Sonthiyarn's family accuses Thai police of ill-treatment

webfact

SEARCH OF SONTHIYARN'S HOUSE
Sonthiyarn's family accuses police of ill-treatment

The Nation

30226648-01_big.gif
Police search protest leader Sonthiyarn Chuenruethainaitham's house

BANGKOK: -- More than 50 police yesterday searched anti-government leader Sonthiyarn Chuenruethainaitham's house in Samphran in Nakhon Pathom.

They seized two bullet-proof vests, a communication radio and documents - amid complaints from his family that police overstepped their authority and arrogantly ill-treated them.

Sonthiyarn's wife, Thiwa, 53, refused to put her signature on the search warrant but recorded it instead on a camera before police took Sonthiyarn's driver and his aide Worapoj Chaidej for questioning at Phokaew police station.

Daruni Chuenruethainaitham, Sonthiyarn's sister said that police over-reacted and abused their power even though they presented a search warrant approved by Nakhon Pathom Provincial Court. She said heavily armed police climbed over the wall to the house without ringing the bell and were rude to them. She would file a complaint against police for their "ill-treatment".

Thiwa said she was sleeping in the early morning with her daughter when police climbed into the house. She quickly locked the house and only allowed uniformed police to enter.

Deputy national police chief Pol General Ek Angsananont said police would reject Sonthiyarn's request to be released on bail. After Friday, police would seek court approval to detain him for another 30 days for questioning but if the court disapproved of the request, Sonthiyarn would be freed.

Chatchai Pookokwai, caretaker director of T news agency, said he visited Sonthiyarn and found him to be well taken care of in police custody. The protest leader did not show signs of stress and slept well, Chatchai said.

Meanwhile, People's Democratic Reform Committee leader Suthep Thaugsuban called a tense meeting with core leaders at the back of the rally stage at their Silom base. They left the area without giving interviews.

National Security Council chief Lt-General Paradorn Pattanatabut said police would continue to round up PDRC leaders. He rejected calls from the private and business sectors to revoke the emergency decree, saying it was still necessary under present circumstances.

Democrat Party deputy leader Ongart Klampaiboon called on caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to testify in court herself today over a case in which complainants allege that the government's imposition of the state of emergency will jeopardise the national economy, and that the negative consequences are heavier than the positive ones.

Police spokesman Pol Maj-General Piya Uthayo said police pressed Worapoj, Sonthiyarn's aide, with charges of illegal possession of communication radios and pressed Pramual Prachannual, Sonthiyarn's driver, with charges of possessing military equipment without permission after finding communication radios and a bullet-proof vest in the van. He complimented Nakhon Pathom police for carrying out their duty with amiable manners during the search.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-12

Radios and bullet proof vests - are these the "war weapons" previously reported?

Having a bullet proof vest is recommended for anybody willing to publicly criticise Thaksin or his puppet government IMHO, although I didn't know they were illegal (??).

Police in Thailand are like rats in a Pak

when they out number you they are all up and go

but when they are out number

The game is

Find a Police officer

• Like 1

In most countries being in possession of a military radio might raise an eyebrow from the authorities. " I got it on e-bay gov" might not wash.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe the leaders were legitimately issued them by the army, knowing they needed protection from the police.

They were tying in with army patrols, so makes sense to me.

Radios and bullet proof vests - are these the "war weapons" previously reported?

Having a bullet proof vest is recommended for anybody willing to publicly criticise Thaksin or his puppet government IMHO, although I didn't know they were illegal (??).

Yes, a bullet proof vest is illegal to possess in Thailand witout the correct permits, and is considered a war weapon. So are 2 way radios.

So in summary, it is illegal to protect yourself if you think your life is in imminent danger. blink.png

The way things are going, possession of a rubber butter knife in a dissenting manner will soon be classed as an act of sedition. :o

I guess i wont be buying my little kids walkie talkies for christmas this year huhu:-(

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The game is

Find a Police officer

Very True. I was caugt up in the recent skirmish at Laksi last Saturday whilst out shopping and it was totally disgusting to see many of the RTP officers hiding behind members of the public who had been forced to take shelter from the gunfire. I even witnessed two officers removing their tunics to be less noticeable. I also saw several officers hiding inside a shop. Total disgrace.

The game is

Find a Police officer

Pretty much same everywhere. Of course Walker Texas Ranger is a different matter!

What happened to Pipkin's 'war weapon'?

