Good tv series

beechbum

• 2 weeks later...

I was waiting for a decent copy of 12 Strong to appear on the net- I wish I hadn't bothered. With it being a Bruckheimer production it was Miami Vice goes to Afghanistan. Truly dreadful and I nearly turned it off two times. Burst out laughing at some of the battle scenes and had to fast forward after the 'did we get em buddy' comment and the syrupy ending. 

It skipped probably the most important part of their time there which was the prison siege, loss of Johnny Spann and the SBS/SF operation to retake the prison, along with the capture of the 'American Taliban'.

I see it is in the cinema at the moment. Save your money and read The Horse Soldiers by Doug Stanton, which it is based on. 

Last night I watched the first two of what I believe will be a 4 part series, "Trust" based on the real events surrounding the kidnapping in the '70's of Paul Getty III.   An impressive cast, with Donald Sutherland playing the patriarch, and Hillary his Grandson's mother.   Decent length episodes (1 hours plus), directed by Danny Boyle:

Edited by pagallim

Trust looks like a 10 part series ......

Looks good as well.

Trust Episodes Guide and Summaries

close_btn.png
Episode Air Date Episode Name
1 Mar 25, 2018 The House of Getty
2 Apr 01, 2018 Lone Star
3 Apr 08, 2018 La Dolce Vita
4 Apr 15, 2018 That's All Folks
5 Apr 22, 2018 Silenzio
6 Apr 29, 2018 John, Chapter 11
7 May 06, 2018 Episode 7
8 May 13, 2018 Episode 8
9 May 20, 2018 Episode 9
10 May 27, 2018 Episode 10

Steven Bochco, creator of Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue, died this week.  Although not all of his TV shows were hits, HSB was groundbreaking on so many fronts that it changed the face (and raised the bar) of almost every other notable drama series to follow including ER, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad to name but a few.  A decent obituary here.

Due mainly to it's novel (and to many, jarring) hand held camerawork and crowded set style, Hill Street Blues was often a love it or hate it proposition - I'm going to review the first season and see if my Thai family goes for it.  :smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

I'll always remember the Hill street blues cannibal episode. Good shows make people to think of ideas which are not commonly thought. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0601644/

"Hunter is found, having survived 11 days in a collapsed basement."

Belker was always my favorite character, followed closely by Howard. A ground-breaking show that set the bar for future programs. I loved it.

Edited by Psimbo

Belker was always my favorite character, followed closely by Howard. A ground-breaking show that set the bar for future programs. I loved it.

Yes Belker was my favourite too.
He always seemed to get the dirty jobs !, but a great undercover cop and a very likeable character .
  • Like 1

A gentle series- The Durrells. Based on conservationist Gerald Durrell's time as a youth in Corfu prior to WW2. Part way through Season 2 and Season 3 is on air at present. 

I hadn't worked out why The Looming Tower ended at the USS Cole attack then realised I had forgotten about the remaininging episodes. Very well done and the CIA comes out very poorly so far (very close to the truth as well). A shame these urination competitions exist between intelligence services to the detriment of innocent lives. 

Gotham is back on- I do wish US networks wouldn't split series.

I also see there has been another series of Death in Paradise, featuring Brit 'C List' actors. The current French copper is fairly good looking but not a patch on Sara Martins who I would chain to the bed for a month!

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1

there is some great stuff on netflix - international series.

too many to name but usually a refreshing change from the usual american stuff (not to say that there isnt some quality there too though)

For those who like satire and current events the latest HIGNFY has started (s55!). I like to wait until mid week the following week for the extended version.

This week's host was Jeremy Paxman and it supposed to be quite funny.

On 3/21/2018 at 12:41 PM, Psimbo said:

I've been binge watching Rake and just finished Season 4. It's truly excellent in my opinion, very well written, and for all Cleaver's faults you can't help but like him. There's normally at least one coffee spitter moment in each episode and Cal McGregor is the consummate corrupt politician.  Cleaver is loosely based on Sydney Barrister Charles Waterstreet,

Season 5 is currently in production and due for release some time this year. 

Agree wholeheartedly Psimbo but have only been able to access Season 1. How can I access the other seasons?

2 hours ago, vincent13 said:

Agree wholeheartedly Psimbo but have only been able to access Season 1. How can I access the other seasons?

Message sent in case the info breaks forum rules.

Thoroughly engrossed with Bosch at the moment so Do Not Disturb!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally getting to the end of Gotham- last episode is next week.

I see S2 of Westworld started a couple of weeks back. not normally a fan of Sci-Fi but Thandi Newton does it for me. 

I'm a fan of Idris Elba (no he doesn't do it for me). I wondered what he had been up to recently  and have noticed there a 6 parter on the net called Guerrilla "A love story set against the backdrop of one of the most politically explosive times in UK history. A politically active couple (played by Freida Pinto and Babou Ceesay) have their relationship and values tested, when they liberate a political prisoner and form a radical underground cell in 1970s London." I may give it a try.

He was also in Molly's Game and has an upcoming film called Yardie as Director.

Edited by Psimbo

Finally getting to the end of Gotham- last episode is next week.

I see S2 of Westworld started a couple of weeks back. not normally a fan of Sci-Fi but Thandi Newton does it for me. 

I'm a fan of Idris Elba (no he doesn't do it for me). I wondered what he had been up to recently  and have noticed there a 6 parter on the net called Guerrilla "A love story set against the backdrop of one of the most politically explosive times in UK history. A politically active couple (played by Freida Pinto and Babou Ceesay) have their relationship and values tested, when they liberate a political prisoner and form a radical underground cell in 1970s London." I may give it a try.

He was also in Molly's Game and has an upcoming film called Yardie as Director.

Idris is also in a comedy series called “In the long run “ about a family from Sierra Leone living in London in the mid 80’s.
Season 1 has just finished, I’ve downloaded them but not watched any yet, 7.5 on iMDB so is probably worthy of a look see !!
  • Like 2

Idris is also in a comedy series called “In the long run “ about a family from Sierra Leone living in London in the mid 80’s.
Season 1 has just finished, I’ve downloaded them but not watched any yet, 7.5 on iMDB so is probably worthy of a look see !!

It’s not laugh a minute stuff but a pleasant watch if you remember the 1980’s London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got round to giving Mad Dogs (US) another go, followed by the UK version. Strangely for me I actually preferred the US version on this occasion, normall I find it doesn't cross the Atlantic that well). The UK one got a bit silly at times but both were enjoyable. I would quite happily have throat-punched Rick in the UK series-a typical cockney <deleted> (he seems to be typecast!). UK one had a far blacker ending but that seems to be the way. Both enjoyable in their own right though.

Cracked 2 episodes of Kiling eve last night- i get the feeling it is going to be a late night tonite.

Will wait for all the Billions S3 and WW S2 to show before binge watching them.

On 5/7/2018 at 7:15 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

It's not like Desmond's is it? ? I think I should watch it anyway.

Talking of series set in London, I've watched the both series of Vexed on Netflix this week, a detective comedy/drama set in and around Richmond. Very easy viewing with quite a few funny moments. They were made in 2010 and 2012 but I'd never heard of it previously. Safe is next on the list.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Just binge watched "Safe"  - 2018.   8 episodes.

British crime , mystery, drama.  Starring Michael C Hall (Dexter)

Cliffhanger at the end of each episode. Everyone had a secret/seemed guilty. Impossible to pick the murderer before the end.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7902072/videoplayer/vi226015257?ref_=vi_nxt_ap

Better link:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7902072/videoplayer/vi3261904921?ref_=tt_ov_vi

• Like 1