Thai police, drunk drivers and cabbies: an unholy alliance

webfact

EDITORIAL
Police, drunk drivers and cabbies: an unholy alliance

The Nation

The surrogate-driver scam is another depressing example of how traffic laws are being flouted in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Some people will find it amusing, others will be dismayed. But, no matter how you look at it, the news that drunk drivers are hiring cab drivers to guide their cars through police checkpoints demonstrates a crisis in Thai law enforcement.

Elsewhere, in both developed and developing nations, local communities and law enforcers work together to crack down on crime. And that includes alcohol-related crime.

In various communities in the United States, for example, Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) - a network whose acronym tells the full story - often teams up with police to track down drunk drivers and help identify establishments that sell alcohol to minors.

Meanwhile many countries have adopted public campaigns that encourage people to take a taxi home after a night out drinking, rather than drive themselves. The "designated driver" convention, in which one person in a group abstains for the night, is also firmly established elsewhere.

But in Thailand, cab drivers - some of them, anyway - offer their services to drunk drivers who want to avoid taking a breathalyser test at the next police checkpoint. These cabbies park their taxis 200 or 300 metres ahead of the checkpoints and wait for clients.

Once he has ferried the drunk driver and passengers past the checkpoint, the temporary chauffeur gets out, walks back to his car and waits for another inebriated driver in need of aid.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau is examining traffic law to see whether taxi drivers who offer such a service can be punished. Since these drivers aren't drunk, it's not immediately obvious how police can punish them.

Presumably there would only be legal grounds for prosecution if the police actually caught the drunk driver and the cabbie in the act of making the deal. The police could then claim the cab driver was knowingly permitting the drunk driver to take control of a motor vehicle and should therefore bear some of the responsibility.

But that would require a great deal of legwork, and Thailand's finest are not exactly famous for that.

The lack of creative thinking about how to combat drunk driving reflects poorly on our police.

Instead of looking for ways to arrest the cab drivers, perhaps police should cooperate with them - in the same manner that their overseas counterparts work with mothers who are angry about drunk driving.

This is easier said than done, however. There is a long history of bad blood between the two parties over alleged extortion of cabbies by police. Taxi drivers are easy prey because they carry small-denomination banknotes that leave no money trail. Moreover, many drivers take up this poorly paid job because they don't have the "connections" to get a better one. And with no "connections", Thailand's finest don't have to worry about retribution.

But not al the burden should be carried by the police. There is no reason why citizens can't organise an organisation here like MADD to combat drunk driving. In a way, all of us are to blame for this predicament. As the old saying goes, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-21

• Like 1

"Some people will find it amusing, others will be dismayed. But, no matter how you look at it, the news that drunk drivers are hiring cab drivers to guide their cars through police checkpoints demonstrates a crisis in Thai law enforcement"

Unfortunately, most people won't care.

A crisis in law enforcement? Where isn't there a crisis in law enforcement here?

When they have 'checkpoints' in Lat Krabang they're only interested in trying to shake down lads coming off the local bars or then excitedly shouting "you, you. you" at me and sometimes even shuffling after me like a 5 year old who's just shit his pants while utterly ignoring the frequent between the students as that would be too much like work...

• Like 1

Many US drunks have joined DAMM (drunks against mad mothers). However the group has been ineffectual in it's efforts to stop the Mad Mother's harrassment of their freedom to drink themselves senseless. And besides they declare they must be able to drink and drive as they are in no shape to walk and that MADD is putting them in dire danger. However all the planned protests fizzled due to lack of attendance as most of the members who had volunteered to participate were incarcerated, sleeping one off or forgot they had even joined the group in the first place. Or as one non-participant commented: " How would I know where the rally was when I don't even know where I'm at... aawww forget those Mad Mothers... let's have another round." w00t.gif

On a semi-serious note. I was attendinag an AA meeting in Alamogordo, NM when a participant announced where a local check point had been set up and that if there was anyone who had not yet made a firm commitment to sobriety they might want to pick a different route. I really couldn't believe I heard this.... but I guess to the announcer it added new meaning to the idea of fellowship. w00t.gif ...need more...coffee1.gif

"Some people will find it amusing, others will be dismayed. But, no matter how you look at it, the news that drunk drivers are hiring cab drivers to guide their cars through police checkpoints demonstrates a crisis in Thai law enforcement"

Unfortunately, most people won't care.

A crisis in law enforcement? Where isn't there a crisis in law enforcement here?

I think the crisis is in top management - an incorruptable police force should be trained and compensated adequately.

