Thai policeman shot dead in protest clashes in Bangkok

webfact

Sad to hear the policeman was killed in line of duty. His family will suffer because of that. But the protest leaders obviously do not care about that either. Hope this is resolved with no more serious injuries or deaths. Hope those who are responsible for the murder of this policeman are dealt with in the MOST Appropriate Manner.

If they end up in the monkey house ( no offence ) i'm sure that they will. crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkU.png

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RIP to the policeman. Which ever side is responsible for the killing of a police officer on duty it is a terrible crime.

I'm sorry, whichever side was responsible?

I don't think it was the police.....................sad.png

RIP to the policeman and rapid recovery for the injured

• Like 1

This is a tragedy. No death or act of violence is ever to be excused. Yet for all of Chalerm's efforts, this has made the situation far, far worse. Chalerm and Thaksin have been mistaken from the beginning that if only the might of the police were deployed, that might would prevail. Might will often prevail in the short-term, but never in the long. The argument - from Thaksin's point of view - is that those that have power win and those that do not lose. But he ought to be reminded that he himself is a very bad example of that.

This vast over-reach of the administration is unsustainable in the long run. But the " prize " that Chalerm and Thaksin have placed such dear emphasis on is empty. So they retake a bridge. So they retake a building. At what cost ? And to what end ? These buildings and these bridges are not the source of this administration's power. They are empty vessels because this administration does not have the tools of democracy - namely a parliament and a mandate. All they have is the power to crush resistance. That is now the only legacy that they have the power to build. And that will be the legacy of this administration.

• Like 1

IF, and this is a big if, this truly has, and remains a peaceful protest, it is about time Suthep made a nationwide broadcast for the protesters to stand down.

In any scenario, one death is too many and the future of the current situation is looking extremely dark.

gerry1011, on 18 Feb 2014 - 13:18, said:

Yellow criminals showing their true (deadly) color...

It's time to suppress Suthep and his mad following dogs before more innocent people get hurt mad.gif

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hold your horses... no one has yet accused the protesters of the shooting.

Suthep is to blame for this , he is a raving idiot, It is obvious that the firing is coming from the protesters, if the Police were doing the shooting Why is one dead and at least 4 or more wounded, Thai news stated 29 some were injured at noon, did not say which sides.

It is time for the rule of law to be enforced, let the army do what they may!.

Oh please! I'm sure Poo wanted the army to 'do what they may' since day one of the protests. It's the army telling her to stuff it. rolleyes.gif

Picture of used ammunition used by the protesters to shoot at police.

The picture was taken by people living near the protest site.

But funny that the police had the guns to use it.....And there were reports that the police used them.

But of course that could be confused with rubber bullets....

RIP to the policeman. I hope they catch the perpetrator.

I do find it perplexing that the very comments that are said on this forum today by the UDD are exactly the same as what the DEM supporters said in 2010.

Every word from the DEM supporters today are exactly the same as the UDD supporters said in 2010.

The one that stands out the most is "It is time for the rule of law to be enforced, let the army do what they may!"

This comment was said more than once 3 years ago and was attacked and the poster demonized by the UDD supporters. Now it is the UDD supporters saying it.

Cheers

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2

Is that what the police were firing? Without a source, it's a bit hard to tell.

What a foolish statement. Protestors were shot also. The picture could be ammunition used by the police to shoot protestors.

Policeman Shot Dead Near Phanfa Bridge Barricade

By Khaosod English.

13927003771392700437l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A policeman has been shot and killed by unidentified assailant as police attempted to clear anti-government campsites near Phanfa Bridge.

The police launched the operation to disperse anti-government protesters from Ratchadamnoen Avenue earlier this morning, where the demonstrators have erected barricades and blocked traffic for weeks.

Gunfire was heard in the area at around noon time, and one policeman was shot in the head. Some explosions - believed to be M79 grenades - could also be heard near the police line, injuring a number of officers and causing the rest of the police force to withdraw from the confrontation and reform a new line.

The mood in the area is increasingly tense, our correspondent adds. Police officers and armed militants inside the protesters′ position were seen exchanging sporadic gunfire at each other.

