Surapong's appeal for UN chief to mediate makes no sense

Lite Beer

Sadly, if the red shirts get their way and actually manage to form their 600,000 strong 'Democratic Defence Army' or whatever the Hell they're calling themselves, we're going to have our very own Khmer Rouge. Then we really will need the UN.

• Like 1

This article exposes the clear transparency of Surapong. It is ironic, though, just at the point when the PDRC was retreating to Lumpini Park, that the UDD decided to encase the NACC in cement. One suspects that is something that Ki-moon would not be led to see. Nor would be be led to see the growing secessionist movement in the North. Nor would he be led to any of the red shirt rallies that attack the independent agencies or the Civil Court. That somehow derails the Pheu Thai narrative.

• Like 1

And here we go... The yellows, just like expected, will try everything they can NOT to get the UN involved.

How they can call themselves democrats is one BIG mystery!

Maybe the UN isn´t the ´final´ answer, but why the hell not get them here to help? It surely won´t cause any (more) damage, in my opinion.

And to compare this situation with Cambodia or Uganda in regards to why the UN shouldn´t come here is just LAUGHABLE !!

More appropiate - The (yellow) Nation

Edited by DonThaiToMe
  • Like 1

Ah, bless, The Nation appealing to the Nationalist tendencies - scratch the surface and there is that PAD yellow streak underneath. "We don't need no stinking foreign mediators".

He called for an immediate end to escalating political violence and urged authorities to bring those responsible to justice.

In a statement issued by his spokesperson in New York, Ban condemned the aggression, which included armed attacks this weekend against anti-government protests and led to the deaths of three children.

"The Secretary General strongly believes strongly that there is no place for violence by any side in resolving political differences and disputes," his spokesperson said, "Ban is ready to assist in any way possible."

The top UN official has called on all sides to respect human rights and the rule of law, prevent any new attacks and "engage in meaningful dialogue" towards ending the crisis and advancing reform

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.k-Kc5cy-DD.
-- The Nation 2014-02-24

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706552-un-calls-for-an-end-to-violence-offers-to-mediate-thailand/

Seems eminently reasonable to me. What's The Nation got to fear?

• Like 1

Melyn, on 02 Mar 2014 - 12:44, said:Melyn, on 02 Mar 2014 - 12:44, said:

This could also implode on the green one and the square faced one

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You'd probably be taken a bit more seriously, well, at least by me, if you used proper names instead of childish insults when referring to the people you're commenting on.

(though I must admit on one occasion I have referred to suthep as the fat controller, not without reason, I feel)

Edited by fab4
  • Like 2

Sadly, if the red shirts get their way and actually manage to form their 600,000 strong 'Democratic Defence Army' or whatever the Hell they're calling themselves, we're going to have our very own Khmer Rouge. Then we really will need the UN.

More like 600. I live in Chiang Mai - supposedly full of reds and yes they are red by not Yingluck or Thaksin REDS. They wont join this so called farcical army

• Like 1

Why would any self-respecting nation invite anyone to mediate in their own internal affairs? The UN is a joke of the institution anyway. Have they solved any serious problem in the world? Nope. They're corrupted from the top to the bottom. They take bribes, and they take sides. Perhaps that was the reason for the invitation. wai2.gif

• Like 2

Why would any self-respecting nation invite anyone to mediate in their own internal affairs? The UN is a joke of the institution anyway. Have they solved any serious problem in the world? Nope. They're corrupted from the top to the bottom. They take bribes, and they take sides. Perhaps that was the reason for the invitation. wai2.gif

Bit harsh on the UN there, don't you think?

• Like 2

Melyn, on 02 Mar 2014 - 12:44, said:Melyn, on 02 Mar 2014 - 12:44, said:

This could also implode on the green one and the square faced one

You'd probably be taken a bit more seriously, well, at least by me, if you used proper names instead of childish insults when referring to the people you're commenting on.

(though I must admit on one occasion I have referred to suthep as the fat controller, not without reason, I feel)

I'm not here to be taken seriously.

Is Suthep a dietician?

• Like 1

And here we go... The yellows, just like expected, will try everything they can NOT to get the UN involved.

Maybe the UN isn´t the ´final´ answer, but why the hell not get them here to help? It surely won´t cause any (more) damage, in my opinion.

And to compare this situation with Cambodia or Uganda in regards to why the UN shouldn´t come here is just LAUGHABLE !!

If Ban Ki moon refuses they could always invite that other Korean mediator, Kim-Jong-un.

Actually he would be in a better position to advise the separatist movement of the North.

• Like 2

Not if you talk to people who have worked there like I have - more corruption & nepotism than with PT government.

