Windows xp finishing ,whats easy 7 or 8

i claudius

Sure...but those programs don't include the money to buy the updated/new version software. Plus, most software comes with an Update Now/Check for Update button now days...and a lot of time you are told you are up to date (sure...they stopped updating your version X-years ago and they then suggest you buy their new version which has new bells and whistles).

Up to you if you want to run out of date software that might have flaws.

I choose not to.

Nothing wrong in having the latest version of software...new bells, whistles and themes are always good...you are the kind of person software developers/sellers like. They don't like me as much because I tend to hang onto software that I like and works unless the upgrade cost is reasonable and the new bells, whistles, and themes tempt me enough....and I'm running XP, Win 7, and Win 8.1 OS and software. Sure there is freeware programs out there and I use some, but a lot of the software I prefer costs money.

• Like 1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As others said: you are running XP, probably a fairly old PC and some SW that might not be compatible with Win 8.x.

Be prepared for some surprises and check thoroughly before touching a running system.

Don't forget that Win 7 and 8.x have much higher requirements for memory and CPU speed to run smooth.

Actually that isn't true, at least for Win 7. I installed it on an ASUS eee Netbook with atom processor. It runs just fine, comparable to the XP it replaced.

Before investing in Win7or whatever check if your computer can take it. I don't know what happens if you use a Microsoft check and you have a pirated xp, there must be other checkup programs out there .

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

This is also good advice and only mentioned once in this thread. I have a laptop that was designed for Win7 and cannot be upgraded to Win8 because the graphics driver has no Win8 version even today. It's all part of the M$ money machine and besides upgrading o/s you will also need to upgrade hardware one day unless you disconnect your PC from any other external device or network.

You don't need to upgrade from Windows 7, its perfectly useable and it isn't going out of support on 8th April.

BTW, Microsoft will continue to provide updates for MSE for 6 months, so they're doing more than they should in my opinion.

Sure...but those programs don't include the money to buy the updated/new version software. Plus, most software comes with an Update Now/Check for Update button now days...and a lot of time you are told you are up to date (sure...they stopped updating your version X-years ago and they then suggest you buy their new version which has new bells and whistles).

Up to you if you want to run out of date software that might have flaws.

I choose not to.

Nothing wrong in having the latest version of software...new bells, whistles and themes are always good...you are the kind of person software developers/sellers like. They don't like me as much because I tend to hang onto software that I like and works unless the upgrade cost is reasonable and the new bells, whistles, and themes tempt me enough....and I'm running XP, Win 7, and Win 8.1 OS and software. Sure there is freeware programs out there and I use some, but a lot of the software I prefer costs money.

I can't think of anything I've had to buy. What programs are you using that don't have decent open source alternatives or are do you just stick to them because you like them?

Funnily enough Microsoft have just announced the Security updates they intend to do this month (which presumably will be the last ever on XP, unless they give it to the Open Source community):

There are Four: Two are considered critical (Remote Code Execution); Two are important (Elevation of privilege, Security Feature bypass).

To varying degrees they affect Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and various versions of Server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms14-mar

Funnily enough Microsoft have just announced the Security updates they intend to do this month (which presumably will be the last ever on XP, unless they give it to the Open Source community):

There are Four: Two are considered critical (Remote Code Execution); Two are important (Elevation of privilege, Security Feature bypass).

To varying degrees they affect Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and various versions of Server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms14-mar

Looks like most of the critical updates apply to Internet Explorer for basically XP/Vista/Win7/Win8/Win8.1/server versions of Windows. Some would say that's just another reason not to use IE; then again, others would say that is a reason to use IE since it's kept up to date at least security-wise.

Thanks for all the advice ,i did realize that my pc was not all of a sudden going to stop working ,and to be honest all i really do on it is download movies ect ,come on here ,do my e mails read the papers and do my banking ,thats about it except the usuall looking up the occasional website.

