Red shirts harass PDRC protesters in Chiang Mai

webfact

Red shirts harass PDRC protesters in Chiang Mai

1-5-2014-9-21-28-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Anti-government protesters were harassed by red-shirt followers in Muang district of Chiang Mai Sunday as the former tried to campaign for the local people to support national reform to take place before the country go to the polls.

About 100 followers of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee first gathered in front of a Catholic church on Charoenrat road to distribute leaflets to passing motorists inviting them to join their campaign in support of national reform instead of going to the polls on February 2.

Later on the group marched along the Tha Pae road to the Sam Kasat monument. But however a group of red-shirt followers were already at the Nawarat bridge to block the protesters from passing through.

Policemen who were deployed at the scene then persuaded the anti-government protesters to change their route to the Nakhon Ping bridge to avoid the confrontation with the red shirts.

The protesters concurred and switched from marching to travelling in cars and motorcycles. But nevertheless they were again blocked by the red shirts who followed them to Soi Ton Bodi behind Wat Chaisriphum.

The red shirts reportedly hurled bottles and stones at the protesters’ convoy and assaulted some motorcycle-riding female protesters.

The unprovoked violence prompted the police to intervene to prevent the violence from worsening. The protesters also decided to change their protest venue from Wat Sam Kasat to Nong Hor shooting range to avoid confronting the red shirts.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/red-shirts-harass-pdrc-protesters-chiang-mai/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-06

• Like 1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REDS AGAINST PROTESTERS
Two injured in Chiang Mai clash

The Nation

BANGKK: -- Meanwhile, two injuries were reported during a clash in Chiang Mai between red shirts and anti-government protesters, who threw stones and bottles of water at each other.

Supporters of the government threw rocks at anti-government protesters carrying national flags as they rallied on the back of trucks in the northern province.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-06

• Like 1

entering a red shirt strong hold and trying to stir up a hornets nest

by "handing out leaflets"

Seems some forum members share the red shirts' intolerance of anyone else.

How is my post being intolerant of others. Where in my post was I taking either side?

Edited by chooka

Looking more and more like a cult following with each passing day. Any resistance or doubt cast on dear leader is met with a barrage of violence. Shameful, and just where is the Thai version of Ryan Hardy to fight against this evil?

Being blind and blame just one side will not depict the truth.

Both sides are lead by a wannabe dictator, that will only bring Thailand to ruins.

Time will tell us...

• Like 2

Looking more and more like a cult following with each passing day. Any resistance or doubt cast on dear leader is met with a barrage of violence. Shameful, and just where is the Thai version of Ryan Hardy to fight against this evil?

One must admit it's difficult to tell which side you're talking about. The anti-govt side often sounds like a deranged religious cult, whilst DJ Aom, leader of the group who attacked the PDRC above is a fanatical Thaksin acolyte. And her group, Rak Chiang Mai 51, as you probably know, are no stranger to violence.

Shame the minority of complete retards on both sides can't destroy each other, leaving those who favour peace, compromise and negotiation to figure this out.

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 2

entering a red shirt strong hold and trying to stir up a hornets nest

by "handing out leaflets"

Seems some forum members share the red shirts' intolerance of anyone else.

How is my post being intolerant of others. Where in my post was I taking either side?

By using the hyperbolic exaggeration "stirring up a hornets nest" relative to the actual action of the protestors answers both.

My deepest apologies, it was not my intention to offend. I am sincerely sorry.wai.gif

entering a red shirt strong hold and trying to stir up a hornets nest, seems to me that it is the yellow shirts who are harassing the reds. They have guts tho about 100 against a few million.

You over state the red case in Chiang Mai, there are many Thais here who are not in love with the Shins, millions of reds here I think not there demos do not draw very large crowds.

How many arrests were made? Or is violence an acceptable political tool to the police of Redland?

That was my immediate response too...!!

There are various posters on here shouting for the arrest of certain leaders of the anti-government protesters (despite those individuals not having been involved in any violence themselves), and yet their demands do not extend to Red Shirts throwing bottles and stones.

Anyone, on either side, who turns to violent means deserves to be arrested; however, it is clear that the police here will never arrest a Red Shirt...!!

• Like 2

What side are you talking about?

• Like 1

This is how dissenting voices are treated in Redland.

Indeed it is, as has been demonstrated time and again by diverse groups, be they gays or yellow shirts.

such attitudes are not particular to this group, which only amounts to about 100 - 200 red shirts out of what must be thousands in the CM.

Let's condemn all violent incidents

It's only a minority, for the moment anyway, that seek violence

Keeping on-topic in regards to this thread regarding violence in CM, I await condemnation of the red shirts involved in the violence in CM by the red shirts in CM who were not violent.

Edited by Maha Sarakham Marty
  • Like 1

This is how dissenting voices are treated in Redland.

Indeed it is, as has been demonstrated time and again by diverse groups, be they gays or yellow shirts.

such attitudes are not particular to this group, which only amounts to about 100 - 200 red shirts out of what must be thousands in the CM.

Let's condemn all violent incidents

It's only a minority, for the moment anyway, that seek violence

Keeping on-topic in regards to this thread regarding violence in CM, I await condemnation of the red shirts involved in the violence in CM by the red shirts in CM who were not violent.

And I've love to hear that. And I'd also love to hear Suthep and his mainstream anti-govt group condemn the NSPRT for some of the violence they've been involved in. Suthep lead his group away from them at the Thai-Japanese Stadium, obviously knowing that violence was likely and wanting to distance himself and his followers, true. But they're still lauded from the mainstream stage and I haven't really seen any supporters of the anti-govt movement question their role in the violence yet either. They prefer to believe the government and red shirts are the only side responsible.

So yes, it'd be great to hear some condemnation of violence from fellow supporters of the various movements, but I suspect we'll be waiting a long time... it's hard to condemn your own side, especially in such a heated and polarized environment.

• Like 2

A lot of posters yesterday were calling the protesters gutless, for they should try and shut down CNX instead of Krabi Airport. I dont think suicide is on their wish list. These Red thugs are in their stronghold and anything is ok as long as your Red.

entering a red shirt strong hold and trying to stir up a hornets nest, seems to me that it is the yellow shirts who are harassing the reds. They have guts tho about 100 against a few million.

Yellow shirts? Handing out leaflets stirring up a hornets nest? To protest is one's right, why can't the 'reds' grow up and let them be?

Btw, your avatar would be spot on donning a red shirt. giggle.gif