Suthep urges commercial banks to approve loans to govt to pay Bt130bn debt to farmers

webfact

And here we have the possible "Government " spin on this whole loan thing ..

" RT @tulsathit: Govt's reportedly advised rice mills to seek bank loans & pay farmers on its behalf first. (This refinancing idea can get really complex) "

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it's a smart move. The unpaid farmers are currently the football in a local derby. They will eventually be paid so why not do it sooner than later?

The banks probably will be persuaded to provide loans or at least credit and will also be paid back by the next government. What's another B130bn that can be swept under the BOT carpet to add to the B1.14tn that Kittirat organised?

One thing's for sure, Suthep is outsmarting PTP again and the 3 stooges of CMPO are losing the plot.

I guess those depositors who pulled their money from banks as a show of support for Suthep when he didnt want the banks to loan the government the money must be a bit confused. As a show of support maybe now they have to pull their money from the banks that won't lend the money. Though looking on the bright side think of all the free clocks, bags and stuffed toys they must be getting from opening new bank accounts. biggrin.png

I think the new TAT slogan should be

Thailand. You Couldn't Make It Up.

Suthep said he had gathered Bt25 million in donations for farmers and would use the money as a court fees for farmers to sue the government.

That is why he gathered money? That is how he will help farmers?

All those guys are a joke. Both sides...

While I agree with your sentiments, it would be pointless giving 1 million farmers Baht 25 each. I was wondering what the hell these idiots planned on doing with this money.

Suthep is now trying to save his face. Banks just won't submit to such terrorist threat.

Send from my Mobile

So you consider this a 'Terrorist Threat':

"Suthep urges commercial banks to approve loans to govt to pay Bt130bn debt to farmers

"I hereby announce that non one is opposed to the banks granting loans to the administration," Suthep said.

Suthep said he had sympathy for farmers because they had sold their rice to the government since October but had not received money yet."

Nah, that's not a terrorist threat

"So all bring 1 liter of fuel in cans to Bangkok and if they get in our way we will burn Bangkok down - Apr 2010"

Now THAT is a terrorist threat thumbsup.gif

I don't think he is trying to save face, I think you all underestimate him. PTP will shortly find themselves in the canoe without a paddle. Not long now. I wonder when Suthep gets in if he will have all the pro PTP farang supporters kicked out for aiding and abetting a criminal Government. The internet is far from safe and this board is far from anonymous wink.png

Read my posting carefully. Nothing to do with his latest face saving move:

"Suthep is now trying to save his face. Banks just won't submit to such terrorist threat."

So you consider this a 'Terrorist Threat':

"Suthep urges commercial banks to approve loans to govt to pay Bt130bn debt to farmers

"I hereby announce that non one is opposed to the banks granting loans to the administration," Suthep said.

Suthep said he had sympathy for farmers because they had sold their rice to the government since October but had not received money yet."

Nah, that's not a terrorist threat

The threat he referred to was this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701668-pdrc-leader-suthep-warns-banks-against-rice-loans-to-government/

Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban last night warned both commercial and state banks against any rice loans to the caretaker government with threat of facing shutdown by protesters.

February 3rd, 2014 (one week ago)

You are such a troll spinner, it's not even funny.

Sorry, but where does it say that he was referring to a headline from 9 days ago? Is that referred to in the thread? Are you a mind reader or is it just another one of your TV identities? Oh the irony of you coming on here and calling anybody a 'troll spinner'. You are a little like Pipkins, you seem to be keeping a scrapbook of Suthep headlines to fire off in any post at any moment. Most worrying on many accounts.

Well, you might want to argue that I did not mention what Suthep said 9 days ago and may be just a few days ago. The comment of mine was in direct response to a news report on Suthep's latest face saving move.

Personally I think that the threat to 'walk on banks' was a bit over the top. Suthep should know that for 130 billion Baht loan no one needs a Bank's branch office. Also with the way the government was trying to hide the rice price pledge budget outside the National Buget, with lack of transparency I doubt commercial banks are jumping to offer the caretaker government their money. Maybe a premium on interest rates to be paid may induce them, but not even sure of that.

This latest move of Suthep might be meant to counter the Pheu Thai and red-shirt propaganda in Isaan that the protests are to blame for unpaid bills. I don't think it will help, the government will come with other reasons why some bills are even left unpaid for a year or so.

One of the hilarious things about this whole 3 month episode in Thai democracy is that a clapped out, corrupt old bugger from the south has neutered a supposedly strongly supported party from the much larger north.