If that's all you do on your PC, when it is time for you to get an other one, consider a ChromeBook (are they available in Thailand yet?? ) My wife got one,here in the US they sell for $ 199 to 300.00, she only paid $ 240 for hers. It is lite, starts up in seconds, works great, easy to use, need no antivirus,great for surfing the Webb, and basic computer use. Has a small SSD hard drive, so any large file storage such as pictures, music, and movies is best done on the cloud. or USB flash drives.

It runs on a Google chrome based OS,

I see no need stop using XP just because Microsoft stops support, that just means there will be no more upgrades or patches, your system will not suddenly stop working, you will not notice any difference.

I would have thought you'd recommend he buys a Mac rather than give him this terrible advice.

wink.png

the advice is not terrible but quite rational. i am using without any problems XP since it was made available and except for installing service pack 2 and 3 never let Bill Gates (or successors) meddle in my PC with stupid "upgrades".

What do you think is in Service Packs?

smile.png

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

why do you think i mentioned "except service pack 2 and 3"? the latter was made available in 2008. with how many godzillion updates did MS since then clutter the drives of those who selected "automatic updates"?

Thanks for all the advice ,i did realize that my pc was not all of a sudden going to stop working ,and to be honest all i really do on it is download movies ect ,come on here ,do my e mails read the papers and do my banking ,thats about it except the usuall looking up the occasional website.

If that's all you do on your PC, when it is time for you to get an other one, consider a ChromeBook (are they available in Thailand yet?? ) My wife got one,here in the US they sell for $ 199 to 300.00, she only paid $ 240 for hers. It is lite, starts up in seconds, works great, easy to use, need no antivirus,great for surfing the Webb, and basic computer use. Has a small SSD hard drive, so any large file storage such as pictures, music, and movies is best done on the cloud. or USB flash drives.

It runs on a Google chrome based OS,

I have an i pad that i use when away for a few weeks and we have a laptop that gets used once in a blue moon ,but to be honest i know it sounds a little "flash " but i have a computer room ,or my study and i just like to have a desktop that i can sit in front of with a nice big screen ,

So do I.

Yesterday I punched/smeared around on the wifes smartphone to do some cleanup of the adress book.

What a waste of time to pinpoint on this tiny (Thai!) on-screen keyboard.

Ridicolous. Could be done with a real keyboard in a fraction of time.

To the topic starter, if you work with your PC as you described and stick to it: do nothing!

Continue to use your PC until it melts down physically and then buy something new.

I just had the third repair/replacement of my desktop PC (five years old).

(first was graphic card, second was CPU, now power supply)

I run Windows 7 Ultimate (just recently reinstalled) configured for multi language use (German, English, Thai) and will continue to do so for quite a while. I can find nothing in this Win 8 (under the hood) that makes me run to the shop.

I hate tiles biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

I run Win7 on my desk top pc and Win8 on my ultra laptop pc.

Win8 is faster and safer than Win7 and with Classic shell installed you get the start sceen back, will update to Win 8.1 when I get the chance.

I will soon be building a new desk top pc from scratch and that will be with Win 8.1 as OP.

Why not get the latest you can get?

Microsoft , You are really pissing me off, I have 3 perfectly good older PCs running XP ,that will not run windows 7 or 8. If you are not clever enough to just improve XP, and keep it safe. Who is to say you wont just do this to us again in 5 years.Its just a giant rip off.New PCs and operating system.

why do you think i mentioned "except service pack 2 and 3"? the latter was made available in 2008. with how many godzillion updates did MS since then clutter the drives of those who selected "automatic updates"?

What's the big deal. Would you rather they fixed them whenever they felt like instead of on a steady schedule? Or not at all?

Everyone patches holes, Apple do it on the sly and call them "updates" and Oracle do them when they bloody feel like it which is not often.

If you are aware of the risks and choose to ignore them, that's your choice.

I just don't think it's particularly clever or nice to tell those with less experience not to do it.

How big a deal is it? Once a month you say update and go and watch a movie.

I don't see what the angst is all about.

Win 7 is by far the best OS that MS has produced. If you are actually going to spring for a new OS, make it win 7. As someone else mentioned, make sure you have the hardware requirements met before you do so. I consider win 8 and 8.1 to be hideous abominations, and resent the way MS shoves it down everybody's throat, regardless of what the customer desires.

