Advocates of separatism warned by army chief

Lite Beer

Advocates of separatism warned by army chief

prayut-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Army Commander-in-Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha has ordered legal actions to be taken against certain elements who have incited rebellion for separatism in northern provinces.

Colonel Winthai Suvaree, deputy spokesman of the army, said today (Sunday) that some elements in the North have conducted activities under the name of Sor Por Por Lanna or the Lanna People’s Democratic Republic which are deemed illegal and inappropriate under the present circumstances.

Expression of different opinions is fine under the Constitution but expression to carve out the country to create a separate state is not within the legal framework and cannot be done,” said the spokesman.

Red-shirt followers in Chiang Mai wore headbands bearing the name of Sor Por Por Lanna and carried red and white flags as they travelled around town in motorcycles on Friday.

Source: http://englishnews.t...rned-army-chief

xthaipbs_logo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xwuNWP8G4
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-02

• Like 1

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking differently is illegal now is it?

"Expression of different opinions is fine under the Constitution but expression to carve out the country to create a separate state is not within the legal framework and cannot be done,” said the spokesman."

They have declared an intention.

• Like 2

The PM is very quiet this weekend

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Probably busy meeting her brother near CM.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The separatists are playing with fire.
And they know that!
In contrast, the protests are nothing.
The land belongs to / from the King/Kingdom.
The attempt to cut off a piece of it, is immediately seen as an attack on the territorial borders of Thailand.
Trying to set up its own army comes a declaration of war.
I think may tanks are already on the way to show who owns the land.
Some "load speakers" are really stupid.
  • Like 1

Advocating secession is illegal, your thoughts, and everyone else's are safe, don't panic.

Yingluck should disown this groups ASAP, her silence (and the caretaker government's) is extremely troubling; specially in view of at least one of her cabinet memebers being part of this movement.

The most worrying aspect was gathering arms and seeking to recruit an army of 800,000 plus

If there is one person who needs to be removed completely from attempts to influence the political situation in Thailand, it is this very unpleasant, arrogant man. Exactly who is his boss?

Edited by DNPBC0
  • Like 2

No, but secession is against the law in many countries with heavy penalties.

I have read only that some people are discussing the possibility and a desire to secede.

Can't see what is illegal about that myself.

You are not up to date.

They opened some recruitment offices already.

No, but secession is against the law in many countries with heavy penalties.

I have read only that some people are discussing the possibility and a desire to secede.

Can't see what is illegal about that myself.

And recruiting a massive army - larger than Russia's?

Let's be very careful about using the phrase 'head of state' and a reminder of the moratorium on comments on the Royal family in a political topic. Further such comments will be removed and suspensions handed out. If you don't understand, look up head of state Thailand.

• Like 1

Regarding this topic, the "moderate" Weng inciting the Red Shirts as we type:

RT@veen_NT: Gen Prayuth may not want to hear what Weng said on stage.

RT@veen_NT: Weng said the soliders' barricades must be removed. They are there to shoot people

I'm not sure how serious it is, let's hope not at all really.

That said, the people of the North and South are very different in language appearance and many beliefs. Working in Phuket and Krabi for many years, I notice a big big difference when I go to anwhere North of Ayudhya.

Countries have split that are less diverse than this... But lets hope the heat starts to go from all of this soon.

That said, the people of the North and South are very different in language appearance and many beliefs. Working in Phuket and Krabi for many years, I notice a big big difference when I go to anwhere North of Ayudhya.

Countries have split that are less diverse than this... But lets hope the heat starts to go from all of this soon.

Go to England, people in the south sometimes don't have a clue what northerners are talking about.

• Like 2

Ironically the Thai PBS website that relates this tale has a section headed "Related News".

The suggested article is headlined

"Army Chief pleads for calm"

He has a strange way of making that possible....................

• Like 1

Walk the walk, as opposed to talk the talk then.