Non O visa from the UK

Excuse me going slightly off topic but I asked a similar question 5 days ago http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/695906-non-o-visa-from-the-uk/ What I interpret is though I am over 65 & a pension earner I would not be entitled to a Non O Multi Entry as I do not have a Thai wife/ child.

Hi - yep - i'm here as an over-65, with a Non-Immigrant Cat 'O' 1-Year Multi-Entry - have had them for a few years. On the form we always used to put 'Visiting UK Pensioner' as the 'reason for visiting Thailand' - it was what they accepted. At this moment in time, everything seems to be up in the air somewhat, with real changes to the system going on, so it's difficult to predict what anyone's situation will be months ahead.

Excuse me going slightly off topic but I asked a similar question 5 days ago http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/695906-non-o-visa-from-the-uk/ What I interpret is though I am over 65 & a pension earner I would not be entitled to a Non O Multi Entry as I do not have a Thai wife/ child.

There is still a lot of confusion about this. Info coming in is that for retirement the embassy via the honorary consulates are not approving them. The embassy certainly will not accept an application directly because they only do the OA visa.

It appears to me that embassy is pushing the the OA visa by doing this.

Hull has even been reported as not even doing a single entry visa for being 50 or over.

The Thai Embassy does Non O visas, or am I missing something ??

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

The embassy has not done non-o visas based upon being 50 or over for retirement for a long time the honorary consulates would though do them though. They will only do OA visas. The info on the link is misinformation if you are a UK citizen they will not do them. They would probably however do them for non UK citizens.

They will still do them based upon marriage to a Thai and other reasons that qualify.

I hope I can be in Thailand long enough to need a non-o again.

Back in 2008 when I last got one (multi-entry) they didn't do any checks? I was 25 years old. Sounds like things are getting more difficult.

Interesting !

Are you able to tell us on what basis that M-E NON "O" visa was given ?

• Like 1

I'm not sure how the consulates are funded but I suspect a lot of their income came from postal applications. Hull for example does not have a huge population or catchment area. With the removal of postal applications will they still be viable?

The other problem is the increased demand on the switchboard at the Thai Embassy in London. I've never found them consumer friendly and trying to contact them over the last few days has been impossible.

I suspect this move has come about by people trying to cheat the system.

Multi entry non immigrant 'o' visas based on marriage are just glorified tourist visa's that still require the bearer to leave the kingdom every 90 days.

I think some people here are mixing them up with retirement visa's for which income details are required.

Edited by Jay Sata

I'm not sure how the consulates are funded but I suspect a lot of their income came from postal applications. Hull for example does not have a huge population or catchment area. With the removal of postal applications will they still be viable?

The other problem is the increased demand on the switchboard at the Thai Embassy in London. I've never found them consumer friendly and trying to contact them over the last few days has been impossible.

Multi entry non immigrant 'o' visas based on marriage are just glorified tourist visa's that still require the bearer to leave the kingdom every 90 days.

I think some people here are mixing them up with retirement visa's for which income details are required.

Hull was always known to be "friendly" and very few (if any) questions where asked of visa applicants.

This has resulted in a massive " crackdown" which has affected all UK Hon Consulates.

As always the misdeeds of the few affect the majority .

Edit

Spelling

Edited by Sceptict11
  • Like 1

I'm not going to speculate on why things have changed but certain consulates were always more popular than others.

In Asia there are 'farang visa' hotspots that crop up from time to time. When you visit Pattaya or Phuket you have to ask how are these expats living and working here? On what visa?

The Thai visa system is like the London Underground. Easy to navigate if you know your way around.

I'm not going to speculate on why things have changed but certain consulates were always more popular than others.

In Asia there are 'farang visa' hotspots that crop up from time to time. When you visit Pattaya or Phuket you have to ask how are these expats living and working here? On what visa?

The Thai visa system is like the London Underground. Easy to navigate if you know your way around.

Many may be flying "under the radar" !smile.png

The visa system is easy for those who meet the requirements !

Edited by Sceptict11

After reading THAI embassy website it states consulates not doing no o from 15th jan,

On hulls website it says all postal applications forwarded to embassy,

Thai embassy not taking cash,card or cheque Only POstal order,

If non O for marriage you will need to show income or savings

If non O for visiting kids ( your own ) doesn't mention income/savings only birth certificates ( you the father on it )

Also says you can apply by post,

The sooner they make things clear the better.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I knew a 40+ year-old guy who got Cat 'O' multi-entry visas for years - way under the 50 yrs old requirement, so yes, cheating the system - with the willing HELP OF THE SYSTEM - has gone on. As far as funding the hon. consulates is concerned - i believe they operate as independent businesses under licence from the Thai govt, so yes, all these changes are going to make them less viable as you say. This is a pity in my opinion.

