Using the same clothes 2 days in a row is it really a DON'T in Thailand?

crazyguyinthailand

Hi. I'm using the same clothes 2 day if they don't look dirty or smells bad. I'm not doing any work now, just waking up late and walking around. of course I sweat like any other person but I'm not doing any heavy activity that would make me sweat extra. also this period in Bangkok with a cool winds and its not so hot. I'm taking at least 4 showers a day.

I can understand it if you wake up early and go to work comes home all tired and sweaty.

an argument against me is: This is no Northern Europe. This is Thailand with tropical weather and you sweat more here then back home in Europe.

I just don't think its necessarily to go to laundry every 3 days even though my gf does the laundry. every 6-7 days is OK. I'm raising this question to see if its really a DON'T. anyway I'm using lotions for men, par-fume and all that. many women think I have good skin so, its no that I don't take care of myself biggrin.pngooo3.bmp

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is not about where you are. We are all have different thinking.

My dad is wearing the same clothes for a few day and that is the way he is.

My mum and I would not wear the same clothes for two days, we would change it.

I think the way woman and man think are different. Just live with it. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I wear old clothes around the house etc but will change to go out anywhere and if I only wear those dress clothes for an hour or so of a night will wear them again next time as long as they are clean(not creased up either), just get your missus to tell you if they smell to be safebiggrin.png .

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

What really qualifies as a "Don't" around here anyway? I mean, look at the behavior of some of our fellow foreigners get away with on a daily basis...

Anyway, I'm told body odor and general hygiene issues are among the negative stereotypes Thais maintain about foreigners. So if you're really concerned about your image here, then you might want to change things up a bit. Doesn't mean you have to wash your clothes every day. You can always have a Monday/Thursday set, a Tuesday/Friday set, and a Wednesday/Saturday set. And on Sundays, wear your cleanest dirty shirt.

• Like 2

What really qualifies as a "Don't" around here anyway? I mean, look at the behavior of some of our fellow foreigners get away with on a daily basis...Anyway, I'm told body odor and general hygiene issues are among the negative stereotypes Thais maintain about foreigners. So if you're really concerned about your image here, then you might want to change things up a bit. Doesn't mean you have to wash your clothes every day. You can always have a Monday/Thursday set, a Tuesday/Friday set, and a Wednesday/Saturday set. And on Sundays, wear your cleanest dirty shirt.

So said Kris Kristofferson.....and Johnny Cash

Edited by Prbkk
  • Like 1

What's the point of showering if you're not going to put on clean clothes? Oh wait -- I didn't mean to say that you shouldn't be showering so often. That's good -- at least twice daily here seems to be the norm -- but if you're going to make the effort to shower, is it really that difficult to put on clean clothes after the shower?

Each year, the European Film Festival plays for a week here in Chiang Mai. You practically need a gas mask to enter the theater for the evening shows, back when they showed them at the old Kad Suan Kaew theater, because the place was packed to the rafters with smelly Europeans. Finally they got wise and stopped letting the overflow crowd sit on the floor in the aisles or on the floor in the back of the theater. It did cut down on the odor somewhat, but I've never noticed an aroma in a cinema packed with a Thai audience.

Tells you something, doesn't it?

• Like 2

I would not wear the same clothes longer than a day, no exceptions, sometimes I change my clothes 2 or 3 times per day depending on what im doing but never longer than a day. Can not understand why you would not change!!! but thats me, dont like smelly **%#@...you may not notice it but someone will.

• Like 1

There two ways to look at this. First, Thailand has a different color for each day, so I bought seven shirts each with a color for the day and that is how I dress. That way it eases decisions on shirts. I wear each shirts two times unless I spill something. That gives you a week in between for the shirt to air out. My wife too cleans my shirts.

Second, If someone does not feed you, house you, pay your bills, or loves you, then tell them to go to hell if they do not like what and how you dress !!

Enough or do you want to know in which direction the Earth turns ??