As is... the egocentric myopic top management has given BIB authorization to find thier own means of compensation. Essentially they have underpaid and undertrained and thereby corrupted the very group which they expect, and may need, to protect them in the event of a dire crisis.

If the lower classes ever come to realize the power of sheer numbers... or if a "RATIONAL" charismatic leader ever appears who can direct that power... all hell may break lose.

Lots of "IFs".... but who knows...! coffee1.gif

When they have 'checkpoints' in Lat Krabang they're only interested in trying to shake down lads coming off the local bars or then excitedly shouting "you, you. you" at me and sometimes even shuffling after me like a 5 year old who's just shit his pants while utterly ignoring the frequent between the students as that would be too much like work...

But isnt that the excuse of every drunk driver.. go after someone else not me.

Not saying your a drunk driver.. but the standard line is always pointing the blame somewhere else.

Sure the Thai cops are far from perfect but at least their shakedown "maybe" prevent some drunks driving. Id rather see it this way then them not going after drunks at all. Any use of drugs in traffic is dangerous.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it seems a police checkpoint primarily serves as a donation collection point.....that is, don't issue me a ticket and I will make a donation.

Yes it is.. no matter what you do wrong usually you can drive on after having paid, same goes for if they do give you a ticket.

I have seen cars that are over loaded but still can go on after paying. Where i come from they cant go untill they have a second car help them or take out part of their load. But that would of course be a lot like real work and impede their money collection

Still i think this is better as not doing a thing as they do stop the guys and make them pay so they feel it in their wallet.

Far from perfect but better as nothing. Drunks that drive should be punished real hard 20.000 sounds about right. I bet that would help a lot. Besides in BKK you don't need to drink and drive enough taxi's and if you can afford a night out you can afford a taxi.

Hardly the thing to write an Editorial about.....it's simply a matter of the cops being a bunch of useless jerks...poor training, no discipline, no morals or ethics....and mercenarily corrupted through the entire force.

Hardly the thing to write an Editorial about.....it's simply a matter of the cops being a bunch of useless jerks...poor training, no discipline, no morals or ethics....and mercenarily corrupted through the entire force.

Unfortunately it seems a police checkpoint primarily serves as a donation collection point.....that is, don't issue me a ticket and I will make a donation.

Yes it is.. no matter what you do wrong usually you can drive on after having paid, same goes for if they do give you a ticket.

I have seen cars that are over loaded but still can go on after paying. Where i come from they cant go untill they have a second car help them or take out part of their load. But that would of course be a lot like real work and impede their money collection

Still i think this is better as not doing a thing as they do stop the guys and make them pay so they feel it in their wallet.

Far from perfect but better as nothing. Drunks that drive should be punished real hard 20.000 sounds about right. I bet that would help a lot. Besides in BKK you don't need to drink and drive enough taxi's and if you can afford a night out you can afford a taxi.

Try to get a taxi from soi 11 after 11pm with the taximer on!

.....truly pathetic....

...but if a society condones abortions in Buddhist temples.....I guess anything goes...???

...whatever you can get away with is okay.....???

(...and if caught...smile...wai....and say sorry......)

Finally a very well written, intelligent editorial by the Nation. I wonder if finally the authorities can get their act together and crack down on this. Why have laws if the only incentive is, at most, to get a bit of money in the name of the law but allow offenders to continue as if there were no law? It's the same thing with speed limits. As far as I'm concerned, there are effectively no speed limits in Thailand. For starters, speed limit signs are extremely rare, but even if I see one, I snicker to myself safe in the knowledge that nothing will happen if I were to drive faster than what's posted. What matters more is that you are sensible about your speed and drive defensively in such a way that you avoid an accident. It's really every man for himself on the roads in this part of the world, particularly in Thailand.

'Since these [taxi] drivers aren't drunk, it's not immediately obvious how police can punish them.' Hardly rocket science, I should have thought. Or is aiding and abetting not an offence in Thai criminal law? The police know about it and the taxi drivers are unlikely either to be parked very far back from the checkpoint - walking is not a Thai pastime - or to stop too far past it. But, of course, the issues, as always in Thailand, are on-the-spot 'fines' and the ludicrously small official fines that the law imposes for any-and-all offences.

'... perhaps police should cooperate with them ... their overseas counterparts work with mothers who are angry about drunk driving.' It's parents, not just mothers, who view drunk driving as a serious crime. There's little in common between Thai taxi drivers who are happy to aid and abet the commission of a crime and parents whose child might just be the victim of a drunk driver's gross stupidity.

