By night, my experiences and opinions of Phuket nightlife are mainly based on Patong, as I refuse to pay tuk-tuk drivers and will not ride whilst intoxicated.

I was refering more about EVERY foreigner needing a visa here and the fact that gaining residency is extremely difficult, boardering on impossible.  Not to mention a foreigner can not own land here,

I'm happy for you that you feel so "secure" here on your little sticker in your passport.  I, however, have accepted I will ALWAYS be just a "farang" in Thailand.

Each to their own.

Big difference between being a farang and being a tourist.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why does the majority of threads that have more than a few replies end up with form members arguing about something that has nothing to do with what the OP asked about. Surely Phuket has got more to offer than to spend your days arguing on Thai Visa.com.

Surely Phuket has got more to offer than to spend your days arguing on Thai Visa.com.

Good point...and obviously in some peoples case Phuket hasn't!

More than one member here who must argue and pontificate on majority of threads and not on just TV .......but i figure would be the same from him where ever he lived..sad.png

I

Edited by andreandre

We were talking about being a tourist here yes or no, and you again feeling the need to lead the thread according to your own agenda.

No agenda. Simply stating that as far as "rights" are concerned, it doesn't matter what visa you are living here on, you have none, and thus, many Thai's will always view you as nothing more than a tourist.

Edited by NamKangMan

Every forum is the same, people always end up arguing.

Right, next question. spending around 20-25k a month on rent and then earning130k per month, how much would a single guy living a modest life, having one good night out a week and eating local food be able to live on / save ?

many thanks in advance

My Expenses below.

Motor Bike 3000 Bhat a month.

Petrol 800 Bhat a month.

Water and Electric about 1000 Bhat a month but I don't use a lot of Air Con.

Gym Membership 2000 a month but could be cheaper if I had paid for more than 3 months in 1 go.

Shopping 8000 a month( Breakfast + Lunch includes TUB of Protein)

Eating Out Every Night, (Basic but tasty food) 6000 - 7000 Bhat a month.

How much you going to spend on one good night a week, that's a hard one to answer but if you are a single guy in Phuket you are going to have to be very disciplined to only go out 1 night a week.

Every forum is the same, people always end up arguing.

Right, next question. spending around 20-25k a month on rent and then earning130k per month, how much would a single guy living a modest life, having one good night out a week and eating local food be able to live on / save ?

many thanks in advance

If goal is to save you could live on 70K included a financed car and still live good. 60K saving a month. But you have to get established. The start up always cost.