Using the wrong gear: Car falls off building in Nonthaburi

webfact

Car Falls Off Building

car.jpg

An old couple put their car in the wrong gear causing it crash through a safety barrier and fall 3 floors to the ground. The 2 occupants were lucky not to be killed.

NONTHABURI – [PDN]: at 15.00, Pol.Lt.Capt.Sanya Podaros, detective officer of Muangnonthaburi police station reported there was a car that had fallen from the third floor of Nontawech hospital, near Pongpet junction, Muang, Nontaburi, so he went with Por Tek Tueng foundation to check.

At the crime scene he found that on the third floor P3A of the car park the steel fence that is used to prevent cars and people from falling off the floor was all torn and damaged. He looked down and saw a black Honda Accord, Wor Kor 7711, on the ground floor, the car was all smashed and the roof was compressed, the driver and the passenger were stuck in the car, the hospital staff took them out and sent them to see the doctor.

Mr.Songsak Titaram, 78 years old had sustained minor injuries and a sprained neck, he said that he was the passenger, the driver was his wife, Mrs.Kannika Titaram, 79 years old, they had an appointment with a dentist, after they finished seeing the doctor his wife started the car and then put the car in reverse by mistake causing it shoot backwards crashing through the fence and fall to the ground. He was knocked unconscious and woke up in hospital. The doctor said he will have to stay in hospital for observation.

The police noted the evidence, and the damage of the car and the hospital, would be managed by the insurance company.

Source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/12/05/car-falls-off-building/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-12-06

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

trick question, what kind of "safety barrier" would be that weak that a car could drive thru it?

jeeeeezus, they must have a full blown chevy big block in that car to be able to tear down the safety fence

The barrier looks to be quite robust. Probably the 3" M8 bolts that held it in place were the root cause of the failure.

A Brio in gear with an idling engine could overcome those mounts.

Edited by Jerry Cornelius

the fences are near on useless. whether it's the materials of the fence or the fixings, none of them take much to let a vehicle through.

in a building i worked in Chatuchuk, a woman drove right through a concrete barrier and died when the car flipped, that was from the 5th floor. she landed on the roof. i can understand a 70 something year old getting confused but this poor girl was in her 30's and worked for a car company.

the concrete barrier there was built with the usual reinforcement and connected to the floor slab with the same re-bar - about 6mm or so. not much to resist a 1t + moving mass.

Lucky no one was walking underneath on the ground floor.

There might have been, they haven't looked under the car yet. In fact they only just spotted the car below the crime scene smile.png

Ha Ha, could be a Honda Brio--or a security whistle blower underneath.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"At the crime scene he found that on the third floor P3A of the car park the steel fence that is used to prevent cars and people from falling off the floor was all torn and damaged."

So, it's a crime not to know how to drive or to be impaired while driving. How come it is only considered a crime AFTER a crash? One, with common sense, would think that enforcing traffic laws and requiring adequate drivers' tests would go a long way to preventing "crime" and saving thousands of lives every year.

I hate to be a Thai Visa speculator detective but they were in a hospital and considering the guardrail and channel didn't stop them maybe the doctor had given one of them bad news and the driver decided to end it all. Sorry.

They had been to see a dentist not a doctor.

• Like 2

How can you actually let a 70 year age plus old couple, who are very prone to mental lapsis, drive by themselves, especially when the brain doesn't function so well any more at this age...

Clearly your brain doesn't function too well either. Just because a person becomes 70 years old plus doesn't necessarily makes them prone to mental lapses.

• Like 1

trick question, what kind of "safety barrier" would be that weak that a car could drive thru it?

jeeeeezus, they must have a full blown chevy big block in that car to be able to tear down the safety fence

the safety barriers look OK, but most probably Somchai screwed it with 2 tiny screws to the floor. Or even just glued it as that concrete is hard to drill.

Common practice.

How can you actually let a 70 year age plus old couple, who are very prone to mental lapsis, drive by themselves, especially when the brain doesn't function so well any more at this age...

My father is well over 70 and when the street is good he still drives way over 200 km/h (in Europe) and better than most of the 30 year old guys.....

Not everyone is the same.

I knew a couple that drove every year around in Europe with large caravan. from UK to Spain/Croatia/Greece at 90+ years always without accidents....

So some keep more than fit enough, while others might never in their live mental fit enough...

My friend is 94 and he has just given his licence up and gone into a facility with his 89 year old wife.

I hate to be a Thai Visa speculator detective but they were in a hospital and considering the guardrail and channel didn't stop them maybe the doctor had given one of them bad news and the driver decided to end it all. Sorry.

Actually,you'd make an excellent detective suspecting that they decided to end it all after a Dentist's bad news. Now it's just a matter of ignoring other facts that don't support the theory.

• Like 1

I am with MMARLOW on this.

Myself being 80++ year old. Have no difficulty passing a mandatory "Properly Supervised" annual driving test to retain my Unrestricted Australian Driving Licence. From my experience here I am doubtfull if many local 20/30 year old drivers would get a pass mark.

For those interested I did not pay any Baht nor AUD as is common here when applying for a driving licence.

• Like 1

I am with MMARLOW on this.

Myself being 80++ year old. Have no difficulty passing a mandatory "Properly Supervised" annual driving test to retain my Unrestricted Australian Driving Licence. From my experience here I am doubtfull if many local 20/30 year old drivers would get a pass mark.

For those interested I did not pay any Baht nor AUD as is common here when applying for a driving licence.

Do you mean you are with marlow, who pinched my post. #13 instead of agreeing or earlier reading. If I see a post that I was going to post the same I agree with them rather than do a same same postwai2.gif

• Like 1