Is it buzzing in phuket

allencostello

Yes. Phuket is now closed.

Oh thanks, keep it that way for 12months and DSI can head back to Bangkok, underpass cities not needed and the beach road in Patong would be a great walk path and Patong could be reformed to Thailands "Central Park"

Then start over again in January 2015 and everyone who want to come and live here need to qualify on the same basis as Thais have to qualify if immigrate or want a holiday to USA / Europe.

Happy New Phuket 2015.

• Like 1

Jees there is some bitter people in this forum

For the OP. Phuket is humming at the moment. The tourists are smiling. The beaches are being set up for the huge parties. It should be great fun. I'm excited

Edited by IrishIvan
  • Like 1

I don't know about 'buzzing' - on the roads, a lot of idling is the term I'd use. But yes, it's busy - a tourist's haven (and an expat's nightmare). I'm sure you'll have a great time... thumbsup.gif

Since a lot of the expats are depending on tourism I don't think most expats will agree it is a nightmare.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't know about 'buzzing' - on the roads, a lot of idling is the term I'd use. But yes, it's busy - a tourist's haven (and an expat's nightmare). I'm sure you'll have a great time... thumbsup.gif

Since a lot of the expats are depending on tourism I don't think most expats will agree it is a nightmare.

Plus without the tourism, the expats wouldn't enjoy the shopping, dining and nightlife/entertainment options they have now.

I think the majority of expats are living on Phuket for a peaceful, comfortable and easy lifestyle, in their retirement.

For many, their money is invested in their home country, or they receive a benefit (pension) from their home country, which they spend here. So, no need to work.

Phuket is certainly losing it's "peaceful" side, with all the construction, corruption, crime, traffic etc etc.

For those expats working here, sure, a busy high season would make them happy, as they can feel more secure in their job, and possiblly make more money, but as Ping says, Phuket will be a nightmare, if not now, in the future, for those that moved here for a quiet, easy, peaceful and safe retirement.

• Like 1

Plus without the tourism, the expats wouldn't enjoy the shopping, dining and nightlife/entertainment options they have now.

True, and this is why it will be interesting what effect the new demographics of tourists will have on the shopping, dining, nightlife etc here.

The propaganda machine say "tourism is up, year on year" thats people coming through phuket airport, a million a month, i think was reported, but more Thai's then ever now fly, so the real figure is nowhere near the tourism authorities figures. the troubles in Bangkok have to have a knock on effect on people coming and if forecast what is going to happen within the next few weeks, tourism will take a nose dive. give them time to get the roads sorted thencoffee1.gif

The propaganda machine say "tourism is up, year on year" thats people coming through phuket airport, a million a month, i think was reported, but more Thai's then ever now fly, so the real figure is nowhere near the tourism authorities figures. the troubles in Bangkok have to have a knock on effect on people coming and if forecast what is going to happen within the next few weeks, tourism will take a nose dive. give them time to get the roads sorted thencoffee1.gif

"tourism is up, year on year" - don't forget, these figures also inclued the thousands of visa runners, of which I am one of them, "entering" Thailand/Phuket, 4 times a year (every 3 months)

As for "the troubles in Bangkok" I actually think it will esculate after the election, when he wins, again.

• Like 1

"tourism is up, year on year" - don't forget, these figures also inclued the thousands of visa runners, of which I am one of them, "entering" Thailand/Phuket, 4 times a year (every 3 months)

As for "the troubles in Bangkok" I actually think it will esculate after the election, when he wins, again.

Could not agree more - new election same result........ blood shed

Could not agree more - new election same result........ blood shed

The way I see it is this: Thailand needs to appear like a functioning democracy, on the world stage, but in fact, he who pays the most, gets elected.

Whilst in the west, he who promises tax cuts, or better funding etc etc is elected, in Thailand, it's straight out cash in the hand and an Issan BBQ, with whiskey, for a party afterwards. Both are hardly democratic, but one more so than the other.

A certain section of the Thai population is not happy their side of politics can not compete as well as the other side in vote buying, and they are unhappy because they haven't won an election for many years.

Basically, they feel like they do not have a say in the Governing of their country, which is true, but it's the corrupt system that they presided over, and enjoyed the benefits of when they were in power, that the other side is now exploiting to a better advantage.

It's a real mess here, with neither side of politics interested in good Governance of the country and its citizens.

It's not the Thai Army's job to Govern, so a military coup is not a long term solution. If the tanks rolled into Bangkok, again, the election would have the same result as before, for the reasons I have metioned.

So, I agree with you - there will be further bloodshed, and for many years to come.

• Like 1

True, and this is why it will be interesting what effect the new demographics of tourists will have on the shopping, dining, nightlife etc here.

Shopping at 7/11 will be the highlight of the holiday. For dining Mama Mega noodles restaurant will open where Tesco bypass is now and the nightlife will be paid for adult television in your hotel room.