A long depressing New Years Day walk on Jomtien Beach Road

Jingthing

Duh. I also love diversity more than you can know. The Russians have brought the opposite of that and the culture they have brought is a dreary joyless one at least in its PUBLIC face. Now if it was MEXICANOS dominating that would be a super fiesta for all.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Love diversity?...You don't show it by your recent posts. Perhaps your perception has been misplaced and needs to be re-evaluated.
How many times do I need to make the same point before you get it? Diversity means MANY while a domination of ONE nationality is the opposite of many.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you posted the same about thr domination of pakistanis in Southall, or somalians in Tower Hamlets and Newham, as you do about Russians in Jomtien you would be arrested.

I doubt Newham is overtaken by Somali 2 week package holydaymakers.

Probably you mean recent immgrants are starting to dominate some areas of cities in UK. Would discussing it really get you arrested in UK?

• Like 1

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh please. JOMTIEN is dominated by Russian tourists, most dramatically in high season. Anyone who denies that can't possibly live in Jomtien, can they?

Also if I was such a xenophobe, explain to me why I haven't lived in the USA for 10 years and likely never will, and when I did live there when I had the choice I always lived in VERY MIXED neighborhoods with a high percentage of FOREIGN immigrants? OK sometimes they were Latino barrios ... I like that too, but guess what, I'm not Latino.

I am hardly a typical stereotyped dumb American, dude.

To try to demonize me as some kind of bigot or xenophobe because I have eyes and ears and notice cultural changes where I live is beyond laughable.

Yes I feel threatened when surrounded by crowds of DRUNKEN strangers who are Iranians of unknown political persuasion because I am a Jew and also pro Zionist. That's not related to xenophobia. That's called having a sensible self preservation instinct that is functioning.

There is a big difference between Russification and being DOMINATED by Russians especially the pejorative way you have been using it. The textbook or dictionary of dominated:

dom·i·nate (dm-nt)

v. dom·i·nat·ed, dom·i·nat·ing, dom·i·nates

v.tr.

1. To control, govern, or rule by superior authority or power: Successful leaders dominate events rather than react to them.

2. To exert a supreme, guiding influence on or over: Ambition dominated their lives.

3. To enjoy a commanding, controlling position in: a drug company that dominates the tranquilizer market.

1. To have or exert strong authority or mastery.

2. To be situated in or occupy a position that is more elevated or decidedly superior to others.

So Russian domination is not the best choice or even the wrong choice of words just like there is no German domination in Naklua. Russification of an area is to take on a Russian character or flavor, a far better choice of words.

"Yes I feel threatened when surrounded by crowds of DRUNKEN strangers who are Iranians of unknown political persuasion because I am a Jew and also pro Zionist. That's not related to xenophobia. That's called having a sensible self preservation instinct that is functioning." I will let others go back and read the "Surrounded by enemy Nationals.." thread if they chose and draw their own conclusions about your paranoia (unless you were wearing the Star of David), but in my view you were properly excoriated.

I meant domination in the sense of DEMOGRAPHICS ... their NUMBERS which are much greater than the other foreigner groups. I never suggested or even implied that they have INVADED in a military sense.

If you're going to get all nerdy about rhetoric, fine. I like the word Russification as well. I think it is a good suggestion to use that word to avoid reactionaries getting all hot about some kind of "invasion" that wasn't even mentioned! Of course, Russians have every right to visit and live in Thailand as any group that THAI IMMIGRATION allows. Again, I never said or implied any differently.

As far as your accusation that I am paranoid, you can think what you like, but I will reply this way:

“The Jewish imagination is paranoia, confirmed by history,”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10279886/The-Story-of-the-Jews-BBC-Two-review.html

Edited by Jingthing

I posted most all the dictionary definitions but being the gentleman I am and being here in Pattaya, I dropped all references to sexual domination.

That's very Wonder Bread of you, Bob. crazy.gif

Anyway, thanks for the tip about Russification. I think I've used it in other threads, but I should try to remember to use it in future to be more clear about what's going on in Jomtien (and other parts of the region as well to a lesser degree).

Edited by Jingthing

So JT, if you sell your condo where are you going next?

I read on the i-net that almost everywhere where you have nice climate and a beach you will have the Russians too?

No beach but Bangkok is not full of Russians, yet !

Some parts of Bangkok are rather nice and have great restaurants and also an educated Thai population. You can also live near the river or even a country (many trees) style area. Get away from the tourist areas and its another world.

