Good tv series

beechbum

I'm currently part way through S3 of Berlin Station. Pretty good so far. My only bugbear was the SAS officer in E4. Fat, incorrect beret and it looks like the wardrobe dept's mum had made the cap badge! Interesting to see the number of black/latin CIA operators in Germany and Estonia- they do tend to stand out a bit! 

Brit series Traitors seems to be getting good reviews as well.

• Like 2

Just watched the pilot of "The Enemy Within"  (See post 1318).

Recommended if you like intrigue, spies and CIA/FBI working against them.

An interesting statistic given in the beginning is that there are an estimated 100,000 spies in the US.

5 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Thanks for the recommendation, enjoying season 1.  Where did you find s2 with subs?

Watched it without sub. I'm a Tiroler so no problem.

Improved my arabic litte bit too while watching it. Yalla yalla.

• Like 1

Enjoying Baptiste but got it wrong. I normally like to get a whole series downloaded then watch it. I got to a couple of minutes of the end of Part 3 last night and thought there's no way they can finish the plot in the time left. Turns out there's another 3 parts- Doh.

Mighty rivers is worth a look even for non-fishy people. 

3 hours ago, Flying Clog said:

After Life with Gervais is excellent. Dark as hell, but hilarious!

Available on Netflix

Yeah . Just got through it all without killing myself (laughing).

Pity that it's not of a style that could include more seasons. 

What will Gayvais's next project be I wonder?

Yeah . Just got through it all without killing myself (laughing).
Pity that it's not of a style that could include more seasons. 
What will Gayvais's next project be I wonder?

Saw an interview yesterday and he said that he’s got a new tour shortly but may consider a second season if it’s well received (season1).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost through watching "The Vietnam War" as recommended by a couple of other folks here and I have found it extremely informative and it really is a brilliant series, laying out the truth not only about the war, but the American politics behind it, the lying of Nixon and the incompetence of just about the whole exercise.

That prompted me to watch "Apocalypse Now (Redux)" again (one of my favourite movies) and after watching the Vietnam series, so much of what was in "Apocalypse Now" mirrors the general state of events in that war – – incompetence, smallmindedness, stupidity and the futility of it all, notwithstanding the fact that many of the soldiers were hardly combat ready.

That in no way reflects on what I feel about the Vietnam veterans because I have a huge amount of respect for them, being thrown into a war which they shouldn't really have been in, with incompetent leaders and commanders and the fact that they returned means they should be treated with a huge amount of dignity and respect, which is/was not always the case by all accounts.

Anyway can highly recommend "The Vietnam War" to anyone who has not seen it yet.

• Like 2

I downloaded and watched a good copy of Kursk last night. I thought they did a good job with it. It did seem a bit 'Deerhunter' at the start though.

A friend of mine is one of the 3 divers that went down to the wreck. I have always held him in high esteem but that went up a level after reading A Time to Die- the Untold Story of the Kursk Disaster by Robert Moore. It must have been terrible when they opened the hatch.

Back to The Widow today.

• Like 2

Not a tv show, but the recent killing in New York of a Gambino mob boss, reminded me of the chilling 2012 film "The Iceman".

It was the story of the notorious mafia hit man, Richard Kuklinski, who is thought to have murdered over 100 people. 

I must watch it again, apparently.

• Like 1

I like Inside the Factory from the BBC. The presenters leave a lot to be desired (he's a cockney wnker and she has a habit of gurning (over the top facial expressions) into the camera to the point I end up imitating her every time she does it) but the production of food and other items on an industrial scale is fascinating. Post Xmas episodes include potato waffles (!) beer and frozen pizzas.  

As for Triple Frontier just don't. I should have realised as soon as I saw Charlie  (SOA) Hunnan in the cast. It's not too bad until about half way through and then just descends into crap.  It reminded me of Three Kings (which i actually enjoyed) at the beginning but just descended into the realms of macho military fantasy.

• Like 1

Just watched a Netflix film, "The Dirt."

It's based on the book written by members of the band Motley Crue and is reputed to be closer to the reality of rock star life than Bohemian Rhapsody.

The sex and drugs scenes are explicit, and some depictions of their extreme behavior, and other rock stars of the time,  need to be seen to be believed.

Not for everyone, but I liked it. 

• Like 1