Thaksin must have spent the last 100 days wondering where all his friends got to

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Suthep is now trying to save his face. Banks just won't submit to such terrorist threat.

Send from my Mobile

Please reread the article and let us know where and who has threatened the banks. I'm guessing that you are making this up, along with trying to imply that Suthep is a terrorist. Maybe the original thai is different.

Read carefully my response to this news report - I rephrase : A face saving move on the terrorist threat he made to banks and that the banks do not submit to such threat. Threat to shut down banks is a terrorist threat.

ha ha .... this will shoot down that baseless claim that Suthep and the protesters are trying to block payment to the farmers.

Of course the banks won't do it .... they aren't stupid.

Meanwhile back in the real world.

we all saw the marches on the banks and the threats.

Just more proof of this mans instability. He has done a massive flip!!

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pdrc-leader-warns-banks-rice-loans-government/

Even most Thai visa members would have to call Troll on you for that.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701668-pdrc-leader-suthep-warns-banks-against-rice-loans-to-government/

In the real world. One would realise that it doesn't matter what Suthep or the government say's! It is up to the individual banks to access the risk of lending to a caretaker government in as much trouble as this one is.

Or would you prefer to see a run on the banks because people would start withdrawing funds from any bank that lent to them?

In the real world, a madman like Suthep would already be locked up and facing more charges than Santa Claus can carry in his bag. He would never see the outside of a prison, ever again in his life.

But then again, this is Thailand, not the real world.

That's true... but then again so would Thaksin. So as you say that's never going happen in Wonderland.

• Like 2

Suthep said he had gathered Bt25 million in donations for farmers and would use the money as a court fees for farmers to sue the government.

While I agree with your sentiments, it would be pointless giving 1 million farmers Baht 25 each. I was wondering what the hell these idiots planned on doing with this money.

read it, pay for court fees………...

• Like 1

Send from my Mobile

Please reread the article and let us know where and who has threatened the banks. I'm guessing that you are making this up, along with trying to imply that Suthep is a terrorist. Maybe the original thai is different.

Read carefully my response to this news report - I rephrase : A face saving move on the terrorist threat he made to banks and that the banks do not submit to such threat. Threat to shut down banks is a terrorist threat.

You remind me of the mountains and valleys of Wales.

Can't walk ten yards without hearing a bleat

Ahh, like Mandela in his youth. Suthep is misunderstood by the gullible.

Mandela's opponents would be bowing there heads in shame now after misunderstanding him all those years ago.

Years from now when ALL principles of democracy are restored it would not surprise me if there was a bronze statue of Suthep in Chaing Mai with the words inscribed under it "Thailand has today, because you gave it to us"

to compare a corrupt gangster like Suthep to Mandela - is an insult to the late Nelson Mandela who received a life sentence and suffered in prison for 27 years for what he believed in.

Suthep is nothing but an opportunist who's sudden passion for reforms came after they lost the elections - not a word about "Reforms" while the Democrats were in power.

He sees no chance to get back into power by way of elections in his lifetime so he tries it the undemocratic way - with empty promises - his and his retired army generals backers understanding of reforms is very likely to "reform" in a way to wipe out any opposition like all other fascists before them have tried.

The man can be credited to have brought down the last elected "Democrat" government of Thailand with his corrupt dealings - but that's about it!

• Like 1

In other words he won't be paying the money to the farmers. And court fees will amount to 25 billion baht? I doubt it. Very disappointing to see donations misused in this way as I don't think farmers will see any of it.

Both sides are indeed a bad joke.

The court fees are a few thousand Baht, but the Democrat lawyers they use to file the lawsuits will cost 25 million Baht.

Mandela's opponents would be bowing there heads in shame now after misunderstanding him all those years ago.

Years from now when ALL principles of democracy are restored it would not surprise me if there was a bronze statue of Suthep in Chaing Mai with the words inscribed under it "Thailand has today, because you gave it to us"

to compare a corrupt gangster like Suthep to Mandela - is an insult to the late Nelson Mandela who received a life sentence and suffered in prison for 27 years for what he believed in.

Suthep is nothing but an opportunist who's sudden passion for reforms came after they lost the elections - not a word about "Reforms" while the Democrats were in power.

He sees no chance to get back into power by way of elections in his lifetime so he tries it the undemocratic way - with empty promises - his and his retired army generals backers understanding of reforms is very likely to "reform" in a way to wipe out any opposition like all other fascists before them have tried.

The man can be credited to have brought down the last elected "Democrat" government of Thailand with his corrupt dealings - but that's about it!

