Seeds germinate OK but stay 1 inch tall after weeks = a GM source?

jko

For years now, I've successfully planted seeds taken from particularly tasty tomatoes bought in local markets, and had great results. I did the same with two different lots in early January - nice, sweet cherry tomatoes bought in a supermarket, and 'ordinary' tomatoes bought in a local shop.

They both took longer than usual to germinate, I figured because of the cold temperatures, but when they did - they basically didn't develop at all. Now, after nearly two months they remain without true leaves, and about an inch tall.

I've used the same potting ompost, same techniques, and don't understand why this is happening - could it be the source tomatoes were genetically modified?

Forget the genetically modified conspiracy stuff. Similar stuff happened to me, I decided that the compost I had been buying had been changed somehow.

I now use garden soil + compost and cow poo. However, maybe you got old seeds/ seeds that were out in the sun all day before being sold? Try again, and start to harvest your own seeds once you get a good batch. Despite all the good advice you will get here, you have to find out for yourself, I took two years to work out what was happening with some of my vegetables and take them off the menu.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Could just be f1 hybrids, although they normally grow ok, just the fruit/flower is naff.

Not too cold for them is it? Through the winter, early morning Sun (heat) is important for seeds and emerging plants. I remember moving (February) late seedpots from a North facing wall to a South facing wall and they all popped in about 4 days. (Khao Yai)

Regards.

Hello All, two things, one, you can buy a packet of cherry tom seed for Bt.20.,

thats around 60-80 seed, both red and yellow cherries.

2. most GM crops from my reading DO NOT have kill genes bred into them,

toms have been a big topic on TVF and lots of people have failed trying to grow

them, at least start with new seed if you can't confirm that they aren't Hyb's.

rice555