Thailand as a Retirement Destination - Food for Thought.

CRUNCHER

With all the retiries here you wold think that Thailand would do well in the Annual Forbes table of places to retire. Well it comes in at number 9. The only other Asian country in the top 10 is Malaysia at number 3. Here is the link to the top 10. Retirement

Malaysia so far above Thailand is food for thought.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forbes has a bias towards North American readers ... thumbsup.gif

Notice most on the list are in the Americas.

I think that's true. The question isn't "best place for single men to retire and live more cheaply than in Europe or Canada or Australia while finding beautiful available Asian women."

I think Forbes via International Living is looking at it from a retired American married couple's standpoint. I read that there are one million retired Americans living in Mexico.

I can fly to Ecuador from America in 7 hours. The last time I flew to LOS it took closer to 30 hours with 2 plane changes and one 8 hour layover. Another American member here recently posted of plane problems somewhere en-route that I think he said delayed him for 2 more days.

America is already a cheap place to live in the rural areas, and in the South the weather is warm year around. There really isn't the need to move other than for adventure.

There are pretty 3rd world women in Mexico and Central/South America, and many of those countries have cheap brothels. The language is much easier to learn, and English is widely spoken.

America has the world's 3rd largest population - perhaps 4 - 5 times as large as the UK, but I seem to find more Brits in Los than Americans. Maybe that's a wrong impression I have? America has 15 times the population of Australia, but I seem to meet more Aussies than Americans in LOS. For Aussies, LOS is close and cheap.

I prefer Thailand to S. America and will take the long trip, but I have no desire to move there permanently.

• Like 1

America has the world's 3rd largest population - perhaps 4 - 5 times as large as the UK, but I seem to find more Brits in Los than Americans. Maybe that's a wrong impression I have? America has 15 times the population of Australia, but I seem to meet more Aussies than Americans in LOS. For Aussies, LOS is close and cheap.

Quite a lot of Americans claim to be Canadian when abroad.

• Like 1

It makes sense in some situations. Like if you don't want to be poisoned at Iranian restaurants for example.

• Like 1

I haven't retired in Thailand but am definitely considering it, and probably will. I am very attracted to Thailand and the Thai people, and plan to use it as a base to visit all sorts of interesting places, like India, Vietnam, Korea, Australia, Bali, and others.

I'm from Texas and I love Mexican people and Mexican food, but I'd NEVER, EVER consider living there, I know it too well. Never have been attracted to Latin America, probably because of Mexico.

I.......

I prefer Thailand to S. America and will take the long trip, but I have no desire to move there permanently.

You make some interesting points and think that you have the right impression as regards more Brits than Americans in LOS, it certainly seems that way to me. I`m British, part of the reason for me being here is due to climate, some not all Brits end up hating the UK climate, whereas as you say the climate in southern North America can be/is warm.

I had been looking at Florida as a place to live some years ago, better weather, property seemed good value compared to south England, prices generally lower etc.

I also wonder if for those still working holiday entitlement plays a factor, in the UK statutory paid holiday entitlement is 6 weeks per year, plus various bank/public holidays whereas if I understand correctly minimum holiday entitlement is lower in the US ?

So Brits have more chances to get away.

I`m curious as to why you prefer Thailand to S. America, other than Mexico never been but did do some reading on Ecuador, sounded quite good.

Thanks

smile.png

meh....if you are American you can tell most Canadians apart by their accent. Some definitely sound like Americans, but when they go "oot and aboot, eh?" you know they are from north of the border...again...most.....remember, Canadians are crafty like that! (Just a joke).

Seriously, though....you can tell usually and I would never pretend to be Canadian unless I were in a situation like Mumbai and the terrorists were checking people's passports to decide who to kill. I would cook up a nationality quick (I have a few passable ones to choose from) and say I had lost my passport. Barring that, I welcome all comers to have a go at me if they hate Americans that much.

I don't meet many Americans here in Thailand compared to places in the Western Hemisphere.

JT's right on this ... in relation to this article, Forbes has a bias towards North American readers.

To the OP ... a little investigative journalism please ... facepalm.gif

Actually ... it's not 'Forbes List', but compiled by a company called International Living

Planning to retire abroad? Ecuador is the top spot for North American retirees, according to International Living's newly-released Annual Global Retirement Index 2013.

This annual Index now in its 22nd year ranks the best international retirement destinations. To compile the ranking, International Living editors collated data from its team of experts on the ground in the most popular countries among U.S. and Canadian expat retirees.

Editors assessed factors ranging from the price of groceries and average temperature, to utility costs and the friendliness of locals.

The information was then used to score each of the top countries out of 100 in categories such as “Real Estate,” “Climate,” “Special Benefits for Retirees” and “Health Care.

This is the link to the Forbes Article

The Original Article, which was posted on December 14, 2012 can be viewed here the-worlds-top-retirement-havens-in-2013/ ... sadly, only the top 5 destinations can be viewed from that article.

Don't get me wrong ... it's a nice read.

