Thailand to sell 400,000 tonnes of rice to China this month

webfact

Great news. Now only 15.6 MILLION tons are left in the stockpile for the insects, birds and rats to eat.

Once again the report did not say at what price the government sold the rice and from which crop. Wonder if they discounted for mold, insects, dead rats and birds or maybe there was a surcharge for the higher protein percentage.

The 2011-12 crop can't be worth much on the world market. Most of the oldest crop is probably not salable to any country for human consumption. I would guess that might be 30%.

Rice sold is inspected by the buyer. Rice is also inspected before it is off loaded.

Your statement that the 2011-12 crop is not fit to be sold is an assumption. I saw one story of rotten grain in a wharehouse.

and that could very well be the fault of the wharehouse management.

Off loaded?

At destination? If that happens the supplier pays for disposal. Separating mouldy from.non mouldy rice is incredibly expensive.

Yes at destination, it is also inspected at time of loading. Yes disposal would be expensive.

A good place to get an overview of what is involved is to look at the job description of a " Grain Inspector ".

They won't know how.much of it is mouldy until they come to break down the stacks. The outer rows will be able to breathe to.lose moisture. Rice in the middle of the stack will be of unknown quality until they load it.

They will have massive losses. Rice is not meant to be stored in these conditions for years. I shipped thousands of tonnes of perishable product which was susceptible to mould.

Beliwv me, we didn't stack it in sacks in piles 10m high and deep.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news. Now only 15.6 MILLION tons are left in the stockpile for the insects, birds and rats to eat.

Once again the report did not say at what price the government sold the rice and from which crop. Wonder if they discounted for mold, insects, dead rats and birds or maybe there was a surcharge for the higher protein percentage.

The 2011-12 crop can't be worth much on the world market. Most of the oldest crop is probably not salable to any country for human consumption. I would guess that might be 30%.

Such positive little chap you seem to be.

Great news, keep up the great work!

Cheers

What good work.. there is NO signed contract yet... At least wait until they actually make it official, remember what happened last time.. it was false information!

And if you close your eyes, oh they already are. Then your wish may come true Mr happy.

Edited by lostinsurin

I'll believe it when I see it....as usual the poor farmers take it up the arse.

they happily took it up the arse when they got overpaid vs market value since 2010 until now

surely at least one of them knew that they couldnt keep being overpaid forever and the money

might run out someday ??

if they havent saved anything for emergencys like a lot of thais dont they are partyly to blame

esecially as they were overpaid for years so there should have been some left over to save unless

they all bought new jeeps ,plasma tvs and shitloads of whisky

I see now :

Posted 54 minutes ago

Commerce Ministry: Thailand never dumps rice in Indonesia

BANGKOK, 2 March 2014 (NNT) – The Ministry of Commerce has denied the rumor of rice dumping in Indonesia which allegedly affected rice prices in the global market and upset many rice producers.

Director-General of the Department of Foreign Trade Surasak Reingkhrua on Sunday confirmed the ministry had not sold Thai rice under the rice subsidy program at less than normal value in Indonesia and other countries as the rumor said. Thai rice currently sold in Indonesia was more expensive than other rice and had better quality, the official said.

Mr Surasak stated further that Indonesia had not bought rice from Thailand since 2013 due to the country’s higher rice production. Before that, Thailand had exported higher-priced rice which Indonesia could not produced by itself such as jasmine rice, sticky rice and broken sticky rice.

The official reiterated that the ministry sold rice from government warehouses at the prices in line with the market and quality of the produce. The average price of Thai rice is around 440 USD/ton, higher than rice from Vietnam and India, Thailand’s competitors, who sell their grains at 400 USD/ton and 419 USD/ton respectively.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.5C6sHNTwTn.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-02

While this has nothing to do with the announced China deal it shows that Indonesia has done no G 2 G deals with Thailand this year : Mr Surasak stated further that Indonesia had not bought rice from Thailand since 2013.

So that eliminates one more country from the G 2 G list

The official reiterated that the ministry sold rice from government warehouses at the prices in line with the market and quality of the produce. The average price of Thai rice is around 440 USD/ton, higher than rice from Vietnam and India, Thailand’s competitors, who sell their grains at 400 USD/ton and 419 USD/ton respectively.

This last paragraph is misleading as it implies that the rice Thailand sold to Indonesia was bought for the average price without actually saying what the price was.