Police authorities have previously claimed that a number of "hardcore" anti-government protesters are known to possess both homemade and high-grade firearms.

The Royal Thai Police later released a statement confirming that the police officer wounded by the unidentified gunfire has died. He is named as Police Lance Corporal Pongsakorn Saengklom, a squad commander from Banglamung Police Station.

According to the police statement, 10 police officers are also wounded by the explosive attacks near the protesters′ barricades at Phanfa Bridge; two of the wounded officers are reportedly in severe condition.

Most of the injured officers are from Chonburi province, the police statement said, while the rest are from Chantaburi province.

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-18

Suthep is to blame for this , he is a raving idiot, It is obvious that the firing is coming from the protesters, if the Police were doing the shooting Why is one dead and at least 4 or more wounded, Thai news stated 29 some were injured at noon, did not say which sides.

It is time for the rule of law to be enforced, let the army do what they may!.

Can you point out to me where it says the protesters started the violence in the clash described?

Furthermore your reasoning on 'if the police did the shooting' is misleading. One the police is not supposed to shoot, two the police would only in utmost defense shoot non-lethally and three even the army accused of shooting really thousands of round into a densely packed mass of protesters had a half dozens deaths on their side.

Now as for the last, are you suggesting that the specially training forces of the Police is not doing it's assigned task correctly?

Edited by Sheryl

I wish that all those irrational people supporting Suthep since the beginning of his criminal protest (and all those who supported this mad dog on the lose, even for a limited time) look at this picture and feel the responsibility they bear in this useless fiasco.

But that would be too much to hope for, of course, ... So let's go on with the madness :)

post-12654-13927085389132_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone...

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 2

"The arrests don't affect us. The will of the people is still strong. The government is trapped. It has no way forward."

Yes, the will of .00064 % of the people. C'mon, get the riot gear on and get these mobsters off the streets. Of course give them a 24 hour heads up to clear their children and elderly (that they are using as shields) off the sites.

BTW What happened to the purple water cannons that were being used in the beginning? I thought that was a good idea along the line of ink bombs in banknote heists.

• Like 1

"One policeman was shot dead and four injured," A total of 44 people were hurt, according to the city's Erawan emergency medical centre.

So, 39 protesters injured, do you suppose Yingluck and Chalerm are going to enjoy the fresh batch of criminal charges against them? As for the protesters being armed, i don't condone it, but i understand it. Chalerm announced that he expected that there would be bombings, nightly, at the protests, and so it started. If i was protesting against these criminal scum, being bombed and shot, i might pick up a weapon myself.

Here's another photo of the police armed at the scene:

post-58284-0-68071500-1392709324_thumb.j

Also, there's a lot of photos and a video in this Daily Mail web report:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2529445/Police-officer-killed-violent-clashes-protesters-firing-sling-shots-streets-Bangkok.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/embed/video/1078384.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

And who said the protesters don't have weapons. More lies.

Please calm down.

This is just an isolated incident.

I am sure it is just an accidental discharge.

Not the fault of the protesters.

I won't happen again.

Suthep's protesters came in peace and with no weapons.

More lies.

I think he/she was being sarcastic.

I sure hope so. ohmy.png

RIP to the policeman. Which ever side is responsible for the killing of a police officer on duty it is a terrible crime.

I'm sorry, whichever side was responsible?

I don't think it was the police.....................sad.png

RIP to the policeman and rapid recovery for the injured

And nobody is saying it is. But you also can't be sure it was the protestors. Consider that Chalerm needs the court to approve the State of Emergency tomorrow. Peaceful protesters do not support his need. An image of violent armed protesters however, gives him very good cover, and you have to admit this "takeback" was sure conveniently timed.

Both the protesters and Chalerm have a strong motive for a dead policeman, and it is quite easy in the present environment to place a stooge somewhere to cause mayhem.

My guess is still that it was one of the protesters, but only a fool would be certain of that conclusion without much more evidence. This is a political game for keeps, and the government has repeatedly shown it doesn't care too much about the suffering of the pawns on the ground. That makes analysis of the crime much more difficult, and it is going to require a lengthy investigation. I hope we get the chance for that, because however you look at it, an innocent person was just murdered by someone.

• Like 2