Absolutely correct. Happened to a friend of mine in Bangkok and the cops got a 6,000 baht paycheck, in cash of course. Told my friend to have a good nite and he proceeded to continue driving himself home.

Anyway, would prefer this rather than the $10,000 it costs in Calif. for the first offence (fine, traffic school, lawyer and other expenses) plus loss of license for 30 days (which means lose job potentially, all for a couple glasses of wine which puts someone over the .08 limit. In one area I know of they have "cop spies" hanging out at bars who call the police to nab the suspect as soon as they start up their car and jail them overnight. The city uses this extra revenue to supplement their income which the state has cut back to the bone.

One of the reasons to not own a car in Bangkok if one wishes to have a few drinks on occasion. I found outside of BKK there are few, if any, police roadblocks unless during the peak holidays, such as on Phuket, and then the rule is to drive home after 10 PM since the cops never man the roadblocks after that time in order to go out and have some drinks themselves. Wonderful Thailand and thank God I no longer live in the US.

The Thai police again not knowing what to do...the poor fellas

establish a checkpoint, then about 200-300 meters position some more officers...problem solved, dummies

Ain't you bright. And exactly what do those redundant officers see that tips them off? Even if two fully operating check points were established a few hundred meters apart they could be worked around in the same way. How long to you think this double-up would be a surprise strategy? Heck the same cab driver could do it and simply charge more for needing to walk further (or he could catch a cab smile.png ) Also there is not unlimited police manpower. Edited by techboy

Absolutely correct. Happened to a friend of mine in Bangkok and the cops got a 6,000 baht paycheck, in cash of course. Told my friend to have a good nite and he proceeded to continue driving himself home.

Anyway, would prefer this rather than the $10,000 it costs in Calif. for the first offence (fine, traffic school, lawyer and other expenses) plus loss of license for 30 days (which means lose job potentially, all for a couple glasses of wine which puts someone over the .08 limit. I found outside of BKK there are few, if any, police roadblocks unless during the peak holidays, such as on Phuket, and then the rule is to drive home after 10 PM since the cops never man the roadblocks after that time in order to go out and have some drinks themselves. Wonderful Thailand and thank God I no longer live in the US.

You're either a lunatic or a troll.

The US is probably grateful to get rid of such scum.

Edited by Phatcharanan

establish a checkpoint, then about 200-300 meters position some more officers...problem solved, dummies

Ain't you bright. And exactly what do those redundant officers see that tips them off? Even if two fully operating check points were established a few hundred meters apart they could be worked around in the same way. How long to you think this double-up would be a surprise strategy? Heck the same cab driver could do it and simply charge more for needing to walk further (or he could catch a cab smile.png ) Also there is not unlimited police manpower.

don't be so negative, techboy. All the BiB has to do is adapt to new situations, be creative and experiment. Instead they complain when someone found a workaround to their old strategies. As for the unlimited manpower, just employ all those cops on inactive posts. tongue.png

Anyway, would prefer this rather than the $10,000 it costs in Calif. for the first offence (fine, traffic school, lawyer and other expenses) plus loss of license for 30 days (which means lose job potentially, all for a couple glasses of wine which puts someone over the .08 limit. I found outside of BKK there are few, if any, police roadblocks unless during the peak holidays, such as on Phuket, and then the rule is to drive home after 10 PM since the cops never man the roadblocks after that time in order to go out and have some drinks themselves. Wonderful Thailand and thank God I no longer live in the US.

You're either a lunatic or a troll.

The US is probably grateful to get rid of such scum.

The guy has a point, albeit too much of a cavalier attitude. There is a good deal of argument that the 'alcohol & driving pendulum' has swung too far the other way in the USA. As to his "...thank God I no longer live in the US."- somehow it sounds like the sort of crack that one could end up eating- not by way of any sort of retribution but just ending up an ass.

Ain't you bright. And exactly what do those redundant officers see that tips them off? Even if two fully operating check points were established a few hundred meters apart they could be worked around in the same way. How long to you think this double-up would be a surprise strategy? Heck the same cab driver could do it and simply charge more for needing to walk further (or he could catch a cab smile.png ) Also there is not unlimited police manpower.
don't be so negative, techboy. All the BiB has to do is adapt to new situations, be creative and experiment. Instead they complain when someone found a workaround to their old strategies. As for the unlimited manpower, just employ all those cops on inactive posts. tongue.png
The only complaining I see is in the hypothetical response of police in needing to do footwork in the article's hypothetical solution. About pulling inactive police posts- Inactive, yeah, until a cop gets yanked off of it and then there is a situation in which he is needed there hit-the-fan.gif