would you still feel comfortable in your home country?

Crazy chef 1

after living here for quiet a few years i sometimes think how i would feel if i have to go back to ol' europe.would i still fit in the system,the over regulated society,the enourmous cost of living?not sure about it.i love it here,i can water my garden half a day and it doesn't effect my water bill too much.i go out for food almost daily,i dont need to heat my house,the electric bill is still under control,the ppl are not looking so miserable when going to work as in my home country,i dont have to worry too much if i violate some minor traffic rules,i do have here most of the products i need,i couldnt even have my dogs with me due they are banned in my home country...and the list could go on.

the only thing i had no problems to go back is to work much easier due of common sense and work ethics.

what about you- especially long timers?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live in Europe, but not in UK, which is my country of origin. Where I live (Greece, for more than 10 years) is in many respects similar to Thailand insofar as it is pretty anarchic, and in some ways even more relaxed than Thailand. For instance, you have to be very unlucky to get done for a traffic offence (seat belt, crash helmet etc), you won't be breathalysed unless you are in an accident, and not always then,if it's minor. Despite a blanket smoking ban, you can smoke in most bars and restaurants (and even in public offices, you'll see ashtrays on the desks), and overall, as long as you aren't too antisocial, you can do much as you please. And the crime rate is much, much lower than either Thailand or UK. I still never lock my car or worry about break-ins. Not only that, but if you offered a Greek cop 'Tea Money' for any reason, he would probably arrest you. I may well move to Thailand in the next year or two, but I can't see myself ever living in the UK again. It is rapidly becoming an Orwellian dystopia, with the state interfering in every aspect of people's lives. The government is in thrall to the 'Public Health' lobby and their rag-tag army of single-issue minority (but well funded) lobby groups.

No, I don't think teams of wild horses could drag me back to the repressions of the UK.

• Like 2

Wish I can say the same, but I am working 60 hours a week now so I don't have to later - kind of thing.

No debts, just swelling the bank balance.

Have a severely disabled daughter to provide for as she will never be able to support herself. This is one thing that could be helped if living in the UK, daughter is already a British national / Thai national, but quality of life is so much better in Thailand - as long as you have the money.

• Like 1

Yes.

But there are a lot of things I'd like to think that I'd do differently- things that I have learned from living abroad where they "don't do it the same".

BTW, home country is the USA, and after I Googled population per sq km, I now understand why so many Europeans don't like it "back home". Dang, it's crowded in some of those countries.

I'd think about retiring to Canada if it wasn't bone cold- even less crowded than the USA.

Edited by impulse

That's a really good question. The short answer is No, and I come from arguably the best part of Oz, with some of the world's best beaches and environment. But Oz is rapidly becoming the most expensive place on the planet to live in. More importantly, I like the unpredictability here, despite the current situation. I have enough friends, I'm never bored, life is simple,still relatively cheap, and there is not a regulation for everything.

I do miss Oz and it's still home, but only for a holiday to see relatives and friends. I would find it hard to fit in back there, especially as I'm semi retired.

Are you referring to Sydney? I go back to Sydney every 1-2 years and while I enjoy meeting my old mates for a beer and eating in some of my favorite places, I just don't feel right in Australia. If I had to go back for financial reasons I could do it, and it is likely that my 2 girls will go to uni at some stage, but if I had a choice (not Thailand) I would opt for somewhere in SEA first, or China, Arabia or possibly Africa or Europe before I returned to Australia.

Wish I can say the same, but I am working 60 hours a week now so I don't have to later - kind of thing.

Have a severely disabled daughter to provide for as she will never be able to support herself. This is one thing that could be helped if living in the UK, daughter is already a British national / Thai national, but quality of life is so much better in Thailand - as long as you have the money.

i am sorry to hear that- all my best wishes to her.

i have to work more than 60/70and sometimes 80 hours a week but god damn,now i know for what i am doing this- not for the taxes!!!the quality of life is here so much better and i enjoy the freedom.keep on going mate you'r doing the right thing.

