The biggest and best homeware shop in Issan?

xerostar

We live in the Rattanawapi district of Issan.

I'm looking for a big hardware/homeware shop with a large range of modern home furniture, hardware, plumbing, building supplies.

I'd imagine this would be in somewhere in Nong Khai or Udon Thani.

I'm fed up with these little local shops that have a jumble of dusty stuff with the "no have" answer on nearly everything I want !

Can somebody suggest such a place in the region that we could visit?

I love Do Home (Khonkaen). It's gigantic and has so so much there. I drive 1.5 hrs one way to Do Home. Oh and they have possibly the most impressive web site compared to others I've seen.

I'm a fan of Home Pro for a Home Depot (but nicer) kind of stuff. For furniture I prefer Index, both of which for me are in KK. I see they have just opened a Baan & Beyond in Khon Kaen, which I hear is pretty good, haven't checked it out myself.

I despise Global House for pretty much everything, and Koncept while OK, is no Index

I love Do Home (Khonkaen). It's gigantic and has so so much there. I drive 1.5 hrs one way to Do Home. Oh and they have possibly the most impressive web site compared to others I've seen.

I'm a fan of Home Pro for a Home Depot (but nicer) kind of stuff. For furniture I prefer Index, both of which for me are in KK. I see they have just opened a Baan & Beyond in Khon Kaen, which I hear is pretty good, haven't checked it out myself.

I despise Global House for pretty much everything, and Koncept while OK, is no Index

I'm the opposite, Global House in KK for me.

I haven't heard of Home Do before so will check them out next trip over there.

I see they have just opened a Baan & Beyond in Khon Kaen, which I hear is pretty good, haven't checked it out myself.

Yes its in the new shopping centre in front of Big C Supercenter on Mittraphap.

Fancy stuff but pricey (no wonder).

Unfortunately I can not find a homepage to check about other locations.

Remember the topic starter lives far north in Nong Khai province, so KK is really too far.

Thai Watsadu has also opened a market in Udon Thani in 2013.

No english language website:

http://www.thaiwatsadu.com/location-29.html

Its on the ringroad south-eastward.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Me, I hate Do Home in Khon Kaen.

We picked out 3 toilets and a bath that we wanted, they checked and told us they were in stock, we paid the money and then went around to the pick-up place at the back only to be told 'no have'.

Next time we went, we wanted a bunch of floor tiles. Again, they checked on their computer, said they were in stock, paid, went to pick them up and got 'no have' again. This time we said we would order them. A couple of weeks later they called and said our tiles were in so the next day we drove there (180km round trip) and guess what, right, 'no have'.

When we asked where they had gone we were told that someone else had needed them urgently.

I'd only go there if I was desperate after such poor service.

Hardware stores in Ubon/Warin. Global house, Home pro, Thai watsadu, Home Hub, DoHome. In that order for selection and service. But don't buy furniture at a hardware store. I use TSF for great quality furniture, but you will pay a preimum. Like true Lazy-boy leather recliners are double US price. But I still love the Sealy pousterpedic presidential I sleep on every nite, even though it was over $1k US. Have heard Index is good also, but have not been there, other side of town for me.

Have bought hardware store furniture in past, gave it away a few months later.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We picked out 3 toilets and a bath that we wanted, they checked and told us they were in stock, we paid the money and then went around to the pick-up place at the back only to be told 'no have'.

Next time we went, we wanted a bunch of floor tiles. Again, they checked on their computer, said they were in stock, paid, went to pick them up and got 'no have' again. This time we said we would order them. A couple of weeks later they called and said our tiles were in so the next day we drove there (180km round trip) and guess what, right, 'no have'.

When we asked where they had gone we were told that someone else had needed them urgently.

DO Home service is terrible. Many of the staff are Vietnamese and many of them are scared of whiteys.

WOW. Sorry to hear that happened to you. I would hate them too if that was my experience. I think I would be IRATE. Seems like all of Thailand suffers from a genuine "good business" understanding.

True , no wax rings here. Use the Warner thinset. Orange and white bag with the lizard on it. Make two rings, one to replace the wax ring and keep your business in the pipe. The second around the outside to secure to floor. That the thai way.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'll bet none of these places has a wax ring for a toilet. They don't seem to know what they are. I guess they use - and I'll have no choice but to follow - mortar to set the toilet. Strange to me.

Motar for everything is the Thai way. I remodeled my bathrooms a couple of years ago, and because they cement the tiles on the walls, means taking a jack hammer to remove the old ones. I asked everywhere for tile glue...blank stares

from Rattana your best bet based on my personal experience in the region where u live is

Global House Nong Khai ..hardware

the new Watsadu store in Udon hardware

St Mall in Udon Thani for better selection of tiles

Index Udon Thani Furniture

also in Phon Phisai u have a shop called Paradon or Paragon hardware they have very good prices on steel and pvc ...

pm me if u get stuck

• 6 months later...

I'm delighted to "report" I found a wax ring (actually waxless) for a newly installed toilet in Home Pro. It's called Fluidmaster... I used it w/out a bit of hassle or leaking. Home Pro might be a bit "pricy" compared to other suppliers but they cerainly can be relied on for "Western" style stuff.

Cheers

Hardware stores in Ubon/Warin. Global house, Home pro, Thai watsadu, Home Hub, DoHome. In that order for selection and service. But don't buy furniture at a hardware store. I use TSF for great quality furniture, but you will pay a preimum. Like true Lazy-boy leather recliners are double US price. But I still love the Sealy pousterpedic presidential I sleep on every nite, even though it was over $1k US. Have heard Index is good also, but have not been there, other side of town for me. Have bought hardware store furniture in past, gave it away a few months later. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And most of those - GH, HP, TW, HH and TSF are on the Ring Road within a 4k stretch. Makes looking for those difficult to find items a slightly less painful hunt and the market here is so oversupplied they are never crowded (DoHome is at weekends - most people, including me, would evidently not put DH at the bottom of their listtongue.png ).

And visit them all you must - if you are interested in getting good value; there seems to be no rhyme or reason why items in one are cheap and in others expensive and no consistency as to who is cheap e.g. some standard light bulbs might be cheapest in DoHome but floodlights from the same manufacturers are cheapest in GH. I tend to give up on value and just shop in whichever is most handy at the time now.

If you like quality and 1k dollar matresses MartyJustice I doubt you would be impressed by Index. It's half way between true quality and watsadu shed rubbish and I don't knock it for choice and design (indeed I filled my place with the stuff when our house was completed 6 years ago - who knew how long this life-changing experiment of marrying a foreign (ie Thai) lady and fathering a child was going to last?smile.png) - just don't expect stuff to last a lifetime (talking about the hardware there, I do now expect the other stuff to last a lifetime!)