Not if you talk to people who have worked there like I have - more corruption & nepotism than with PT government.

Now that I don't believe.

• Like 2

One dislikes being the prophet of doom , but how can the U.N. Mr Moon remove the hate that resides in the community, we are not actually talking about two armed military sides, we are talking about a divided nation generating hate , regardless of what they come up with ,Thailand is in deep trouble within it's population base, this will drag on for eons , because each side thinks the other has done them a great injustice, the only injustice done , was letting Thaskin go to the Beijing Olympics.coffee1.gif

I do, wasn't ban kee Moons predecessor's son up on charges over some dodgy oil deals and was using his fathers position in the UN

No one says the UN should not get involved, but they should not be used as a tool to feel putty for a rogue government.

You forgot to take your ear drops????

• Like 1

I do, wasn't ban kee Moons predecessor's son up on charges over some dodgy oil deals and was using his fathers position in the UN

No doubt that there is nepotism and corruption in UN, but more than PT. Not seeing that. The party is all about one man and all others can go to hell. Hard to match that.

UN is just what we need.

Today, I have seen Photograph of PDRC armed men arrest last night. One is the same man who was arrested 2 weeks ago for impersonating a police officer and was back then fully armed. - don't know how to put pics on but I have seen it on twitter.

We have system of court that allows armed criminals arrested by police, to go back, get more guns and threaten more people.

Need more justice for the majority for democracy to prevail.

UN yes please before too later

• Like 1

Surapong must think the UN Secretary General is as naive as he is.

Ban Ki Moon, whatever your opinion of him, is in his job because the family of world nations chose him. Surapong is in his job because he is a member of the Shinawat family.

The current crisis in Thailand is down to the majority of Thais having had enough of the abuse of power and government funds by 'public servants' who only seem interested in helping themselves. Of course most officials of all political persuasions in Thailand are bent to varying degrees but the amnesty and rice scams have brought matters to a head.

Ban is too smart to play PT's game. He is there for genuine political crises not squabbling over who should have the keys to the till.

Edited by bigbamboo

The West, including the UN, just let the Khmer Rouge get on with the job of killing people, so I can't see how they'd be any help.

UN is just what we need.

Today, I have seen Photograph of PDRC armed men arrest last night. One is the same man who was arrested 2 weeks ago for impersonating a police officer and was back then fully armed. - don't know how to put pics on but I have seen it on twitter.

We have system of court that allows armed criminals arrested by police, to go back, get more guns and threaten more people.

Need more justice for the majority for democracy to prevail.

UN yes please before too later

I can see why you side with the reds - your avatar indicates dictatorial tendencies and is blatantly sexist BTW.

You should be ashamed of yourself Jenny!!!!

Ah, bless, The Nation appealing to the Nationalist tendencies - scratch the surface and there is that PAD yellow streak underneath. "We don't need no stinking foreign mediators".

He called for an immediate end to escalating political violence and urged authorities to bring those responsible to justice.

In a statement issued by his spokesperson in New York, Ban condemned the aggression, which included armed attacks this weekend against anti-government protests and led to the deaths of three children.

"The Secretary General strongly believes strongly that there is no place for violence by any side in resolving political differences and disputes," his spokesperson said, "Ban is ready to assist in any way possible."

The top UN official has called on all sides to respect human rights and the rule of law, prevent any new attacks and "engage in meaningful dialogue" towards ending the crisis and advancing reform

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.k-Kc5cy-DD.

-- The Nation 2014-02-24

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706552-un-calls-for-an-end-to-violence-offers-to-mediate-thailand/

Seems eminently reasonable to me. What's The Nation got to fear?

Nice that you support the caretaker deputy FM / strategic adviser to CMPO and Thakisn's cousin and illegal passport courier's initiative.

Could you perhaps explain the benefits to the caretaker Interior minister and PTP party chief as he says outsiders are not wanted.

Guess they're both waiting for Yingluck to decide and rule which direction they go in.wink.png

Surapong's appeal for UN chief to mediate makes no sense

If something, or anything, Surapong said made sense it would be news. Simply listing all the ridiculous things he has said would be a work for the ages. News would be Surapong saying something contrary to the interests of his cousin.

I doubt that any nation would face the world-wide embarrassment of calling in the UN for what is actually and still, a local problem.

Makes very good sense to me. By threatening to get the UN to mediate, the opposition will be worried that Thais will be seen as incapable of leading the ASEAN Community, so it is no wonder Suthep is backing down and negotiations are taking place. They must now demonstrate that the two sides can solve political differences through negotiation and compromise. If they cannot, they can kiss goodbye to Thailand leading ASEAN.