It amazes me how many people forget or decide to ignore that Mandela was a stone cold killer before he went to prison. He reformed and came out a better man. But lets not forget ai

They are caretaker govt. Not easy to legally take on debt.

And they are now designated 'caretaker government' because?huh.png

Because elections have been called, which puts the government into caretaker mode until a new PM is chosen. If the idiots wouldn't have blocked the polling stations and let the people vote and express their opinion, a new government would be established already and the farmers would have been paid because the government could then legally borrow money from anywhere.

Send from my Mobile

You remind me of the mountains and valleys of Wales.

Can't walk ten yards without hearing a bleat

Come on, have something intelligent.

Beyond question, this is a flip, and an outright odd one. The argument Suthep posed before - rather emphatically - was that he would not allow such a thing to happen. The tactic worked. Such was the reaction from both within the banking industry and outside of it, that the banks uniformly disavowed propping up the scheme. Having said that, the banks were primarily worried about engaging in something that would not stand up in court if challenged constitutionally, as the administration is in a caretaker capacity, and forbidden by both the EC and NACC from pursuing such loans from the banks at this time. Suthep is aware of that, and so is likely trying to gain political mileage from the idea. His previous stance was correct, however, because it was based on the sound premise that this was a corruptly managed scheme that resulted in the abuse of not only the farmers, but the public trust in the transparency and solvency of the banking system. Suthep's call is a shrewd political move, though one unfortunately without much credibility to back it.

It is very important at this juncture to emphasize that the farmers indeed ought to be paid. They grew the rice. They were not paid for it. But this is not the way to do it. You do not fix this by simply continuing the nefarious and insolvent practices that got you in trouble in the first place. But the bottom line is that the administration no longer has the power to raise or delegate monies. The allocation of public funds by this administration would be clearly unconstitutional. The question as to whether the rice in the storage silos is fully accounted for and edible is the foremost question of the day. Because if there are any discoveries that point to an expanding web of corruption, it will mark a quicker - rather than later - end to this administration. The public sentiment is unquestionably on the side of the farmers. And if you asked anyone on the street, they would likely tell you that the rice silos would be in safer hands under the farmers than under the administration. They would also likely say that the rice belongs to them.

a round of applause to you, sir. Exactly what I was thinking

• Like 1

They didn't do any Due Diligence before dissolving Parliament and calling snap elections.

The reason they dissolved parliament and called snap elections is a moot point... it was the governments responsibility to ensure things carry on as normal during the phase of elections.

Because elections have been called, which puts the government into caretaker mode until a new PM is chosen. If the idiots wouldn't have blocked the polling stations and let the people vote and express their opinion, a new government would be established already and the farmers would have been paid because the government could then legally borrow money from anywhere.

Anywhere?

I agree the Dems should have fought the election so at least we all knew where the country stood but this government's ineptitude will mean they will struggle to secure loans at anything other than punitive rates for some time now.

Anywhere?

I agree the Dems should have fought the election so at least we all knew where the country stood but this government's ineptitude will mean they will struggle to secure loans at anything other than punitive rates for some time now.

If the Democrats had a better solution to the current crisis, maybe they should have stood in the election and presented their plan during the campaigning.

As it stands, it looks like they had no plan at all or at least not a better one than Puea Thai has.

I figure many banks would be willing to loan the money. The problem is that Yingluck's government is not willing to pay the intrest rate demanded by the bank.

This is the only bank she is going to qualify with, and they have a great collections department.

2984671_orig.jpg

Edited by BillyBobThai
  • Like 1

It amazes me how many people forget or decide to ignore that Mandela was a stone cold killer before he went to prison. He reformed and came out a better man. But lets not forget ai

I would not say a stone cold killer - in his early years rather a product of a "stone cold killer apartheid government" which was treating a black majority as second class citizens - involving political, legal, and economic discrimination against nonwhites.

Killings of black people where "overlooked" by police, intimidation, disappearances where rampant - so where suspicious deaths - or better organized executions of black opposition members in prison.

Governments like this have always inadvertently produced militant opposition wings themselves - they love to call them "terrorists" - those "terrorists" dwarf in comparison to the terror that the government unleashed against his own people.

I would not call Mandela a stone cold killer - rather a product of an inhuman, racist, fascist, murderous regime with total disregard for - colored peoples - human lives.

Which young person from a target group - targeted only for the color of their skin - witnessing government sponsored terror perpetrated against their own citizens would not be willing to take up arms against it's oppressors if given the opportunity?