seajae

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes

Our kids, all 300 of them love christmas and we put on a special day for them with presents, games. santa waiting for them in the morning at the gates (treating them with sweets) and they have ice-cream and help to put up decorations as well as dressing up in santa hats etc:!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE
  • Like 1

Though we are not into the commercial side of it, my wife (Thai-American) and I celebrated Christmas in the states so why spoil a good thing? The tree and wreath are up with decorations gathered over the years, and there's even a few lights over the bar.

Merry Christmas one and all (and I'm not religious).

Haven't made it over to Thailand for Christmas yet, but I don't think I'd be doing the usual drill with decorations and gifts unless there were some children round. Sort of faded out back home for lack of family I'd like to be with. For kids its great and I suppose it then would be for me and I'd apply myself that way.

Otherwise in LOS I'd kind of rise to the occasion with a special dinner out, I can well imagine some carvery at a British pub and a little knees up. Made our tradition German goose on occasion and liked it, but I suppose I wouldn't miss it.

Christmas puddings never caught on with me, and mind you I do like British cuisine and have actually survived with it for a year.

What I'd actually miss would be singing in a choir, don't know if there are any round in Pattaya.

Edited by Saradoc1972

Christmas as it is observed in the Western world is of no interest to me. I'm glad it is not emphasized here. However, I notice every year here there is more mention of it, more ads and hype. Goes along with all of these malls coming on line.

No offense to those who love it, and Merry Christmas to you.

yes to that local TESCOS IS TRYING VERY HARD TO westernize my local town with all there shiny stuff +tempting credit cards without any clear info about % rates if you mismanage your account very free lunch situation

If I was asked (and I have been) by a Thai person why Christmas was special to foreigners....I would say it is because it is CHRIST'S BIRTHDAY. I would further explain that the 25th of December is the accepted date of the birth of Christ (the son of God) on this earth by his followers... who call themselves "Christians"....like followers of the Buda ....call themselves ...Buddists".

If a foreigner asked a Thai person today why everybody was so happy..............would the answer be because we give presents to the Monks....and not mention the fact that today is the King's birthday, the reason for the happiness and present giving.

What a pathetic answer when asked such a question to say it is because children are happy on that day and adults enjoy looking at them being happy and we give presents without, .........explaining the meaning of Christmas and how it came about

Sure all those things with the kids are fantastic but it would have been more correct to have explained why it is done at this particular time of year and why it is a time of celebration and presents.

Of course many people these days do not have these beliefs but the above would have been the correct answer......those who do not believe in this are simply carrying on the tradition....but it wasn't a tradition 2000 years ago.

• Like 1

Actually my wife started the Christmas idea in our home after we got married. She thought it was important to me so it was important to her. wub.png

This is one of our Christmas dinners. I usually do a pork loin roast which goes over very well and also some wine which also goes over well. Ok, don't laugh about the wine, wasn't that bad. biggrin.png

11219885045_746445c0e0_z.jpg

11219930106_25ab04b513_z.jpg

Nice

Waiting for the rain to stop...then up goes the tree and decorations. Special guests arriving this year, so it will be good to be in the spirit of things, in good company. Hope it turns out like that for all............

As tywais said, his wife thought it was important, and so did mine, which we have done every year, except one....

• Like 1

Actually my wife started the Christmas idea in our home after we got married. She thought it was important to me so it was important to her. wub.png

This is one of our Christmas dinners. I usually do a pork loin roast which goes over very well and also some wine which also goes over well. Ok, don't laugh about the wine, wasn't that bad. biggrin.png

11219885045_746445c0e0_z.jpg

11219930106_25ab04b513_z.jpg

Wow! What a spread. Chips too! Just a thought but try some cider with the pork.