I don't understand your remark about "Multi entry non immigrant visas...[being] just glorified tourist visas" I don't see that at all. At borders, people have been refused repeat tourist visas because they have lower status than Cat 'O's; and for the same reason, (status) Cat 'O's allow the obtaining of a Thai driving-licence - it is regarded by the Thai administration as a 'proper visa', and that phrase has been used to people i know who've been refused another 'tourist visa' at the Nong Khai bridge - with words such as 'Go and get proper visa'. So i think the Cat 'O' has been seen as a secure 15-month stay, and repeatable - in the past at least. As far as the 90-day rule is concerned, i'd rather take a 1-hour trip over the nearest bridge every 90 days than face the awful people who run the local Imm.Office ! It depends so much on how near the border one lives.

Lastly - haven't you missed the point of this thread, which is that Finances (income or savings) were introduced into the application for Cat 'O' similar to those required for the 'Extension-based-on-retirement' ? People aren't 'mixing them up with retirement visas'. (Btw - there is no such thing as a 'retirement visa' as such.) There's a lot of confusion around, but the section from the Thai Embassy quoted above does mention financial requirements for Cat 'O's - scroll back and it's on the first page i think. The worst aspect at the moment is that it seems we can't even rely on official advice on govt websites.

This from the London Embassy website

Category "O"

To visit Thai spouse, children, parents or voluntary job.

Category "O" with multiple entries

Pension earners or Applicants over 50 years of age, following document is required;

- Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner, or

- Proof of income with a minimum of £1,400.00 per month or

- Thai Spouse visa with a copy of marriage certificate and passport or Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than

£1,400.00 or £16,500 anuually for those who have been issue category O with multiple entries)

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Reading through the thread, one thing that seems unclear to me, is the status of the OP's monthly income - there's no mention of that continuing after arriving in Thailand is there ? What one earns in the UK at the time of application is surely irrelevant after leaving unless it continues in Thailand in some way ?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing !

The financial history is as close as they can get to a proven record of income. They cannot reasonably ask for a current and ongoing update on income. One cannot predict what will happen in the future regarding work and pay. If they did, what would happen to your visa if you suddenly lose your job/income? Visa canceled and shown the door?

Look at it this way; when you apply for a loan, credit card or any new line of credit, the bank or building society looks at your credit HISTORY, as well as proving your CURRENT salary. Now one may decide to blow the new loan entirely on ping-pong ball parties in go-go bars (and lose your job too) but in a years time when you need new credit (or a new visa), the proof of your non-qualification for either be there in your history.

I never realized that you had to be 50+ to get a multi non-o visa, I do not believe that this was the case. I have managed to get Non o multi for the last 6 years by providing all the documents which were needed at the time, and I am under 45. This was more than a tourist visa as I had to prove that i was married to a Thai National.

In the past eight years I have worked 6 months in the UK then spent 6 months living in Thailand, not working and with private medical insurance.

I earn 1380 GBP per month, saving most of this as my employee provides accommodation and pays all bills except food, with what i save during six months working in the UK and a tax rebate combined with what my Mrs earns whilst we are in Thailand we live comfortably and manage to save some money most winters. It now looks like a multi non imm O visa may no longer be an option as I would not meet the financial requirements and under 50?. I beginning to get worried that the new rules for Thai Visas and changes to the interpretation of UK visa rules my current lifestyle is doomed. Will I ever be able to spend 6 months in Thailand again, or are the good days over?

Any sensible ideas on the way forward gratefully received, how can i spend 6-7 months legally in Thailand each winter without a multi non o. Maybe I am worrying too soon as i am around 6 months applying for any visa for next year, but I becoming increasingly despondent.

I never realized that you had to be 50+ to get a multi non-o visa, I do not believe that this was the case. I have managed to get Non o multi for the last 6 years by providing all the documents which were needed at the time, and I am under 45. This was more than a tourist visa as I had to prove that i was married to a Thai National.

In the past eight years I have worked 6 months in the UK then spent 6 months living in Thailand, not working and with private medical insurance.

I earn 1380 GBP per month, saving most of this as my employee provides accommodation and pays all bills except food, with what i save during six months working in the UK and a tax rebate combined with what my Mrs earns whilst we are in Thailand we live comfortably and manage to save some money most winters. It now looks like a multi non imm O visa may no longer be an option as I would not meet the financial requirements and under 50?. I beginning to get worried that the new rules for Thai Visas and changes to the interpretation of UK visa rules my current lifestyle is doomed. Will I ever be able to spend 6 months in Thailand again, or are the good days over?

