What is the easiest way for persons with Thai bank accounts to pay?

I have a business here in the United States whose focus is on consumers in Thailand. As such most visitors to the website will want to pay with a Thai bank card. I have been reading about Paypal, having the money deposited into your personal account(in Thailand) and payment gateways etc. What have others discovered is the easiest, most popular and most efficient way for a person in Thailand to pay for a good or service on a website?

online shopping is relatively new here so there arent many options. Paypal is probably your best bet. Often when Thais purchase things online, they transfer money directly to the sellers bank account (thai bank acct). Some websites have arrangements with local convenience stores such as 7-11 to allow the purchaser to pay for the goods there within a certain timeframe after making the purchase.

• Like 1

If online I prefer paying with a Thai credit card. I don't like using debit cards as the money goes from your account straight away, and can be a pain to get back if something goes wrong, eg I've had website's freeze and then on trying again find that both later go thru. With a credit card you can call and sort out before it hits the statement.

I have a moneybookers/ skrill but find them a pain to use and load up/ register compared to the ease of a credit card.

Cheers

Fletch :)

When I was getting ready to come to Thailand in 2009 everything I read about PayPal was bad. I understood that it was not trusted by the banks in this country. I otherwise would have considered using PayPal in selling some property in the U.S.A. over eBay.

Does anyone else have negative experience or knowledge about PayPal? IF my info. Is wrong I would like to know.

Most of my Thai friends to transfer money directly after purchase via ATM to the sellers bank account. Once done they take pictures of the receipt and sent it as proof.

Not everyone I'm Thailand has a credit card and the majority is not yet used to paypal, money bookers, etc. taking this I to account I guess the easiest way would be to allow transfer from bank account to bank account with the option to pay via credit card too. For my former business I had setup paypal as an option to pay via credit card. Expensive for me though as they take up to 5% of the selling price. But peace of mind for me, as I did not needed to worry about receiving the money.

When I was getting ready to come to Thailand in 2009 everything I read about PayPal was bad. I understood that it was not trusted by the banks in this country. I otherwise would have considered using PayPal in selling some property in the U.S.A. over eBay.

Does anyone else have negative experience or knowledge about PayPal? IF my info. Is wrong I would like to know.

Paypal are about the most incompetent people I have ever dealt with, I tried to set up an account, I had everything I needed, and all they did was mess me about. I got so fed up as just told them to stuff it. Avoid them if you can.

I haven't had any trouble with paypal here. I did have to call them a few times--I had their debit card so I could take money straight from my paypal account at ATMs (worth getting before you come). They would see charges in Thailand and think they were suspect. It was easy to get them to unfreeze the account, though, and I went back to the ATM in 5 minutes and got money out.

Now I have it linked to a Thai bank account through a paypal account registered in Thailand. The only thing is that it take 5-7 working days to transfer to the bank account, but I sort of have the timing down now so I know when I will get the payments.

Paypal are about the most incompetent people I have ever dealt with, I tried to set up an account, I had everything I needed, and all they did was mess me about. I got so fed up as just told them to stuff it. Avoid them if you can.

I have used Paypal for over a year now here in Thailand and it has been troublefree. I have no problems and neither does KBank.

I have used Paypal for over a year now here in Thailand and it has been troublefree. I have no problems and neither does KBank.

I did not even have the chance to use it, they messed me about so much. It does not matter what any company is, there will always be some satisfied customers and some not. I think sometimes it depends on what side of the bed people get out of, just like some Immigration officers.

I use PayPal for all my online purchases. Their resolution center has always been responsive and helpful for me.

Apologies guys, I meant to say I use PayPal for all my international online purchases. For Thailand it's a bank deposit, scan the deposit slip and emailed as proof. :)

Depends what sort of people you are proposing to sell to.

Sophisticated urban people - credit/debit cards and paypal will be fine and sufficient.

Less sophisticated people (let's not get into a red herring debate about class please!) - you will have to offer deposit over a bank counter in baht to your Thai bank account and also ATM-operated bank transfer.

• Like 1