Microsoft , You are really pissing me off, I have 3 perfectly good older PCs running XP ,that will not run windows 7 or 8. If you are not clever enough to just improve XP, and keep it safe. Who is to say you wont just do this to us again in 5 years.Its just a giant rip off.New PCs and operating system.

What are you actually doing with them? How about Linux as an alternative?

Win 7 is by far the best OS that MS has produced. If you are actually going to spring for a new OS, make it win 7. As someone else mentioned, make sure you have the hardware requirements met before you do so. I consider win 8 and 8.1 to be hideous abominations, and resent the way MS shoves it down everybody's throat, regardless of what the customer desires.

So do their shareholders. Maybe you should wait for Windows 9.

biggrin.png

Before investing in Win7or whatever check if your computer can take it. I don't know what happens if you use a Microsoft check and you have a pirated xp, there must be other checkup programs out there .

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

I suppose I can quote my own post. I took the bull by the horns and checked my three year old computer, xp, to see if it was WIN7 capable, no problem using the microsoft site

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

It told me to back up all my stuff and to update a few drivers after installation.

What? I'm still running Windows 98 SE! coffee1.gif

One problem to watch for is drivers. I tried to install 8 on a 3 year old and still plenty fast desktop but there were no drivers available for some of the hardware such as the video and sound cards. Options were to go back to 7 or get new hardware. I opted for 7 Ultimate. I really like it.

Another problem I've mentioned here before is that I bought a new laptop with 8 pro factory installed and decided I'd rather have 7. So using diskpart at the command prompt I wiped the whole drive including the rescue partition. Then I activated, formatted, and installed 7. Then I found out there we almost NO drivers for that laptop for 7. crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

I had to order the rescue disk from HP. They needed my model number and serial number so that it would install and validate.

ON THESE NEW FACTORY 8 LAPTOPS the product key is hard coded in the cmos and validates as you install. The product key is encrypted in the registry. BTW I was surprised that the rescue disk came as an image on a memory stick and I had to set the bios to boot from it to install.

So obviously if you screw around with a new factory machine with factory installed 8, never wipe that rescue partition. In fact, image the disk as soon as you can.

Edited by NeverSure

I have an IBM T-42 laptop that came new with XP Pro. It has the docking station and was an expensive corporate model at the time.

I decided to donate it to an outfit I like who will give it to a kid for school. I securely wiped the hard disk and re-installed XP Pro using the product key on the sticker on the bottom. I easily downloaded and burned a CD of the drivers using my desktop and installed them. I had RAM upgrades hanging around here and got it to 3 gigs.

DANG!! It's been so long since I used XP that I couldn't remember anything. I had to google how to find the device manager to verify that all was golden. I used to do that in my sleep. There really are a lot more changes in access to things than I had remembered.

I would go with windows 8 and the touchscreen.Windows 7 will be the same as XP in the next few years.

I agree,^^^^^

if your machine and hardware are compatible, Go with Windows 8,

in the beginning it will be frustrating, but plenty of tutorials on YouTube , It took me a couple of days to get my Windows Legs. Once you install windows 8.1 which is available for free, you will also get the start button back. In win8 you have the option to work on the Apps screen, or with a click of the mouse switch to desktop mode, which is almost identical to win7 desktop,

it also has the start button, you left click on it , you go to apps, you right click and you get drop-down menu such as in win7 with all the choices you fad in win7 .

I am not sure you need a touch screen, I have it , in the beginning it was a novelty, and I used it all the time, made my screen full of smudges.After a while I stopped using it, a lot easier to navigate with the touch Pad.

I dont know why people would ever go back to win7. except if some of their old hardware might not have drivers for win8.

I love windows 8.1, it loads fast, it is fast, it is more secure, and I have the apps capability.

I see no need stop using XP just because Microsoft stops support, that just means there will be no more upgrades or patches, your system will not suddenly stop working, you will not notice any difference.