• Like 1

I doubt Newham is overtaken by Somali 2 week package holydaymakers.

Probably you mean recent immgrants are starting to dominate some areas of cities in UK. Would discussing it really get you arrested in UK?

no it would not, inciting hatred or violence towards them would...

the immigrants complain about the new immigrants from my experience anyway....

I posted most all the dictionary definitions but being the gentleman I am and being here in Pattaya, I dropped all references to sexual domination.

Anyway, thanks for the tip about Russification. I think I've used it in other threads, but I should try to remember to use it in future to be more clear about what's going on in Jomtien (and other parts of the region as well to a lesser degree).

For those who have witnessed or perhaps dislike the Russification of Jomtien, they should pay a visit to Cosy Beach on Pratumnak. They will be surprised. I guess I will never have to visit Moscow (tongue in cheek).

So saying Russian tourists now dominate streets of Pattaya and Jomtien is not ok. Dictionary definitions and all. Ok!

Would dictionary agree if I say most of the loud, rude, drunk tourists we see in Pattaya and Jomtien are Russian tourists?

Would most Pattaya permanent residence agree, that it is Russian tourists who have changed this place for worse in last few years?

How about attitude of Thais towards foreigners is rapidly changing for worse, because Russians now dominate Pattaya and Jomtien, and they are often very rude towards Thais?

Or are we now going even deeper into semantics?

I don't subscribe to this domination theory of yours. In actuality, the tourists numbers are probably greater for other groups like the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Indians, etc. but that is not important.

I don't feel dominated by Russians

You say it is not imortant. But it is very important, especially in this thread.

Number of Chinese tourists may well be higher, than number of Russians visiting Pattaya area. But there is no mention of them in Pattaya forum, there are almost no tread about Chinese tourist, and I've never read negative comments about Chinese here.

It is because they don't yell at Thais in their language, they do not insult Thais, at least not openly, I have never witnessed Chinese tourist insulting a local. I see Russians insulting and yelling at Thais several times every day.

Chinese are not dinking until early morning hours, and disturbing neighbours.

They dont walk around drunk, acting like they owne this place.

You may not subscribe to Russian dominating Pattaya area, but they do. Reading various threads at TV, it seems most Pattaya residents also think they do.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by valgehiir
  • Like 2

You don't have to go that far...no Russians on the dark side, thankfully.

You must have your eyes closed. Or maybe it's just so dark on the darkside that you cant see them even with your eyes open. I see plenty of them there and I only cross Sukumvit once a week for Sunday lunch and to get my car washed.

The point is that Jomtien has become extremely dreary and also it is now dominated by Russians.

It's not just Jomtien; it's every beach resort in Thailand. The dreariness is caused by the large number of tourist families who basically are only interested in shopping and sitting on the beach; two things that cant be anything but dreary. The preponderance of Russians just adds a measure of crassness to the general dreariness.

• Like 1

The textbook or dictionary of dominated:

3. To enjoy a commanding, controlling position in: a drug company that dominates the tranquilizer market.

I am starting to like this game of semantics now.

Take the point 3. from the dictionary:

'To enjoy commanding, controlling position..'

I left out the owning drug company part of this dictionary quote, because they dont own anything, but they THINK they own Pattaya, Jomtien and any other resort town in the world, where they are the dominating majority.

So sadly even your own dictionary disagrees with you, ThaiBob.

Russian at the pool. Hot or not?

Is this what you do in your spare time? ...taking photos of scantily clad people and posting them online?

What is wrong with that? He got good motives hereclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Most expats in Pattaya are retired people so photographing is a nice hobby spending your time, better than sitting in the bar or outside 7/11 drinking Leo's all day long.

I wonder how you'd react if someone shot a photo of your wife lying next to the pool in a g-string and then posted it on the forum.

For those who have witnessed or perhaps dislike the Russification of Jomtien, they should pay a visit to Cosy Beach on Pratumnak. They will be surprised. I guess I will never have to visit Moscow (tongue in cheek).

I've been living in Cosy Beach for 3 years and have never been bothered by Russians.

I go down to the local 7Elevens/Family Marts (there's 6 in one street) and see dozens of Russians hanging out. But really, if they were drunken Australians/Brits I'd probably really dislike Cosy Beach.