Any sensible ideas on the way forward gratefully received, how can i spend 6-7 months legally in Thailand each winter without a multi non o. Maybe I am worrying too soon as i am around 6 months applying for any visa for next year, but I becoming increasingly despondent.

You don't have to be 50 to get a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage to a Thai.

The financial are also not required. Info on embassy website is an error. Go back through this topic and you will find some reports of them being recently being obtained.

You could also get one while you are here by making a trip to Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof required.

Being married to a Thai puts you in a completely different category to someone who needed to be over 50 to get a Cat 'O' in the past, as i did 4 times. Please look to the experts help on your situation as a married person. But in relation to your question about ever having 6 months in Thailand in the future, i don't see why you are so worried. You never really needed a Multi-Entry Cat 'O' to do that in the first place. Thousands of people have stayed in LoS for years on Tourist visas, though i admit that that route has also been tightened-up, with some repeat-users of the Tourist way being refused entry at borders in the past year at least. However, i have a friend who is currently here on a Double Tourist Visa (and you can get Triples). He goes to the local Immigration Office at the end of the first 60 days, gets a 30-day extension for 1,900 Bt, then does a visa-run after those 30-days to begin the second Tourist Visa; then another trip to the Imm.Office for a 30-day extension at the end of that second 60-day period. So, 6 months from one Double Tourist Visa - potentially 9 months from a Triple. Please tell me this is not right if expert opinion disagrees - i'm only another confused ex-pat ! Also, depending on where you come from - are the 30-day permissions still being handed out to all citizens of the G8 countries coming in at land borders ?; another way to get a month added on to whatever visa you'd have.

From the horses mouth,

Thank you for your enquiry.

There have been changes.

We must now submit copies of all non immigrant visa applications to the Royal Thai Embassy in London.

They scrutinise the application and if everything is in order they will authorise us to issue the visa.

We note you do not say you are married to a Thai national. Therefore, unless you have custody of the children, you will not be eligible for a non immigrant visa.

If you do have custody of at least one of the children you will need to submit with your visa application a copy of the child’s birth certificate showing you as the father and a copy of the relevant document which shows you to have custody of the child.

You will also need to show that you receive a monthly income by way of salary from an employer of at least THB65k or a lump-sum in a bank of at least THB800k or equivalent in another major currency.

If you can meet these requirements you can submit an application for a non immigrant category O visa.

If you can’t meet the requirements you will be allowed only a tourist visa.

Attached is out Visa Application Pack.

1. I've got last 3 months statements showing about £1,500 per month in my account,

I'm self employed so thinking of submitting my accounts as well, but they only show 22K PA.

He said 65K, what's that in pounds,because they always use a different exchange rate than us,

All the grief maybe better getting single entry non O ,I think I don't nee to show income for this,

Thoughts,

Hull is doing things differently than the other consulates.

There have been reports of Birmingham doing multiple entry visas based upon marriage with no financial proof with approval by the embassy. I suggest you contact them to see what they say.

thanks ubonjoe

but the fact is all applications have to go to London to be approved, so its got to be better to just go straight to the embassy,

from what i hear hull has been giving out visas like candy,

having said that when i was married it was easy,but when i got divorced they asked for birth certs of kids, if i didn't have they wouldn't give me a visa.

i will be applying on the 1st of feb, and will send the birth certs , fee and form,

if they ask later for income details i will have them ready to forward,

because i feel i will get the visa without showing income,

i could be wrong.

thanks ubonjoe

but the fact is all applications have to go to London to be approved, so its got to be better to just go straight to the embassy,

having said that when i was married it was easy,but when i got divorced they asked for birth certs of kids, if i didn't have they wouldn't give me a visa.

i will be applying on the 1st of feb, and will send the birth certs , fee and form,

i could be wrong.

You may need divorce decree to prove custody (joint is ok) of children also.

Hull seems reluctant to accept any multiple entry visa. They have been turning people down for not having financial proof when it is not needed.

Since you have to do application in person now at the consulates it might be easier in your case to apply by mail to the embassy.

thanks ubonjoe

i could be wrong.

You may need divorce decree to prove custody (joint is ok) of children also.

Hull seems reluctant to accept any multiple entry visa. They have been turning people down for not having financial proof when it is not needed.

Since you have to do application in person now at the consulates it might be easier in your case to apply by mail to the embassy.

Thanks for the quick reply mate.

Will do that

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As I am torn between an extension or getting another visa I this morning e-mailed the consulate in Cardiff asking the requirements for a multiple non-O based on marriage. Their very prompt reply;

"Good Morning,

To obtain a one year Multiple Non-Immigrant 'O' Visa on the basis of marriage you will be required to submit a copy of your marriage certificate and copy of your partners Thai I.D or passport.

you will need to book an appointment. The visa takes 20 minutes to process - to book an appointment please contact the consulate on 02920 465777

Regards

RTC Cardiff"

All rather encouraging.

