Phuket Immigration Nightmare

phuketjock

To be honest I do wonder what the motivation is in "volunteering" to hand out numbers in immigration.

i wonder that too. waiting in there is like hell to me, imagine sitting there all day with pissed off people hassling you none stop. they couldn't pay me enough to do that job

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I do wonder what the motivation is in "volunteering" to hand out numbers in immigration.

i wonder that too. waiting in there is like hell to me, imagine sitting there all day with pissed off people hassling you none stop. they couldn't pay me enough to do that job

No conspiracy theory here. I was there just last week. And from their equally gruff manner (what happened to the eager-to-please farang in Big Thai Uniforms?) They truly are that bored. With being @ home laugh.png

The retirement extension should be an easy process. Just your passport and one copy all pages, proof of pension (from embassy)or the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank seeded for 3 months. What is all this about blue books or proof of address ?

Oh well, gives me a heads up for my next married man extension with WP/Thai income (they don't accept money in bank for this). I'll be there mid December, it's usually a hassle despite me copying every thing I can think about. I expect it will be much worse this year.

Please report what happens. I'm due early next year for a 800,000 baht extension. It was always a simple job, just updating and re-photocopying all the forms from the last year. Maybe by next year they'll have gotten over their hissy-fit and start acting like grown-ups.

Perhaps someone should print this page out and stick it on their front door.

I thought about doing just that with this ridiculous Gazette story:

post-35489-0-99397300-1414845546.jpg

But now there's an even better one to stick on their door:

post-35489-0-86145200-1414846216.jpg

smile.png

post-35489-0-99397300-1414845546_thumb.j

post-35489-0-86145200-1414846216_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Interesting read on a long old thread... Wasn't sure where best to post my latest retirement extension.. I have pension income letter from British embassy showing I have enough income.. At 2500baht more expensive than a visa!!

But update on 2015s trip which actually went very well

This time I found out I needed copies of every entry exit stamp in my passport. And I should have copied my bank book with my name to show I have a Thai bank account but a copy of my Thai debit card was ok although not keen to pass over a copy of it.. I wasn't coming back with my bank book after waiting for an hour to get it all checked by the volunteer... After That it was plain sailing and back to pick up later another year in paradise!!

Post #1 for Paul Phuket welcome to the forum! Be prepared to transform into salty and bitter as you get to your post #5 and beyond crazy.gif .

I was there this morning and did submit this into the suggestion box. The forms table needs to be outside beyond where the queue begins. For weather reasons I know they'll need to provide some sort of extra cover but currently people go past the queue to get to that table, fill the form and then just turn around right there into the line clogging up the aisle as well as the process.

If you don't have the form filled out, don't have the correct copies (basically are not ready for the volunteer pre-check) get that all done and THEN, go to the back of the queue.

Timing means a lot.
I was in there today also.
Downstairs.
It was a long line, and I had to wait about 45 minutes for the volunteer end of it.
Once through there (15 seconds for me as I had everything ready), then it was about 15 minutes for all the rest: Thai Immigration officer (didn't even ask me for any extra money this year), then wait 5 minutes till they brought out my passport.
Easy, the holdup seems to be the volunteers.
Not blaming them, just have your paperwork ready as GOM says above and things will go a lot smoother for everyone.

<snip>

Not blaming them, just have your paperwork ready as GOM says above and things will go a lot smoother for everyone.

Exactly, usually only one volunteer upstairs and one (maybe 2) downstairs. And there are many many more immigration officers. So there is bound to be a bottle neck at the initial check. And so many folks have not even filled in the application form or have the necessary supporting documents.

<snip>

Exactly, usually only one volunteer upstairs and one (maybe 2) downstairs. And there are many many more immigration officers. So there is bound to be a bottle neck at the initial check. And so many folks have not even filled in the application form or have the necessary supporting documents.