I would have thought you'd recommend he buys a Mac rather than give him this terrible advice.

wink.png

If you read the post again you will note that I am merely expressing an opinion, not giving advice. biggrin.png

As for the remark about buying a Mac I don't know where you get that idea. blink.png

I have always been a Microsoft/Windows user ever since I changed from the BBC Micro (who remembers those?) and have never promoted a Mac or that other operating system like some others on here who instead of trying to be helpful can only say "Get a Mac" or use this other operating system and all your troubles will magically disappear. whistling.gif

biggrin.png

After blaming every System, Set Up, Wife, Kids and the Dog ive come to the conclusion most probs come from the Useless Internet providers her in "Honest Mistake Land".. Since ive had CAT Fiber Optics and near 30Meg for 1500BhtP.M. even the Mrs works better !!. I.E11 on 7 Ultimate is as fast as any now.As for Chrome,what an overcomplicated muddled layout. imo.

Microsoft is supposed to launch a Windows XP warning popup on the 8th of March; and it’s supposed to look like the screenshot below.

post-52310-0-84220400-1394530195_thumb.j

Everyone knows by now that end of support for Windows XP will end on April 8, 2014. By now, everyone also knows that Microsoft is heavily pushing its newer operating system, Windows 8.1, in spite of the low adoption rate for the latter – or perhaps “because of” is the better term. There is even talk about Microsoft working on a free version of Windows 8.1!

Guess what? A LOT of users will be seeing the Windows XP warning popup starting last weekend. According to this chart, almost 30% of Windows users are still on XP. That’s certainly not insignificant!

post-52310-0-60201600-1394531306_thumb.j

Back to the popup…

It will show up on every computer running on Windows XP, and it will continue to do so unless the user opts to click “don’t show this message again”. If you are hellbent on not upgrading, I suppose that’s the first thing you’ll do, right?

If, however, you are starting to realize just how serious Microsoft is serious about killing off Windows XP, and you want to make sure your migration is hassle-free (you’re using Windows, can you really expect that?), Microsoft is providing a migration tool called PCmover Express for Windows XP. In a blog post, Microsoft says:

We have partnered with Laplink to provide Windows XP users with a free data migration tool called PCmover Expressfor Windows XP which copies your files and settings from your Windows XP PC to a new device running Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. This tool will copy your files, music, videos, email and user profiles and settings from your old PC to your new device, transferring across your home or work network, and even enables Windows XP users to customize exactly what they want to bring over to their new device.

Source: http://news.filehippo.com/2014/03/microsoft-launch-windows-xp-warning-popup/

Edited by BB1950

And on cue, to remind you that securing Windows is not enough....

tongue.png

03/12/2014 09:28 PM EDT

Original release date: March 12, 2014
Adobe has released security updates to address important vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player 12.0.0.70 or earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh, and Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.341 or earlier versions for Linux. Exploitation of these vulnerabilities could compromise data security in a user's computer.

I just read the first few posts of this thread.

Depends on when you plan to upgrade your hardware. If in a couple years at latest, I'd just stay w/ XP but keep your programs updated, i. e., Firefox & Thunderbird (IE has moved on). Do your regular virus scans. Look up info on hardening security on Windows and maybe use a few more tools like like http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm. Ad blocking helps prevent installing spyware.

Do that and I wouldn't be too worried. Seriously. Me, I don't bother using a real time virus scanner or intrusive security suites. I do a quick scan w/ Malwarebytes once a week, that's it. But my own computer's hardened and I know well how to avoid viruses & spyware.

Now, if you feel strongly the need to hassle around, see if your computer has drivers for Win 7 or Win 8. Either one will do, though if you have drivers might as well do Win 8. And use classic shell as MJCM already suggested. (Me, I don't even like classic shell and when I run Windows I use blackbox for Windows. Gets rid of the Start button, the previews, the jumplists, and does much more besides. I run the taskbar up top and the systray autohidden below. But I just throw that out for the harcore tech geeks among us. Classic shell should be fine for average userrs.)

Edited by JSixpack

I tried 7 some time ago and hated it, tried the win 8 trial and initially was thinking "no way"

Then I foumd out about the "fix" that allowed a normal XP type desktop, now although I have a number of issues, believe it is OK

and bought it Baht4100