Cost of living in Phuket higher than in Bangkok?

JJ64

Hi there,

I'm currently living in Bangkok where I could live with 30 000 THB a month. My rent was about 8 000THB a month.
I'm fresh graduate and I might get a job in Pukhet paid between 35 000 and 40 000 THB. But i have never been in Pukhet and i'm scared the cost of living is higher than in Bangkok since it's very touristic!
Can someone tell me about this? Is life more expansive in Pukhet?

Best

Your 30k in Bkk will go about the same way as 40k in Phuket I would guess. Taking an average mix of bills and entertainment costs.

Agreed, its about 30% across the board more expensive than BKK. That said lets not turn this into a thread about how you can save money if you recycle tea bags & fit in with the locals.......

Remember Phuket is a province not a city.

You don't have to live in the more costly tourist centres, unless that is what you want.

And, without suggesting you recycle tea bags, you can live fairly cheaply as an expat if you wish to.

However, many things, particularly public transport, are more expensive than in Bangkok.

• Like 1

Phuket and Samui are both slightly more expensive than Bangkok

Probably 95% of items used at both destinations have to be transported by road from Bangkok

Samui is more expensive than Phuket because everything goes by ferry as well

If you do not want to live the tourist lifestyle you dont have to spend a lot to have a good life here

My wife and I love going to bangkok for shopping because its cheaper there. It all depends on what you expect. 30,000thb will go further in bangkok though. You can rent a house for 8-12,000thb/mo but then you will also have to figure out transport and food as you need a car or bike as compared to bangkok so factor in those monthly costs including gas. I live in Thalang Phuket and pay 30,000thb on living expenses but thats before going out and doing anything fun & alcohol.

If it cost double the amount I would pay it to live in Phuket over Bangkok. I wouldn't live in Bangkok if you paid me a million baht a month.

Because you have not any idea about BKK life.

Used to I live in PKT 2 yrs than in BKK 3 yrs.

BKK is much better except if you are a beach boy.

• Like 1

JJ 64

this depends on where you want to stay in PKT. If you want to stay in Patong your money is not enough, but if you live in Chalong, Rawai, Kamala, etc. (many nice and good place) your new income gives you same life level like your BKK life before.

Every food are more expensive in PKT, but I have found many places which runs same food prices like BKK.

I guess you don't miss too much to use PKT tuk-tuk or taxi, they are da__mn shameless expensive.

The Tesco, BigC, 7Eleven or Family Markt prices are same everywhere.

that's all.

if you need advise about PKT send demand in private.

Whether it is more expensive or not depends on your expenditure pattern.

Suppose that you stay in Cherngtalay.

For the 8,000 baht you can rent a decent townhome in some Thai development.

If you eat Thai food, considering that you are a young man, you should spend around 400 baht per day. You can have a decent breakfast for 30 baht, khao tom for around the same price. Roughly speaking 50 Baht. Tom yam goong, lap moo or something along that line where you order rice and a dish on separate plates is 120-150 baht. If you cook, you can save.

Mobile, 3G, gasoline - 5,000-8000 baht.

Total amount for 'basic needs': 8000+400*30+5000=25,000.

Which leaves you with 10,000 if your salary is 35,000.

The real difference is what you will do with this 10,000 Baht left in your pocket and where the value for money is higher, based on your interests. Bangkok has a greater variety. More bookshops, cinemas, different sorts of interest clubs, educational institutions, training courses and so on. Phuket is comparatively small. In my opinion, with this salary it is better to be in Bangkok.

JJ 64

this depends on where you want to stay in PKT. If you want to stay in Patong your money is not enough, but if you live in Chalong, Rawai, Kamala, etc. (many nice and good place) your new income gives you same life level like your BKK life before.

Every food are more expensive in PKT, but I have found many places which runs same food prices like BKK.

I guess you don't miss too much to use PKT tuk-tuk or taxi, they are da__mn shameless expensive.

The Tesco, BigC, 7Eleven or Family Markt prices are same everywhere.

that's all.

if you need advise about PKT send demand in private.

Thank you Loles and thank you all for you feedback!

If you eat Thai food, considering that you are a young man, you should spend around 400 baht per day. You can have a decent breakfast for 30 baht, khao tom for around the same price. Roughly speaking 50 Baht. Tom yam goong, lap moo or something along that line where you order rice and a dish on separate plates is 120-150 baht. If you cook, you can save.

The real difference is what you will do with this 10,000 Baht left in your pocket and where the value for money is higher, based on your interests. Bangkok has a greater variety. More bookshops, cinemas, different sorts of interest clubs, educational institutions, training courses and so on. Phuket is comparatively small. In my opinion, with this salary it is better to be in Bangkok.

Thank you for the details it's exactely what i was looking for :) I agree that Bangkok is nice place to live in since you can meet very interesting and nice people from all over the world. For me i spend most of my time playing basket ball so that's pretty cheap :) but i guess there is no league like in Bangkok and i worry that it's more difficult to meet young expats like in Bangkok!

If it cost double the amount I would pay it to live in Phuket over Bangkok. I wouldn't live in Bangkok if you paid me a million baht a month.

Because you have not any idea about BKK life.

Used to I live in PKT 2 yrs than in BKK 3 yrs.

BKK is much better except if you are a beach boy.

Or if you are into scuba diving and don't like breathing polluted air everyday. Phuket is a lot healthier enough said.

Phuket and Samui are both slightly more expensive than Bangkok

Probably 95% of items used at both destinations have to be transported by road from Bangkok

Samui is more expensive than Phuket because everything goes by ferry as well

If you do not want to live the tourist lifestyle you dont have to spend a lot to have a good life here

If transport was the reason why costs were higher,why arn't goods more expensive in Issan.Tourism is the reason for higher costs.

• Like 1

Thank you for the details it's exactely what i was looking for smile.png I agree that Bangkok is nice place to live in since you can meet very interesting and nice people from all over the world. For me i spend most of my time playing basket ball so that's pretty cheap smile.png but i guess there is no league like in Bangkok and i worry that it's more difficult to meet young expats like in Bangkok!

The last sentence is definitely true. It is difficult to meet young professionals here as opposed to 'catch the wave generation' (I am 23 myself). Bangkok has more things to trigger you mentally. Unless you do like surfing, sea, tranquil life style, Thai capitol is definitely a superior choice.

Thank you for the details it's exactely what i was looking for smile.png I agree that Bangkok is nice place to live in since you can meet very interesting and nice people from all over the world. For me i spend most of my time playing basket ball so that's pretty cheap smile.png but i guess there is no league like in Bangkok and i worry that it's more difficult to meet young expats like in Bangkok!

The last sentence is definitely true. It is difficult to meet young professionals here as opposed to 'catch the wave generation' (I am 23 myself). Bangkok has more things to trigger you mentally. Unless you do like surfing, sea, tranquil life style, Thai capitol is definitely a superior choice.

Yes spending 3 to 4 hours in traffic per day in Bkk really mentally stimulates me
  • Like 1

Yes spending 3 to 4 hours in traffic per day in Bkk really mentally stimulates me

You mean that the 3 to 4 hours in traffic per day in Phuket doesn't?