About earthing..yet again.

jack2964

As far as I'm aware (and I've not seen it in any form of standard other than the PEA "Groundwire" document) all new domestic installations must have:-

1. A front end 30mA RCD/RCBO
  2. All grounded outlets
  3. Grounds to Class-1 fixed appliances
  4. A 2.4m ground rod
  5. MEN connected in line with the US NEC system

OR

1. A suitable amount of tea money sad.png

The above will get you on a permanent supply (4 Baht / unit) after that nobody gives a flying fart sad.png

The "flying fart" bit is spot on.

I built my house in the sticks 15 years ago I went to PEA and they installed a 15/45 meter on the last pole on the line which just happened to be at the corner of my property. They didn't coonect the power to the meter because I didn't have anything beyond the meter. I set another pole ,ran wire to the pole, coiled enough to extend to the house and installed a "construction box" on the pole consisting of a knife switch, a 60 amp breaker. a short earth rod, a box with 2 three pin sockets and a "rain Cover" made from a cut out 5 liter plastic oil container. I contacted PEA to connect the electric but after three days I climbed the bamboo ladder and connected it myself. That was it. When the house was finsihed, I did all of the elecric installation myself, I conneceted the CU and there was never an inspection. Someone came and "sealed" the meter but I cut it off since we still weren't done welding and it was convenient to hook the unit there rather than in the CU unit. Another seal appeared later on.

I've made several modifications/additions to the electrics over the years and have disconnected the line at the meter having to remove the seal, a new one magically appears the next time the meter is read.

The actual electric charge was/is on a sliding scale depending on how much you use. I am currently paying 3.68 baht/KWH plus 0.54 baht/KWH fuel surcharge and am using around 700 KWH/month.

No tea money was paid. The initial deposit for the 15/45 meter was around 4600 baht plus free lunch at the local noodle place and and invite to our house warming party!