URGENT -- F1 champion Michael Schumacher in coma after ski accident, hospital says

News_Editor

GRENOBLE, FRANCE (BNO NEWS) -- Retired German racing driver Michael Schumacher, the most successful driver in Formula One history, was in a coma Sunday after suffering a serious head injury in a skiing accident in southeastern France, hospital officials said. He remains in a critical condition.

The accident happened at around 11 a.m. local time on Sunday while Schumacher, 44, was on a private ski trip in the French Alps. "Michael suffered a head injury in a private ski trip in the French Alps when he hit his head. He was taken to hospital and is receiving professional medical care," said his spokeswoman Sabine Kehm.

The hospital in the city of Grenoble, where he was receiving treatment, added in a statement late on Sunday that Schumacher had suffered a serious head injury and was in coma upon arrival. Earlier reports had said the retired driver was conscious but in shock when he was taken to hospital.

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

I've had two friends die that way. I can't speculate about this, but one of my friends left the main trail to ski through trees and hit a large tree at full speed. I think that my be how Sonny Bono died?

Another left the main trail to ski through an area which had large rocks in the ground which stuck up above the snow. He hit one and that tripped him so that he hit head first into another one. It was common for people to ski through that area, avoiding the large rocks but he didn't make it.

I don't know what happened here, but my best wishes to the man and his friends and family.

The coma part is a but if a departure from this:

-----

He was shocked, a little shaken but conscious, Gernigon-Lecomte said. It may be a head injury but it is not very serious."

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/29/22096117-former-f1-racing-champion-schumacher-injured-in-ski-accident?lite

From OP:

"Earlier reports had said the retired driver was conscious but in shock when he was taken to hospital."

I sincerely hope he will recover.

I've had two friends die that way. I can't speculate about this, but one of my friends left the main trail to ski through trees and hit a large tree at full speed. I think that my be how Sonny Bono died?

Another left the main trail to ski through an area which had large rocks in the ground which stuck up above the snow. He hit one and that tripped him so that he hit head first into another one. It was common for people to ski through that area, avoiding the large rocks but he didn't make it.

I don't know what happened here, but my best wishes to the man and his friends and family.

I was wondering about that, too, searched the web and found this:

"He fell at 11:07am, whilst off piste in Meribel. He was wearing a helmet and hit a rock. The emergency services arrived quickly at 11:15am..."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10541199/Michael-Schumacher-in-a-coma-after-being-airlifted-to-hospital-following-skiing-accident-in-Meribel.html

Michael Schumacher, ex-F1 champion, critical after ski fall

Michael Schumacher, seven-time Formula 1 world champion, is in a critical condition after a skiing accident, says the French hospital treating him.

The 44-year-old German suffered serious brain trauma, was in a coma on arrival and underwent a brain operation.
He was skiing off-piste with his son in the French Alps on Sunday when the accident occurred.

Schumacher was wearing a helmet when he fell and hit his head against a rock, his manager Sabine Kehm said.

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25545993

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-12-30