• Like 1

Moved here permanently in August 1989. Had been visiting for several years.

Now visit the old country (Belgium) twice a year for short visits.

Every time a reality-check.

No couldn't live there anymore on a permanent basis (even if I can afford it).

Yermanee wai.gif

your nick name is quite misleading- always thought you are from another country...555
  • Like 2

i have to work more than 60/70and sometimes 80 hours a week but god dam_n,now i know for what i am doing this- not for the taxes!!!the quality of life is here so much better and i enjoy the freedom.keep on going mate you'r doing the right thing.

Cheers CC1.

She is 11 years old and born with a severe mental disability, we (family) are over the initial shock and get on with it. We are in Malaysia for work at the moment but my daughter is now in the good care of the well known Thai family welfare system = Grandma wub.png

Yes, that old cookie the tax man and the rest of it. As I posted, some would argue that schools and hospitals are free, but they ain't. Unless you pay no tax - take benefits - disabled and can't work, etc. etc.

We were in England for a visit this summer, it still doesn't feel like home - where as Thailand does - funny old game.

• Like 1

No. Too many people are rude and aggressive in the homeland and I've had too many years of young attractive ladies actually paying attantion to me here. That would never happen, at my age, back home.

sad but true,not even at my age(40).

BTW where is Jingthing,transam and naam and all the old veterans- may still sleeping?

i have to work more than 60/70and sometimes 80 hours a week but god dam_n,now i know for what i am doing this- not for the taxes!!!the quality of life is here so much better and i enjoy the freedom.keep on going mate you'r doing the right thing.

Cheers CC1.

She is 11 years old and born with a severe mental disability, we (family) are over the initial shock and get on with it. We are in Malaysia for work at the moment but my daughter is now in the good care of the well known Thai family welfare system = Grandma wub.png

Yes, that old cookie the tax man and the rest of it. As I posted, some would argue that schools and hospitals are free, but they ain't. Unless you pay no tax - take benefits - disabled and can't work, etc. etc.

We were in England for a visit this summer, it still doesn't feel like home - where as Thailand does - funny old game.

i raised the same way- grand mum- the best system in the world,may not education wise ( exspecially not in english grammar or writing)but emotionally,wouldn't regreat it.
  • Like 1

I'm sure I would have major reverse culture shock. At least initially.

There are some things I would really miss (bum guns) and some things I would be happy to miss (horrific customer service).

I can't really answer the question fully unless/until this happens to me, which it might.

No. Too many people are rude and aggressive in the homeland and I've had too many years of young attractive ladies actually paying attantion to me here. That would never happen, at my age, back home.

sad but true,not even at my age(40).

BTW where is Jingthing,transam and naam and all the old veterans- may still sleeping?

Matron has just given them their medication and told them its time for their afternoon nap.

• Like 2

Kurnell- I was referring to Byron Bay and surrounding north coast NSW area. I'm going back in may for my son's wedding in a few months, and I'm sure it will be great and a bit nostalgic. But events like that don't happen everyday and sitting in a pub often, doesn't do it for me anymore. At nearly 65 the inevitable is also starting to happen around me - ie. some of my oldest friends and people of similar age are starting to die. Maybe better to be here where I won't hear about them quite so much.

• Like 1

Originally from the UK, i do love living here, but , saying that, London is great for Property Investments, the Property market there is crazy, and rising each month, , happy to have invested my money there....

Which gives me a great standard of living, which i could never have in the UK...

Only downside here, is ''Driving''... its Dangerous to say the least...

Gone are the days of having a nice car, now its a basic car to get me from A to B....

Thai people are lovely, Food is great, and quality of life excellent... - it works for me..

I'm sure I would have major reverse culture shock. At least initially.

There are some things I would really miss (bum guns) and some things I would be happy to miss (horrific customer service).

I can't really answer the question fully unless/until this happens to me, which it might.

welcome- thought you are off today...