Red Plate Motorbike Questions

kevindorian

Heya all just questions about buying a motorbike

1. I was told by the dealer that if you do not finance your motorbike and buy it straight out those laws such as not driving after 8pm etc

do not apply as long as I show the police officer some of the documents they will supply, - that sound correct?

2. Also I know you have the red plate for about 2 months and then you get the white plate.. I was curious what happens if you had to move, like lets say I was living in Chon Buri and bought a bike there but then had to move to Chang Mai 3 weeks later.... can this be done, can I take my bike? do I have to go back to Chon Buri, what is the deal on that front?

Thanks all

I think it's because no one can give you a definitive answer.

Regarding point 1, I very much doubt whether a bike is financed or bought outright with cash would make any difference. The "rule" for cars (don't know if it's the same for bikes) is that red plates are only allowed during daylight hours (after sun rise and before sun set). Then again, I see lots of red plated cars even late at night

Point 2 - yes, you can take your bike anywhere but upon renewal of road tax, I think you have to go back to where it was first registered unless you ...... sorry, no idea

I will answer based on experience. I bought a new bike cash not finance. With red plates on I Drove it about 10pm and had to stop at police checkpoint near pattaya. I show them only the receipt of the bike purchase and my "expired" license. No problem at all.

Then dealer called that white plate came ready for collection. I unbolted the red plate out of the bike, go to the dealer on a car and exchange red plate for the white one. No need to bring the bike. So in this case I'm certain you can also send the red plate by post and let dealer send the white plate just the same.

I thought you could renew the road tax and insurance anywhere, not just in the province where the bike is registered. Anyone know for sure?

I do in phuket, my bikes are registered in bangkok, yearly tax renewal in phuket is fine. As to the OP, had a few red plates and never had a problem at any time day or night, I do carry the paperwork with me at all times which i have always been given on a new bike regardless of cash or finance. NHo idea about changing address though.

Edited by B1ade