Update,

Sent my application for non O visa today to Thai embassy London ,

1 Application form ,as stated on website,

2 passport photos,

Postal order for £ 125.00

Birth certificate,

Divorce certificate ,with attachments stating I have sole custody,

Postal order. £ 125.00

PO charge. £ 12.50

Special delivery. £ 6.95

Return delivery. £ 6.95

Total. £ 151.40

So far if they don't ask for financials ,if they do that's another £ 6.95,

It's a bloody racket,

Let's hope that's the end for a year,and I get my passport with visa in a couple of days,

Conclusion

Embassy phoned me to say they will not issue a non o multi on the grounds I am not married,

Even though the divorce cert states the kids are in my sole custody,

Said if I get married again will be ok, what the <deleted>, I gotta marry again just to get a visa,

Then said because the kids aren't registered as mine ????

My names on birth cert ,

Settled for double entry visa 60 days.

Told me hull made big mistakes in the past.

Confused and pissed off

The embassy in London is apparently just being unfriendly. They should of done it based upon the documents you supplied.

Did you ask about a single entry non-o. With that you could of applied for an extension of stay based upon having a Thai child if you could meet the financial requirements of 400k baht in a Thai bank or income of 40k baht.

You can also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your child with any type of entry. If your tourist visa is valid for 6 months you could get about 240 days total out of your tourist visa by extending your first entry by 60 days instead of 30 and then the same for the 2nd entry,

• Like 1

Thanks joe, thing is I explained to her ( she wasn't listening )

Yes I'm divorced ,but the kids are with my friend and not my ex wife,

She walked out 2 years ago and haven't seen her or want to.

" oh I see, so there not with mom" no for the third time.

What you doing in Thailand ?

Why you want to stay there for a long time ?

Etc,etc

She kept conferring with another,then the other woman came on phone.

Because I'm not married they've refused it,

Then I refereed to website stating reason to visit kids, she then changed and said that's for Thais who have given up Thai nationality etc etc,

WHat ? Then changed again to " there not really your kids ,because you haven't registered them"

<deleted> what exactly is your reason here ?

Err the last one, go to kaet and register them has yours.

By this time I couldn't be bothered,

They all have Thai passports,British passports,

All been registered at British embassy just ordered birth certs online from GRO UK.

Told her to look at the attachment with the divorce cert, I believe it's called ( bahn terk ) which is part of the divorce and a very important paper,

Couldn't be bothered,

I'll get 60 days then off to the casino in poi pet 555+,

Point is I work UK 2 months and Thailand 2months, the non o is easy for me,

So if I'm married it's ok the kids are mine,but now divorced there not ????

How do I register the kids and if so will mommy be involved has they've been in my care for 2 years now with no interaction or monies from her ?

You cna file a ccomplaint with the embassy and if that is not working with the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs.

For now a tourist visa seems good (you can extend it by 60 days based on your children) and while you are in Thailand you can go to Laos, savanakhet< and apply for a (multiple) non-O visa based on the children there.

Once you have a non-O visa, you could apply for a 1 year extension of stay together with a multiple re-entry permit.

• Like 1

I think the registration means having them in a house book which I assume they are. Perhaps if you had supplied a copy of that it would of satisfied them.

The house book is also required to get the 60 day extension.

You could go to Savannakhet and apply for a multiple entry non-o there.

• Like 1

You cna file a ccomplaint with the embassy and if that is not working with the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs.

For now a tourist visa seems good (you can extend it by 60 days based on your children) and while you are in Thailand you can go to Laos, savanakhet< and apply for a (multiple) non-O visa based on the children there.

Once you have a non-O visa, you could apply for a 1 year extension of stay together with a multiple re-entry permit.

Thanks mate,,

She did say I could complain ,but didn't say to who.

Going to savanakhet means going to mukdahan ,don't ever want to go back to Issan ,555

I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation ,balancing work with being with the kids,

At the moment can't bring them to UK because I don't have nobody to look after them while I work,no family here.

Social services would have them in care straight away,

I think the registration means having them in a house book which I assume they are. Perhaps if you had supplied a copy of that it would of satisfied them.

The house book is also required to get the 60 day extension.

You could go to Savannakhet and apply for a multiple entry non-o there.

they are on the tabien bahn,

But I don't think that's what she meant,

If your married the kids are yours,if divorced there not,

To be honest embassy haven't got a clue about the law, what chance we got ?