Thai Tourist Police: 2000 more officers needed

webfact

The tourist police I see are pretty much just "volunteers" in it for the visa. I am not suggesting all of them are that way. I mean, really...how much are they paid? It sounds like they want more volunteers (read: free labor).

This article is about Thai tourist police officers, not foreign volunteers.

Just an incite into the type of BIB we have. When in Pattaya do you see a policeman walking around with a smile assuring the tourists all is well ???

"walking around"? "smile"? Some weird language on this thread. Policemen belong on the inside of their cars or trucks, and are only supposed to move outside to pick up tea money. Strange that they haven't got loudspeakers on the outside of the car like the parking terrorists at Swampy. That would make communication with their "fellow" citizens so much easier and would prevent the officers from being disturbed by the voices of the unworthy.

A slot for banknotes in the door would probably be useful too...

BANGKOK: -- The Tourist Police want the government to add 2,000 new officers to the force to secure their role in meeting the country's tourism-revenue target of Bt2.2 trillion by next year.

I do not understand this statement. By adding an additional 2000 Tourist Police, will assist the government meet their tourism-revenue target of Bt2.2 trillion by year end. Is this an indication that the tourist police will increas the amount of money extorted from tourist? coffee1.gif

Is this volunteer or paying work?

Makes no difference, as the article claims Tourism drives the economy - ridiculous.

A simple calculation shows that Foreign residents bring in 10 times the money that tourists provide.

Have you seen any supposedly official numbers on how many foreign residents there are and how much they spend?