The placement of the volunteers is absurd as being right by the entrance it gets clogged up before you even get in the door. It would help if they ensure the doors only open outwards instead of 2 ways. I am talking about upstairs by the way. It is quite annoying when someone thinks they know better than the volunteers & proceed to argue their case causing unnecessary hold ups. Perhaps the upstairs volunteers should be in another larger space.

I really don't know how these immigration volunteers put up with all the hassle. Only one of them, many (usually 5) full time staff sit playing on their mobile phones waiting for the next applicant. I even witnessed one officer publicly berating the volunteer for allowing a retirement extension applicant through to him with no bank letter.

What happens if the volunteer does not show up in the morning ??

The residency certificate scam is still alive. Just this week again 300 THB. Seems also the head guy downstairs on the desk in the back changed. It wasn't the one from the picture. Now it's the guy with bad attitude who was in charge of collecting the 300 THB before. Great.

I also haven't seen some of the older gentleman falang volunteers in a while. I wonder if they are still around.

I really don't know how these immigration volunteers put up with all the hassle. Only one of them, many (usually 5) full time staff sit playing on their mobile phones waiting for the next applicant. I even witnessed one officer publicly berating the volunteer for allowing a retirement extension applicant through to him with no bank letter.

What happens if the volunteer does not show up in the morning ??

Then its 5 year olds in a sandbox wondering whether they should use the shovel or the rake.

I really don't know what all the critisism is about. Last month I did my 90 day in Phuket Immigration - I had the form downloaded and filled in, printed out, and all ready. Walked into Immigration straight to the volunteer desk, by the short time they checked and all was good, issued the q-ticket, and my number was displayed. In and out in less than 5 minutes.

Earlier last month I did my one year marriage extension, the volunteer could clearly see I had all the paperwork in order, issued the q-ticket, I waited about 45 minutes, officer processed in 30 minutes, out the door in hour and 15 minutes.

As for the returrn for the annual approval (ony for marriage & work extensions) the volunteers don't give a ticket, just tell me to go straight to the back desk. As far as i can see it has been greatly streamlined and I have zero complaints. Good job volunteers.

Lik, I switched over to a married guy visa, then did my 1st extension last year, but I'm considering going back to a retirement extension to eliminate some of the hassle.

Since you did your married guy extension recently, can you tell me if the witness and copy of witness' house book are required for subsequent extensions? Also photos and home visit from an IO, or are all of these only for the first extension?

Just curious regarding what you needed to provide, although I understand that requirements can change based upon the mood of the IO.

I really don't know what all the critisism is about. Last month I did my 90 day in Phuket Immigration - I had the form downloaded and filled in, printed out, and all ready. Walked into Immigration straight to the volunteer desk, by the short time they checked and all was good, issued the q-ticket, and my number was displayed. In and out in less than 5 minutes.

Earlier last month I did my one year marriage extension, the volunteer could clearly see I had all the paperwork in order, issued the q-ticket, I waited about 45 minutes, officer processed in 30 minutes, out the door in hour and 15 minutes.

As for the returrn for the annual approval (ony for marriage & work extensions) the volunteers don't give a ticket, just tell me to go straight to the back desk. As far as i can see it has been greatly streamlined and I have zero complaints. Good job volunteers.

Lik, I switched over to a married guy visa, then did my 1st extension last year, but I'm considering going back to a retirement extension to eliminate some of the hassle.

Since you did your married guy extension recently, can you tell me if the witness and copy of witness' house book are required for subsequent extensions? Also photos and home visit from an IO, or are all of these only for the first extension?

Just curious regarding what you needed to provide, although I understand that requirements can change based upon the mood of the IO.

I'm on marriage extension. Will have to wait what the next extension offers, march, but so far no housevisits only photos, no witnesses.

For sure the married extension is a real hassle compared with the retirement extension. Unfortunately I don't have the retirement option as I have a work permit.

No idea what you mean about 'witness' ... I've never had to deal with that.

We have never had a home visit, but they take seriously the map/directions to your home.