The one he was caught lying about.

come on, the poor boy has to lie /use innuendo as it is all he can do to try to prove his biased crap that he sprooks, what would he do without it and where would we get all our laughs from if he didnt, he is the tv comic and is always making us totally crack up laughing at him.

well then, I guess the selling of police/service look alike uniforms, badges etc in all the markets will be stopped too, there goes all the radios in the trucks/taxis etc, no one apart from service personel can now use two way radios or wear bullet proof jackets, hang on, didnt the police put them on that red srettin that got shot so he could vote. Will he also be charged with having a "war" weapon, what a pack of idiots the police are, they couldnt organize a good r**t in a brothel.

well then, I guess the selling of police/service look alike uniforms, badges etc in all the markets will be stopped too, there goes all the radios in the trucks/taxis etc, no one apart from service personel can now use two way radios or wear bullet proof jackets, hang on, didnt the police put them on that red srettin that got shot so he could vote. Will he also be charged with having a "war" weapon, what a pack of idiots the police are, they couldnt organize a good r**t in a brothel.

God i wish we could go back to 2009 and the Democrats when they were in power and cracking down hugely on the police........ oh wait

Awww did the nasty man in brown climb over the wall and knock on the door ? but uncle Suthep said it wouldnt happen.... nasty men bad ... bad ...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif looks like kindy is out early today, the nappy brigade are starting up againw00t.gif

Sad to say, the BIBs treat everyone below them like this. They're bullies with official authority. Meet someone who has power over them and they're on their knees fawning over these people. Useless bunch of corrupt and lazy people. whistling.gif

'Meet someone who has power over them...' you mean, like the business-end of the barrel of a battle tank's main gun? Actually, that's not necessary. Just the thought of it would make them BiBs shrivel up. LOL...

Edited by outsider

The game is

Find a Police officer

Very True. I was caugt up in the recent skirmish at Laksi last Saturday whilst out shopping and it was totally disgusting to see many of the RTP officers hiding behind members of the public who had been forced to take shelter from the gunfire. I even witnessed two officers removing their tunics to be less noticeable. I also saw several officers hiding inside a shop. Total disgrace.

An insult to the rats, if you ask me.

Awww did the nasty man in brown climb over the wall and knock on the door ? but uncle Suthep said it wouldnt happen.... nasty men bad ... bad ...

Daruni Chuenruethainaitham, Sonthiyarn's sister said that police over-reacted and abused their power even though they presented a search warrant approved by Nakhon Pathom Provincial Court. She said heavily armed police climbed over the wall to the house without ringing the bell and were rude to them. She would file a complaint against police for their "ill-treatment".

Thiwa said she was sleeping in the early morning with her daughter when police climbed into the house. She quickly locked the house and only allowed uniformed police to enter.

I still remember Yingluck preaching with tears in her eyes that people should leave her family alone. "Please respect my son and leave him out of this".

Your saying they just broke in ? I dont think so this is just drama how could she lock the house if they had already climbed in ?

You can see from the pic they were outside the gate of the property judging by the flag so that means she knew the police were there and probably refused to open up.... guess what happened next ? they climbed over the wall and onto the property thats when she locked the house but allowed uniformed to enter ... come on read the report its a bit messed up but you can see what went on ;)

Your saying they just broke in ? I dont think so this is just drama how could she lock the house if they had already climbed in ?

You can see from the pic they were outside the gate of the property judging by the flag so that means she knew the police were there and probably refused to open up.... guess what happened next ? they climbed over the wall and onto the property thats when she locked the house but allowed uniformed to enter ... come on read the report its a bit messed up but you can see what went on ;)

You can also see that is taken from a CCT feed. As with almost ALL the reporting .. who honestly knows!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sad to say, the BIBs treat everyone below them like this. They're bullies with official authority. Meet someone who has power over them and they're on their knees fawning over these people. Useless bunch of corrupt and lazy people. whistling.gif

How do the Police differ here from the West? As I call them in the West, "Corporate Policy enforcement officers" are violating our Constitutional rights. Eg. with unlawful Fines, Kidnap, Threats of death, etc. (Especially with the police in the US, and going that way in Australia). I could go on but I think you get the idea. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Low class tripe - even by your standards.

Next you'll be advocating taking the protest leaders wives, children and old parents hostage - like the German's used to in WW1 and WW2. Behave or else we will exterminate your loved ones. Didn't work for them and won't work for the clan dictatorship either.

I guess if you support a regime that has no ethics or regard for humanity you begin to think like them too.

Im advocating nothing of the sort Just who is being exterminated here or held hostage ? lol drama queen bs and you know it.

I find it amusing and Ironic that people whine when the police dont do their job and whine when they do. They had a warrant and searched the premises, not exactly unusual practise anywhere in the world.

Give me a break people whine when police carry out warrants all over the world, tough luck dont break the law and make no mistake the protesters have broken so many laws and got away with it its untrue, it wouldnt be tolerated anywhere else on the planet like here and the sooner thats realised here as well all the better.

About time normality was restored and people realised there are consequences to their actions.