If going out, I don't wear the same "clothes" for more than one day. As another poster said, I will wear the same shorts for 4-5 days. That being said, I don't wear them to work where I must dress formally. I am awake at home wearing those shorts for 2 hours a day. My undershirt from my dress shirt works for my top. That's just fine for the neighborhood. If I am going out, I make an effort to change them. My ms gets pissed off if I don't. She's embarrasee to be seen in the same clothes 2 days in a row. She currently isn't working, so I guess she has to change them once a day!

No "rule" about this topic other than "don't emit any body odors where others can smell them".

The Thais I've lived with put ALL their clothes in the wash when they have a shower, and most of them are washing by hand in a tub, so that tells you what they think.

The mother of my children was doing this with jeans, outer sweaters etc even in a very cold climate, I had to specifically nag her about this, telling her it was unneccessarily wearing out the kids' clothes too fast.

Thais are used to having very cheap clothes, not unusual for a girl to acquire enough clothes that she doesn't have to wear the same thing twice in a month.

Just buy some more clothes dude they're cheap here!

• Like 1

It largely depends on the weather. Recently it was 7 degrees in the morning in Chiang Mai. Nothing of tropical climate. No need to change clothes every day. And when you look like a lot of Thais walk around in dirty clothes, mostly younger men, but even some women, then you don't have to be concerned wearing the same clothes 2 days or more. By the way: Vietnamese people look much more tidy then Thais and care much more about it.

Using the same clothes 2 days in a row is it really a DON'T in Thailand?

.... you're from the UK aren't you?

Just joking... so am I originally.

Depends on the weather and how much physical work I've been doing. If winter and fairly idle I often pull on the same threads 2 days in a row!

Edited by falangadang

Pants or shorts are fine for a few days, just depends on when they start to get grotty and if you spill lunch on them etc.

Don't wear jocks so no isuue there.

Shirts, I usually hang the one I wore today up to air in front of the window and then wear it a day later, so alternate days etc.

Saves washing, ironing, electric, wash powder, the environment will love ya.

Oh and if you wear socks with sandals, they can last days.

There two ways to look at this. First, Thailand has a different color for each day, so I bought seven shirts each with a color for the day and that is how I dress. That way it eases decisions on shirts. I wear each shirts two times unless I spill something. That gives you a week in between for the shirt to air out. My wife too cleans my shirts.

Second, If someone does not feed you, house you, pay your bills, or loves you, then tell them to go to hell if they do not like what and how you dress !!

Enough or do you want to know in which direction the Earth turns ??

On the other hand, if you buy 10 copies of exactly the same shirt and trousers, then nobody will be able to guess whether you are changing your clothes daily or whether you are wearing the same ones for a week.....

Then the sniff test is the only solution. You need a partner with a good nose who is also colourblind.

People who stink, don't know they stink because their receptors are used to the smell.

I'm not saying you stink but you might and not realizing it.

Dosing a stinky body with lotions and deodorants only making matters worse.

It's beyond me why you'd go into troubles of taking 4 showers per day but not changing your clothes once a day?

Some of our friends from northern climes don't seem to feel the need to possess more than one change of clothes and to run both sets of clothing for quite awhile without having them laundered. And, if they do shower regularly, they don't seem to understand the benefit of using soap. Having a wipe down with a "flannel" and dousing one's yellowing undergarments with some cheap cologne doesn't really substitute for proper showers, deodorant application and regular laundering ... even if you are staying in a cold environment.

All you need is for one of these charmers to board an occupied elevator/lift and watch everyone's hands cover their noses and a desperate jabbing at the floor numbers buttons to stop the elevator and effect a quick escape. Sometimes it's impossible to believe the person spreading this sort of cheer can't smell it himself.

Quite aside from creating an unpleasant atmosphere that's worse than someone smoking cigarettes, it has to be an unpleasant feeling to shower and then put back on the same clothes you've been wearing since the last full moon.