Bangkok Bank EMV (smart chip) debit/ATM card = Chip and PIN?

Hi there,

I know it's been a while that Bangkok Bank uses an EMV chip on its ATM card and all of its ATM machines now read these EMV chips. However, does anybody know if these ATM/debit cards also work as Chip and PIN in Europe/Australia?

Without chip and PIN everything is a lot more difficult in Europe especially when you are dealing with unmanned POS or ticket machines.

Or does anyone know any alternatives for those with money in Thailand to obtain these Chip and PIN cards?

Thanks in advance!

Bangkok Bank Be1st EMV cards are all Visa branded. They generally should work in Chip+Pin Visa terminals around the globe (excluding USA of course, who are yet to adopt the EMV and still prefer cheques), but the international and internet payment features might be something that have to be specifically activated for your card. Many banks globally only issue you a "domestic" card at first and only upon request (and customer relationship scrutiny) will upgrade the card to internet and/or international use.

I still have not upgraded my card, but will probably be wiser about the Bangkok Bank card in a month or so.

Last year I used my Bangkok Bank debit card in the UK, it was accepted by the chip reader, but defaulted to sign only & many shops didn't want to accept it, which means it will not work at unmanned pos terminals.

Thanks mate for the confirmation

• 2 weeks later...

Bangkok Bank Be1st EMV cards are all Visa branded. They generally should work in Chip+Pin Visa terminals around the globe (excluding USA of course, who are yet to adopt the EMV and still prefer cheques), but the international and internet payment features might be something that have to be specifically activated for your card. Many banks globally only issue you a "domestic" card at first and only upon request (and customer relationship scrutiny) will upgrade the card to internet and/or international use.

I still have not upgraded my card, but will probably be wiser about the Bangkok Bank card in a month or so.

Just a quick update: I just went to the local 'city' branch of Bangkok Bank and inquired about upgrading my current magstripe-only ATM card to the new "Be Smart" chip card. They would have done it right away, but since I wanted the BTS+MRT ticket system (Rabbit NFC) as well, they did not have it. Of course I do understand that a small town branch in Isaan does not carry Bangkok-specific cards. They were willing to order one for me (2-3 business days for delivery) but since I told them I have to visit my "home branch" in Bangkok anyway next week, I'll switch cards then. The assistant manager was still kind enough to call my "home branch" and make sure they will have a "Be Smart +Rabbit" waiting for me. :-)