Photos of the happy couple in front of the marital home and house number in photo is now a standrd requirement.

When I don't need the WP any more I will for sure take the retirement route ...

Edit ... I applied mid December 2015 and now have my one year extension since 4 Feb 2016, so this is quite recent.

Edited by LivinginKata

<snip>

<snip>

When I did my 1st marriage extension, I was required to have a witness (someone other than my wife) present when the IO made his home visit. The witness had to be included in a photo taken of the IO, myself and my wife at our home, and the witness had to supply a copy of their tabien baan.

<snip>

<snip>

When I did my 1st marriage extension, I was required to have a witness (someone other than my wife) present when the IO made his home visit. The witness had to be included in a photo taken of the IO, myself and my wife at our home, and the witness had to supply a copy of their tabien baan.

As far as can remember when we first applied for the married visa some 17 years ago, we never had that requirement. Must be some more recent requirement. And never had a home visit. Mind you we still deal with same officers as 17 years ago.

<snip>

<snip>

The witness is only required for the first time extension based on marriage.

After this no witness is required anymore.

I might as well ask this question here. A friend has a 60 day tourist visa but in error was only stamped in for 30 days when he entered Thailand. He needs to get this amended. Can this be done in Patong? If Phuket Town, upstairs or downstairs. Anyone know?

I might as well ask this question here. A friend has a 60 day tourist visa but in error was only stamped in for 30 days when he entered Thailand. He needs to get this amended. Can this be done in Patong? If Phuket Town, upstairs or downstairs. Anyone know?

Phuket down stairs can do the amending and shouldn't be a problem.

Don't know for sure about Patong as it depends on their mood.

Phuket down stairs can do the amending and shouldn't be a problem.

Don't know for sure about Patong as it depends on their mood.

Patong should be able to do it, but as stated above - depends on the mood of the day.

you have kids? i found in the visa forum that there's a non-o kids visa that requires 4000$~ US in any bank account(foreign included)

You just need the same papers as a family extention on any other visa, which is tabian baan + kid's birth certificate.

you have kids? i found in the visa forum that there's a non-o kids visa that requires 4000$~ US in any bank account(foreign included)

You just need the same papers as a family extention on any other visa, which is tabian baan + kid's birth certificate.

Why not provide the details of this $4000 "kids" visa ?

Where, for example, is it obtained ?

Nope - no eligible kids. The only reason I had a non-O based upon marriage, and a subsequent extension was to get a work permit in the event that my wife wanted to start a business (which hasn't happened). Work permit aside, it really doesn't matter to me whether I have an extension based upon marriage or retirement.

Nope - no eligible kids. The only reason I had a non-O based upon marriage, and a subsequent extension was to get a work permit in the event that my wife wanted to start a business (which hasn't happened). Work permit aside, it really doesn't matter to me whether I have an extension based upon marriage or retirement.

Then get a retirement extension, easier and takes a lot less time to do. I came in last year on a Non O marriage and then extended it to a retirement, it used to be easier, now you have to get the residence certificate downstairs, then go upstairs to get the extension and 90 day report, then back downstairs to get a re entry permit. The whole thing used to be done in a couple of hours, now it's two trips. You'd think once they had you in their computer system it would be quicker, but no, now it takes much longer...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Have a 90 day report due tomorrow. As things seem to change by the week what do I need to take with me now (last time had the form filled in etc. and still needed photocopies of things they have had a million times before)

Thanks

Copy of passport main page, current extension expiry date, and arrival card.

Hi

Have a 90 day report due tomorrow. As things seem to change by the week what do I need to take with me now (last time had the form filled in etc. and still needed photocopies of things they have had a million times before)

Thanks

Copy of passport main page, current extension expiry date, and arrival card.

It is over a year since I have done an in-person 90 day report as I use the on-line reporting facility.

However, prior to using the on-line facility all that was required was the passport and bar coded receipt of the last 90 day report. (Patong office).

I really cannot remember the last time I was required to add to the wast paper stack !