When is the right time, what was it for you ?

CharlieH

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for those that do cut the ties to home.

Only possible justification from a psychological/spiritual POV I can see is just being so darn skint broke there's just no alternative.

Which may not be as sad, but is still sad. . .

• Like 2

It'll never happen.

I don't intend to remain here forever

I most certainly don't intend to settle down with a Thai woman

For all of my homeland's woes, I owe much of what I am and what I have to the realm and the notion of cutting ties to that in favour of a country where the law is but a suggestion and an education of any acceptable standard is a privilege is, frankly, unthinkable.

Yes I love living in Thailand. I still find its pros outweigh its cons by a very comfortable ratio but I can never forget my first, true love; Great Britain.

God Save The Queen

Agree with everything you say, except for your last sentence, as a Republican I was almost going to disagree, however the more I thought of it, the more I agree, the longer "Lizzy" stays on the throne means less time on it for the idiot who will follow.

GSTQ.

• Like 1

Mate ... great OP ... thumbsup.gif

For me ... I doubt I'll ever burn the return bridge.

For me ... my Thai Partner and our Kids future remain split between the two countries ... the two cultures.

I wish our kids to enjoy the 'Best of both Worlds' ... the freedom and tastes of Thailand, but the rigor and education of the West.

So, the reply is not of a man who will retire here ...

But also, the bridge to Thailand will never be burnt ... because, where else can I be the 'Hunsum Man' ... laugh.png

Yes Honey ... I'm washing the nappies now ... no honey ... I not play Thai Visa ...

Same Same, we have a good life here in the UK and are determined to give our 2 young children the best of both worlds.

To that end they will be spending 2 months with Yai in June & July to help there multi lingual skills, going to miss them like hell but it is very important to both myself & there Mother.

Come retirement we intend to chase the summer and split our time evenly between the 2 countrys.

• Like 2

It'll never happen.

For all of my homeland's woes, I owe much of what I am and what I have to the realm and the notion of cutting ties to that in favour of a country where the law is but a suggestion and an education of any acceptable standard is a privilege is, frankly, unthinkable.

Yes I love living in Thailand. I still find its pros outweigh its cons by a very comfortable ratio but I can never forget my first, true love; Great Britain.

God Save The Queen

Yes the constant bashing of the home country gets very tiring, the UK has been very good to us and the Wife is very comfortable here.

• Like 1

It'll never happen.

God Save The Queen

Agree with everything you say, except for your last sentence, as a Republican I was almost going to disagree, however the more I thought of it, the more I agree, the longer "Lizzy" stays on the throne means less time on it for the idiot who will follow.

GSTQ.

And I agree with everything he says especially the last line, so there we are. It's our home and I won't burn any bridges today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

In our case my Thai spent 25 years abroad and is having a very difficult time readjusting to Thailand, it's been 15 months and is still a daily challenge, I was "home" in a matter of weeks.

We have a home in Canada and a small property in the UK. It was always the plan to "winter" in Thailand but I've fallen in love with the country all over again and keep delaying travel. I don't know if I can ever cut my ties with the homeland because of family, perhaps in 20 years when some have passed on it will change things there.

I doubt we will ever be "all in" as our money is abroad and whatever home we want is only a plane ride away, medical issues would be a game changer for me though and we wouldn't burn any bridges for that reason.

We also arrived here young enough to be active in our Thai families daily life & I've bonded with my nieces and nephews better than I could have ever imagined.

The one problem I had was lack of friends, a social network, however that has changed quickly and I've met some great people here smile.png

I'm with David48, enjoy the best of both worlds, if they'd only lower the price of wine I'd be in paradise.

Yes we are spoiled with the price of wine at home, always a shock when in country

Can't ever see any reason to ever want to burn any bridges any where at any time...

Life is about building bridges, not tearing them down... The more bridges you have, the more options you have..

And the more options you have, the less stress and worry you will have...

I have been in Thailand going on 10 years now. Working for a good Thai company and hope will be staying at this company for the next 25 years (nock on wood)

But no one can ever predict the future... So always good to know that if needed, we could relocate back to US without too much difficulty

Still have US address (parents house), still have US bank account, US drivers license, US Credit Cards... And this year planning a family trip back to US, so wife should get a 10yr visa this time around

All in all, happy with my life in Thailand and don't ever plan on moving back to US, but why burn any bridges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I'll cut the bridges? When they toss the dirt in on me...

Not to say I haven't allowed some of the bridges to disintegrate from lack of effort. Some of my biggest regrets...

Pretty sure the guys from Rhodesia Zimbabwe can teach us all a lesson about the value of bridges.

Edited by impulse

Why burn bridges its a stupid thing to do.

I will always be linked to my home country, my job is connected to it and at any time could i move back without any loss of education / experience and work back home.

Also most have family back home.. why shut those out. I can understand that flying over a lot is hard if your a OAP with limited resources. But even then that does not mean you have to cut it.. Internet makes communiction easier.

• Like 1

Well, since I have spent the vast majority of my long adult life overseas, I don't believe it would bother me if I never went back to my home country. Of course, I never intend to renounce my citizenship or refuse to go back if need be. My home is where my arse is.

Interesting topic.....

What if you never had a bridge to burn?

I left the USA when I was 6 months old then spent the next 15 years living in Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Thailand and the Philippines before returning to the USA.

Finished High School in one state, went to college in another state, then spent the next 10 years working in my profession in two other states.

Finally went the expat route and worked/lived in Central America, South America, Middle East, South Asia, Southeast Asia and a few islands between the continents.....around 35 years.

I do not feel comfortable in my birth country, never have.... I have always believed that the initial 15 years pretty much set my future in motion. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I would have used "burn" and not "cut" the final bridge. You'd need some very large sicssors for that!!

In response to you OP. It really depends on how comfortable you are here and how important things are to you in the homeland. Personally I would never burn the last bridge. Always have an escape route in the land of smiles.

Goodluck

I dunno. You assume that there is a burning bridges thing. I have never looked at life like that. I mean people, friends, places are all part of your life. If you were talking strictly about financial interests that is a logistic which is something altogether different from the sweeping philosophy that you are speaking of.

• Like 1

Why must one disconnect from their past?

In my 20's upon completing my education, getting married and starting a new career, I moved my family to another area hundreds of miles from my hometown. In the new area, the majority of the population spoke English as their 2nd language. After 25+ years, my three children completed their education and began developing their careers with each in different time zones. Seven years ago my ex- and i decided on separate retirement plans and five years ago, i moved to Thailand where i married and have been developing the next phase of my life.

During all these years and until I am physically incapable, I shall continue to keep in contact and annually or more frequently visit family, childhood, school and former work friends (including my ex- and her family). Why terminate just from geography?

Financially, as long as i am able, i shall keep diversified with assets in my hometown, with my children and in Thailand.

Edited by losgrad