Maybe someone who has the entire list can post the bit relevant to Thailand so we can see how the Kingdom is observed from their viewpoint.

• Like 1

THAT I don't believe. coffee1.gif

Of all the safe Countries,this article has not scratched the surface of safe Countries of Europe,many of them have a warm climate,and are cheaper to live in than Thailand.And are beauitiful countries in their own right.

Do your research,you may be pleasantly surprised.The Mediteranean countries can be amazing too!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 2

Of all the safe Countries,this article has not scratched the surface of safe Countries of Europe,many of them have a warm climate,and are cheaper to live in than Thailand.And are beauitiful countries in their own right.

Do your research,you may be pleasantly surprised.The Mediteranean countries can be amazing too!

Serious question here: Just which "safe Countries of Europe,many of them have a warm climate,and are cheaper to live in than Thailand.And are beauitiful countries in their own right" are you referring to.

And on a different subject entirely, to the person who earlier said something to the effect that many Americans say they're actually Canadian, or whatever. Hahahahahah! Those are actually Canadians acting like they're Americans saying they're Canadians. Please, get your facts straight!

• Like 2

I've spent over 5000 days in Thailand. Never bored. Not once. Happy, sad, sick and healthy but never bored. Sometimes it is advantageous to say you are a Canadian. Especially when drinking in a British pub and want to avoid the mandatory lecture about Americans.

I've spent over 5000 days in Thailand. Never bored. Not once. Happy, sad, sick and healthy but never bored. Sometimes it is advantageous to say you are a Canadian. Especially when drinking in a British pub and want to avoid the mandatory lecture about Americans.

Never let that bother you. I didn't know Brits were like that until I joined this forum. I was treated well as a tourist, and the Brits I know who live in America are nice people. Is it something that's in the beer in Thailand?

• Like 2

One thing that bothers a lot of people about Americans is thinking their poop don't stink. As a long time expat sometimes it is just better to have a quiet beer say you're a Canadian and not have to fight the anti American thing.

Anyone who has traveled realizes there are bests in all countries and there are places that are better than America and worse than America. The only people who are myopic about America or any country are people who have never traveled or lived in another country or drank too much beer.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

My first year of Retirement I lived in Mexico, when Mexico allowed American's to purchase land and the Fishing Village I lived in Puerto Penasco, Sonora (in the free zone, did not need a passport) American businessman brought up every available piece of property, to make a tourist mecca on the sea for landlocked Arizona and other South Western states. That resulted in driving the cost of living out of the reach of the locals and no longer cheap living  for me.

I came to Thailand with a friend for a months vacation, and after returning  I was going to move to Costa Rica, well I never left Thailand, as I liked what I found here, great people, cheap living, good food and a place to live out my life.

Twas the best decision I ever made!

Cheers:

And based on this example one can understand why Thailand doesn't want farangs owning land

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

One thing that bothers a lot of people about Americans is thinking their poop don't stink. As a long time expat sometimes it is just better to have a quiet beer say you're a Canadian and not have to fight the anti American thing.

Anyone who has traveled realizes there are bests in all countries and there are places that are better than America and worse than America. The only people who are myopic about America or any country are people who have never traveled or lived in another country or drank too much beer.

I agree, but I have seen rude people from all countries. This forum seems to be a collector for them, so I'm back to thinking there must be something in the beer in Thailand. My scientific study leaves that as the only variable.

Here's the deal. I don't find the average American or Brit to be rude or to think his poop doesn't stink when he's in his own country going about his daily life. But give either one some Thai beer, and...

See? tongue.png

• Like 1

That's a load of BS, a myth left over from the early days of the Iraq War.

That's a load of BS, a myth left over from the early days of the Iraq War.

No it is not a myth at all. Americans have been doing that for many decades for various reasons. When I backpacked around Europe in the 1970's half the people with maple leaf flags on their backpacks were Americans ... Anti-Americanism is a fashion trend that keeps on giving. It ebbs and flows of course. I'd say its rare now because so many people are wise to it ... so it doesn't fool people.

Never done the maple flag thing myself but have done the Canuck thing a few times around openly anti-American people or when I think they might be ... especially if they're serving me food.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I think that's true. The question isn't "best place for single men to retire and live more cheaply than in Europe or Canada or Australia while finding beautiful available Asian women."

I think Forbes via International Living is looking at it from a retired American married couple's standpoint. I read that there are one million retired Americans living in Mexico.

I can fly to Ecuador from America in 7 hours. The last time I flew to LOS it took closer to 30 hours with 2 plane changes and one 8 hour layover. Another American member here recently posted of plane problems somewhere en-route that I think

he said delayed him for 2 more days.

America is already a cheap place to live in the rural areas, and in the South the weather is warm year around. There really isn't the need to move other than for adventure.

There are pretty 3rd world women in Mexico and Central/South America, and many of those countries have cheap brothels. The language is much easier to learn, and English is widely spoken.

I can fly to Ecuador from America in 7 hours.

cheesy.gif

Yeah and I can fly from Italy to Europe in 2 hours.