Thai Military chiefs to listen but not talk at reform forum

webfact

Top brass to listen but not talk at forum
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Military chiefs have agreed to attend a forum today organised by the Thai Armed Forces to discuss political reform, but they will not share any ideas or raise any questions at the event, a senior military commander said yesterday.

The forum is being held at the main auditorium of the Armed Forces Directorate of Joint Civil Affairs at the Government Complex north of Bangkok, director-general Lt-General Harit Pumhiran said after setting up the venue.

It will be broadcast live on the military-run Channel 5 television station.

Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary-general of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) protest group, had requested a discussion with armed forces leaders about political reform.

But the military has extended invitations to several key agencies, university deans, trade and business organisations and members of the Thai and foreign media to attend.

Harit did not mention any rules governing the forum, but called on the dialogue to be held in a reasonable and polite manner.

Defence Ministry permanent secretary General Nipat Thonglek said it would be "improper" for the military leaders to meet with Suthep only. "This is because the military should not be involved with politics," he said.

A forum involving different groups of people should be able to help reduce the political temperature, he added.

The pro-government red-shirt movement was reportedly invited to attend, but as of press time had not made an official statement on whether it would take part.

Red-shirt core leader Thida Thavornset said earlier that she had not received a written invitation, but would definitely not join the Suthep-led reform.

A new group of academics - the Assembly for the Protection of Democracy - will not send any representative to attend the military-hosted forum because they don't think it's the military's duty to do this, according to Chulalongkorn University political-science lecturer Puangthong Pawakaphan, who is part of the group.

She said the group's stance was that the political reform process should not result in postponement of the election, which is currently due to take place on February 2.

Suthep's PDRC said yesterday it would send some 20 representatives to take part in today's forum.

Three key figures from the PDRC - Sathit Wongnongtaey, Suriyasai Katasila and Akanat Promphan - will also attend a separate forum to be held by the Prime Minister's Office tomorrow at Queen Sirikit convention centre.

However, national police chief Gen Adul Sangsingkaew will not attend any forum Suthep attends, as he would have to arrest him, as the latter is wanted on an insurrection charge, Police Maj-General Piya Uthayo, spokesman for the government's Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order, said yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-14

It truly is ´Only In Thailand´ where a maniac such as Dear Leader, Suthep, Secretary General of the People is free to run amok. Not only is he wanted for murder and insurrection, but he is also the single biggest threat to the whole nation if given free reign.

Can someone in power with only a tiny little bit of common sense please put an end to this madman, and put him behind bars and of the streets, before it´s too late!?

One can also only hope that the generals will look through his crazy claims to set up his ´People´s Counsil´.

Edited by DonThaiToMe
  • Like 1

However, national police chief Gen Adul Sangsingkaew will not attend any forum Suthep attends, as he would have to arrest him, as the latter is wanted on an insurrection charge
"He would have to".

Oh no!

Arresting him now would create civil unrest and probably lead to bloodshed and worse. As much I hate to say this, now might not be a good time to get him. As the police chief Gen Adul Sangsingkaew might be out of a job after the (self censorship here).

From the 1927 novel The Treasure of the Sierra Madre:
"All right," Curtin shouted back to the Federalis. "If you are the police, where are your badges? Let's see them."
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and chinga tu madre!"
Thailand has (more self censorship here.)
  • Like 1

With the right sense of humour all this is incredibly hilarious. Monty Python times revisited. "Yes, yes, I'm the chief of police." "No way that I am going there." "There's a criminal." "Wouldn't want to arrest that criminal." "It's weekend." "Carry on, everyone."

• Like 2

However, national police chief Gen Adul Sangsingkaew will not attend any forum Suthep attends, as he would have to arrest him, as the latter is wanted on an insurrection charge
"He would have to".

Oh no!

Arresting him now would create civil unrest and probably lead to bloodshed and worse. As much I hate to say this, now might not be a good time to get him. As the police chief Gen Adul Sangsingkaew might be out of a job after the (self censorship here).

From the 1927 novel The Treasure of the Sierra Madre:
"All right," Curtin shouted back to the Federalis. "If you are the police, where are your badges? Let's see them."
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and chinga tu madre!"
Thailand has (more self censorship here.)

Great movie. If you can't buy your way out, you shoot your way out.

• Like 1

Suthep has been given his sheep the idea that this was suppose to be a close room discussion to get the army of side him (maybe by a coup).

It turn out that the army merely provide him a stage and broadcast live, something Suthep is currently enjoying twice a day already.

Iasked my Thai acquaintences one question: "What do you think of Suthep". Many BKK Thais are saying Suthep is being unreasonable. I only talked to eleven people, so it is a very small sample, but I was surprised they all said the same thing. In different ways they stated (paraphrased) "It was good at the beginning. Then it went weird and we do not understand his behavior."

These people do not know each other. They run the gamut from education, media, small business and medium business, banking, civil service and more. They all agreed that TS needs to stop trying to make the entire Thai government a drone he controls, and they also no longer understand or trust Suthep. He is implying things that worry them. He has not fielded one single concrete idea to achieve the goals he keeps repeating. Contarary to popular belief, Thai people are not stupid, they are just v e r y different in their thought processses than Westerners.

Resume rants. End report.wai2.gif

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 1

"They won't talk or contribute ideas," but it will be broadcast on the "military-run" channel 5.

Can you imagine Thais in a room with microphones and they don't talk ?

biggrin.png

Nobody else will be able to get a word in - Suthep with do the slow rant for the whole session.

Iasked my Thai acquaintences one question: "What do you think of Suthep". Many BKK Thais are saying Suthep is being unreasonable. I only talked to eleven people, so it is a very small sample, but I was surprised they all said the same thing. In different ways they stated (paraphrased) "It was good at the beginning. Then it went weird and we do not understand his behavior."

These people do not know each other. They run the gamut from education, media, small business and medium business, banking, civil service and more. They all agreed that TS needs to stop trying to make the entire Thai government a drone he controls, and they also no longer understand or trust Suthep. He is implying things that worry them. He has not fielded one single concrete idea to achieve the goals he keeps repeating. Contarary to popular belief, Thai people are not stupid, they are just v e r y different in their thought processses than Westerners.

Resume rants. End report.wai2.gif

I agree 100%. While Suthep has no moral/ethical high ground focusing on the failed policy's of rice pledging, Thaksin's grip/influnnce,etc..

on the government was good even needed. However he crossed the line quite some time time back when he started promoting

an end to democracy and changing to a fascist state, cancelling elections and installing a government run by himself and a council of advisers.

Both sides should focus on getting rid of corruption. However it is very hard to stop your own source of wealth and power and will take time.