JT - I can't help wondering what your day consists of and how you've managed to seemingly let the so-called Russian invasion affect you. On a personal note, I find the Russians to be quite diverse in their looks, attitudes, and demeanour.

Because quite frankly, I was on Jomtien beach yesterday afternoon and early evening with my wife, and I didn't see or feel what you did. I had a bloody good time just doing next to nothing and watching the sun go down.

It is Russian invasion, maybe invasion is wrong word, but no one can argue that they now dominate Pattaya and Jomtien. Just as they dominate resort towns in Turkey, Alnya and Atalya. In Egypt Sarm el Sheik was over taken by Russians 4 years ago.

There are hardly European tourists in Pattaya area now, compered to just 4-5 years ago.

To me this no big deal, in some ways I like it. But I can see how many expats, who moved here 10, even just 5 years ago now find themselves in completely different town.

Russians are gloomy, they never smile to strangers, smiling is considered weakness, if in Russia a guy smiles at another guy, a stranger, in Russian mans mind it can mean only one thing.

But they are very friendly to each other in all Russian restaurants, in baht buses strangers always start frindly convo, usuallt talking about where they are staying and what they payed for their 2 weeks holyday. Then they start talking about what an awful place this is, and rude ThAis are towards them. I listen these convos in baht buses every day

Jomtien has changed so much, the scene is very different from few years ago.

It can be still a pleasant place to visit once or twice a week, you enjoyed your day there, but it something entirely different if you live in Jomtien, day after day, 12 months of the year. I did stay there once almost for 2 years. Not any more. I can't, and I don't.

Valgehiir - I do live in Jomtien permanently and have done for three years, so yes I've seen the changes you talk about.

I guess the point I was making to JT was that if you fill your life with activities and friends, things that depressed or concerned you (as in JT with the Russians) can be a non event. I take a certain pleasure in honking the scooter horn at them if they do crazy things walking on the road, or making sure they don't get past me at the 7/11, and observing their bluntness with the Thais and their reaction to it.

Life is a game if you want it to be and I suspect JT struggles with that concept.

In the seven- elevens on Cosy Beach the sales girls speak Russian to you

I agree that as a group the Russians are boring - the women are not available and they are often oblivious to others.

It was more fun 10 years ago when the ones you met were obviously mafiosa types.

For me, the worst thing about Jomtien now is the traffic. Hannamard intersection STILL has no proper walk lights and is really unpleasant to cross. Despite the traffic, we still have no decent supermarket , shopping mall or even a starbucks. Which of course adds to the traffic as people have to go into town for those conveniences. Despite that,, Rompo market is dying and is nowhere near as fun as 2 years ago.

Even the single gogo bar here has gone way downhill and needs new management.

Yes, this is due to the Russian cheap charlie influence.

Edited by BugJackBaron

I agree that as a group the Russians are boring - the women are not available and they are often oblivious to others.

It was more fun 10 years ago when the ones you met were obviously mafiosa types.

For me, the worst thing about Jomtien now is the traffic. Hannamard intersection STILL has no proper walk lights and is really unpleasant to cross. Despite the traffic, we still have no decent supermarket , shopping mall or even a starbucks. Which of course adds to the traffic as people have to go into town for those conveniences. Despite that,, Rompo market is dying and is nowhere near as fun as 2 years ago.

?? you have Tesco, Big C and Makro and Outlet mall??

That go go bar is in violation of zoning law and is police owned. Go go is not allowed in Jomtien only drinking bars. The neighborhood has been trying to get the dam thing closed for years as it plays loud base music to the early morning hours. Yes, those cheap charlie Russian families apparently don't want to patronize the place.

?? you have Tesco, Big C and Makro and Outlet mall??

Yes, 4 kilometres up the road on the Sukhumvit.......and that's further than going into Pattaya! Hardly "in" Jomtien, which for most would be the beach area.

That go go bar is in violation of zoning law and is police owned. Go go is not allowed in Jomtien only drinking bars. The neighborhood has been trying to get the dam thing closed for years as it plays loud base music to the early morning hours. Yes, those cheap charlie Russian families apparently don't want to patronize the place.

That's strange as I can only hear music inside it or near the door - I must be getting deaf.. The music coming from across the road at those country bars is far louder.

You might be surprised at the number of Russian people who are curious and go in for a drink. This includes couples and single men. Be that as it may,my comment was more directed to the poor service and management it has seen recently

I'm not sure if the police still own as I heard the original owner died last June.