Looking for Swordfighting school in Chiang mai

DJ21

On 3/10/2014 at 9:55 AM, FolkGuitar said:

For that he needs to find a chapter of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism,) an international group of people dedicated to living in the past. They get into the whole 'armored knights' thing, making their own armor, and practicing fighting styles used by the armored knights. However, they don't use metal swords. Theirs are made of PVC pipe covered with foam rubber and duct tape. Other than that, they try for authenticity in costumes and speech, food and beverage, etc., at all their gatherings. They do the whole Court thing, with rankings and social standings, and all the trappings. At night, instead of going to bed with a good book, the ladies of the Court might just curl up with a Page...

SCA fighters usually use rattan "swords".

On 3/10/2014 at 11:55 PM, FolkGuitar said:

For that he needs to find a chapter of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism,) an international group of people dedicated to living in the past. They get into the whole 'armored knights' thing, making their own armor, and practicing fighting styles used by the armored knights. However, they don't use metal swords. Theirs are made of PVC pipe covered with foam rubber and duct tape. Other than that, they try for authenticity in costumes and speech, food and beverage, etc., at all their gatherings. They do the whole Court thing, with rankings and social standings, and all the trappings. At night, instead of going to bed with a good book, the ladies of the Court might just curl up with a Page...

10 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

SCA fighters usually use rattan "swords".

Perhaps in some areas, they do.  Just not in the melees that I've watched.  I'm sure every local has its own versions of costumery vs authenticity.  I think a  Bamboo 'shinai' would make a very good, long-lasting weapon, but I've never seen one being used by the SCA.

• Like 1

Perhaps in some areas, they do.  Just not in the melees that I've watched.  I'm sure every local has its own versions of costumery vs authenticity.  I think a  Bamboo 'shinai' would make a very good, long-lasting weapon, but I've never seen one being used by the SCA.

Indeed!
They (the western kingdom) has a junior league I think that uses shinai. There's also a similar group in calif that uses shinai too. Just add fencing masks and gloves and you're reasonably safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app